C Trevor Kuntar - Youngstown Phantoms, USHL (2020, 89th, BOS)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I had never heard of this guy, but I saw him play today and he looked impressive. Good enough to make a thread. Stats on the year aren't bad either. He's 13th among U18's in the USHL in PPG, not counting the NTDP players.

He scored the game winning goal with one second left after banking the puck off the goalie who was caught out of position. Looked like a well-rounded player who doesn't do anything great, but does a lot well.

I suspect he'll be a late-round pick, so he's more of an unheralded guy that could come good for an NHL team in 4-5 years. He's committed to Harvard for the 2020-21 season.

Trevor Kuntar at eliteprospects.com

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
If I were an NHL scout I would be worried about drafting Harvard bound prospects.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
If I were an NHL scout I would be worried about drafting Harvard bound prospects.

Going to Harvard certainly isnt a good thing nowadays since there seems to be a trend of players staying 4 years and graduating and becoming free agents (Vesey and possibly Fox)....Harvard degree and free agency where you can pick your place to play is pretty smart...damn those Harvard guys!

Totally agree with assessment on Kuntar...well rounded, does a lot well...kind of gets lost in the shuffle with Brett Murray on the team but still a good player. Watching Brett Murray play in the USHL is pretty funny. Obviously Murray had to play somewhere in between transferring from Penn St. to Miami but seeing a 20 year old 6'5 and 225 man going against 16 years olds is comical.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
This kids a player, good skill, high compete, great head on his shoulders. Know him personally, he's the kid who's gonna go undrafted and unnoticed and carve out a nice pro career out of college. In my opinion...

Reactions: My3Sons

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018

It's really about the coaching. They get a ton of talent there (Harvard kinda sells itself....), but have only made 1 frozen four during this coaching reign, and more times then not - don't even make the NCAA's. Players just don't seem to get better there.

Reactions: Newfoundland

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Its probably why you are not an NHL scout..... ridiculous!

Is anyone here NHL scouts? I'm just saying if you're deciding between two prospects, don't take the one committed to an ivy league school. At least while the NHL allows for college students to become UFA's, why put that unnecessary risk on your club? I am sure NHL scouts consider this when drafting. If you think they dont.......ridiculous!

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
Is anyone here NHL scouts? I'm just saying if you're deciding between two prospects, don't take the one committed to an ivy league school. At least while the NHL allows for college students to become UFA's, why put that unnecessary risk on your club? I am sure NHL scouts consider this when drafting. If you think they dont.......ridiculous!

because it rarely happens as much as its talked about when you look at the number of kids we are talking about. this is no bigger of a risk with Ivy school kids as it is any other NCAA player and considering 1/3 of the NHL is NCAA players, that's a deep talent pool you would be ignoring and that is a fireable offense to write off 1/3 of the talent pool....

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This kids a player, good skill, high compete, great head on his shoulders. Know him personally, he's the kid who's gonna go undrafted and unnoticed and carve out a nice pro career out of college. In my opinion...

And you were right. He went undrafted, and has upped his point totals this year significantly. Now 16 points in 11 games. He could be drafted this year. A smart team would draft him in one of the late rounds. He should've been picked last year.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
And you were right. He went undrafted, and has upped his point totals this year significantly. Now 16 points in 11 games. He could be drafted this year. A smart team would draft him in one of the late rounds. He should've been picked last year.

haha Hopefully he keeps it up. if he keeps scoring he’ll probly be a late pick. Tho his compete level might push him up a little higher similiar to Pinto or that Swedish overeager LA took whos nane is escaping me.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
25 points in 21 games. Saw a few games of his at the WJAC. I still think a team is getting a steal if they draft him in the late rounds this year. He’s not flashy and may never be a PP guy in the NHL, but I’d be surprised if he didn’t reach the league. His sense and compete is really good and he does most things well. I could see him as a good bottom six center in the NHL.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
There's not much data on over-agers in the USHL so its hard to say based on production. There have been other guys scoring at similar rates that havent gone on to do much/anything. But if he has the skills for bottom 6 it could be worth it

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Worth a mid-round pick as an overager?

Yes. High IQ, compete level. Has some skill and good size. Will play the middle of the ice. Probably not a high upside guy thats going to play on the first line, unlikely for the second line either, but he's probably at least a good AHL player, if he doesn't make the NHL as a good bottom six guy.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Yes. High IQ, compete level. Has some skill and good size. Will play the middle of the ice. Probably not a high upside guy thats going to play on the first line, unlikely for the second line either, but he's probably at least a good AHL player, if he doesn't make the NHL as a good bottom six guy.

At the highest end of his potential spectrum, perhaps a Nick Bonino type?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
any other intel?

I didn't think he'd go this high, but he should've been picked first time around. Really good sense, competes hard, has some offensive ability. Plays the center of the ice well. Skating is maybe a little iffy, but not terrible. Probably a bottom six center in the NHL. Maybe a good one. He's a Bruins type of pick. Hard working, gritty player who can chip in some points.

The main thing I wouldn't like is that he's a Harvard kid. These Harvard kids often want to stay in school. And if you let him get past his second year, you are giving him a real decision for his third year. Once he gets to his fourth year, he's almost certainly going to see if he can get a better offer than the team that drafted him. Thats the big danger with Harvard picks.

Reactions: rocketdan9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad