C Trevor Kuntar - Youngstown Phantoms, USHL (2020, 89th, BOS)

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I didn't think he'd go this high, but he should've been picked first time around. Really good sense, competes hard, has some offensive ability. Plays the center of the ice well. Skating is maybe a little iffy, but not terrible. Probably a bottom six center in the NHL. Maybe a good one. He's a Bruins type of pick. Hard working, gritty player who can chip in some points.

The main thing I wouldn't like is that he's a Harvard kid. These Harvard kids often want to stay in school. And if you let him get past his second year, you are giving him a real decision for his third year. Once he gets to his fourth year, he's almost certainly going to see if he can get a better offer than the team that drafted him. Thats the big danger with Harvard picks.

He switched to Boston College it looks like

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I didn't think he'd go this high, but he should've been picked first time around. Really good sense, competes hard, has some offensive ability. Plays the center of the ice well. Skating is maybe a little iffy, but not terrible. Probably a bottom six center in the NHL. Maybe a good one. He's a Bruins type of pick. Hard working, gritty player who can chip in some points.

The main thing I wouldn't like is that he's a Harvard kid. These Harvard kids often want to stay in school. And if you let him get past his second year, you are giving him a real decision for his third year. Once he gets to his fourth year, he's almost certainly going to see if he can get a better offer than the team that drafted him. Thats the big danger with Harvard picks.

from this highlight ... not seeing this. He is showing burst and lower body strength able to split the Ds like that

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He switched to Boston College it looks like

Then thats good for the Bruins. Will be a lot easier to sign.

The video of his skating was more about his top speed. I'm not saying its a huge problem, but I don't think he accelerates that well past defenders over a short distance or is the best east to west either. I don't make much of top speed because how often do players have those types of skating sequences during a game. Their ability to accelerate past players in a small area or to pivot, turn is a lot more important. Those are more in-game skills. Those are also lower league defenders. Being good for the NHL and being good for the USHL are two different things. A short video doesn't always give the best idea either of a certain skill for a player.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Then thats good for the Bruins. Will be a lot easier to sign.

The video of his skating was more about his top speed. I'm not saying its a huge problem, but I don't think he accelerates that well past defenders over a short distance or is the best east to west either. I don't make much of top speed because how often do players have those types of skating sequences during a game. Their ability to accelerate past players in a small area or to pivot, turn is a lot more important. Those are more in-game skills. Those are also lower league defenders. Being good for the NHL and being good for the USHL are two different things. A short video doesn't always give the best idea either of a certain skill for a player.

I agree but also disagree

top end speed helps with pressuring/forchecking/causing panic for Ds. Backchecking and joining rushes for odd man chances

I do agree ability to accelerate in tight/east west is a higher end skating skill.

Perhaps pilon drills etc can help Kuntar refine his edgework on the ice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad