C Terrell Draude - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2015 undrafted)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
A big and raw kid for the Hitmen, it's time he got his own thread. Has had an up and down start to the season, but I'm sure some teams will have some interest in him. Skating isn't bad for someone his size (6'3, 220) but he still needs to work on using that size more to his advantage. Has a good shot and good puck protection skills. Reminds me a bit of Dustin Penner, in more ways than one.

Here's my November blurb on him for the draft rankings:

20 (17) – Terrell Draude – C – Calgary Hitmen – Draude drops a few spots from last month but is still a prospect to watch. He’s a mammoth at 6’3 and over 220 pounds, skating quite well for a kid who is that big. He has some intriguing offensive skills including a good release and good puck protection ability. I want to see more intensity and consistency in his game. He has all the tools, he just has to want to use them every night, strength especially.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2014/11/2015-nhl-draft-rankings-second-edition.html

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
Raw is exactly the way I'd put it. There's a player in there somewhere, but it's not always evident.

I know he's got just 2 goals and 11 assists, but I really feel he's going to be one of those guys who scores as much as he gets apples. Really good tools, but one of those guys who's going to need some development time.

That being said, the fact that he's a pretty good skater and his size probably gets him in the top 3 rounds of the draft, at minimum. Someone is going to fall in love with his physical package and believe that they can develop the rest of his game properly. But he really does need an organization that knows how to work with younger players, because he's such a project pick.

Jun 15, 2014
Just saw this kid tonight and I was very impressed. Skates a lot like Lucic, so not all that great but when he wants to he seems to be a step ahead of the play, made a really sweet pass that led to a goal.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Guy is fairly out of shape respective to being a major junior hockey player, could be a force if he gets his conditioning in check.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
I have been generally unimpressed with Draude for 2 seasons now. He was drafted by the Hitmen on the basis of his size, and the hope that he can refine his game around that.

He doesn't play as physical as a guy his size should (look at Malenstyn on the same team as how a big, young power forward should be playing). His skating is better this year, but still poor. He's got an absolute cannon of a wrist shot, but it seems he needs to be in the perfect situation to take it as he's always looking to improve his position before shooting (reminds me of watching beer-league guys that can rip on outdoor ice but in a game situation can't take a shot in stride).

He'll probably get drafted 6th/7th round by a team willing to take a flyer on the concept of "you can't teach size" and that a good development program will turn him into an NHL power forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad