C Tommy Novak - Waterloo Black Hawks, USHL (2015, 85th, NSH)

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
C Thomas Novak - Waterloo Black Hawks, USHL (2015 Draft)

Ranked in the 1st round for 2015, seems to have high-end skill. Used to be little but now listed at 6'0, 181lb, started slow but currently a PPG player in the USHL. Won a Minnesota high school championship and had 3 points in the gold medal game against Denmark at the Jr. A Challenge to win the gold medal, finished second to Ehlers in tournament scoring. So he has some big game jam.

http://www.tsn.ca/video/world-junior-a-challenge-usa-3-denmark-2-ot-1.165013

From limited viewings I think he could turn out to a great player. Has anyone seen him play in the USHL?

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
i think this kid is gonna be the best American forward in the draft after Connor and Eichel. Anyone know why he wasnt named to the WJC 18 team especially after being the top scorer on the WJAC U19 team as a 17 year old?

dwanmaster*

i think this kid is gonna be the best American forward in the draft after Connor and Eichel. Anyone know why he wasnt named to the WJC 18 team especially after being the top scorer on the WJAC U19 team as a 17 year old?

They only took a goalie from outside the NTDP. I agree though, Novak has elite hands and vision

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I would like to know more about this kid. I know very little about him but have heard good things about him. What's the major knock against him? Size? What would be a decent comparison to him at the NHL level? Derek Stepan?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I would like to know more about this kid. I know very little about him but have heard good things about him. What's the major knock against him? Size? What would be a decent comparison to him at the NHL level? Derek Stepan?

I think Stepan is a really good stylistic comparable.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
If I remember, Stepan had a strange stride when he was younger and I think Novak kind of does, too.

jetkarma*

he wont probably, Button has him ranked 19th and he has put up some good numbers in USHL and in WJC U 19 as a 17 year old.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2015-draft/prospect-rankings/

Only Pronman has him listed as a first besides Button on this list compilation , and he has him at 30 . He's a guy that could be there early in the second . Not opposed to him being the second first rounder for Winnipeg , lots of players grouped similarly and I think this draft will be very fluid.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
So talented, but so so soft. His agility with the puck and vision puck skills and playmaking ability are top notch but he does not appear to want to do anything involved with actually getting the puck or being involved with physical contact right now. In my views at the beginning of the year I thought it was an adjustment period coming to a higher level of play and he would adapt and be more dangerous but circling back at the end of the year it was the same if not worse at moments, seemed like he approached the season as it progressed to figure out ways to make his dangerous skill work for him without playing a hard game rather than playing a harder game so he could find more ways to impact the game using his skill. I want to like him and you cannot discount the puck skill and deceptiveness with the puck but this is looking to me like a player that is an AHL scorer or a high-scoring European player right now. But like I said, I don't want to just throw him in the trash can just yet because of all the skill he has.

I will say the best game I caught him in was the World Junior A Challenge Final, playing on a line with Connor and Boeser he really shined.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Any clue why Mackenzie had this guy 57th? Seems like most other places have him an early 2nd rounder

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
if novak drops to #50 i think he would be a good choice for the wild. (along with a handful of others) looks like all teams will improve this draft if thats even possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad