Prospect Info: C Stephan Halliday (104th Overall)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I gotta look back but i thought he was also injured in his draft year. Definitely agree it was a stretch and the subsequent injuries definitely made it even worse. Feels like we wasted 3 years of 1st round picks from 21-23
he was injured in his draft year

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I get the idea of drafting what seemed like a high floor energy guy in a year when scouting was limited and most guys had small sample sizes to go by.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I wonder if Halliday will challenge Kastelic for that 4th line centre spot at training camp? Halliday would make that position more offensive while Katelic is more of a defensive forward.

Which 4th line would you prefer?
Ostapchuk - Halliday - Sokolov
Kachouk - Kastelic - Kelly/MacEwan

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I wonder if Halliday will challenge Kastelic for that 4th line centre spot at training camp? Halliday would make that position more offensive while Katelic is more of a defensive forward.

My preference for our bottom six next year would be

Joseph-Greig-UFA
Kelly-Kastelic-Ostapchuk

With Halliday staying to develop in the AHL.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I want my 4th line to be able to bring energy , be able to check, and defend.

I would like to see Ostapchuk get a good crack at making the roster somewhere. A little more time in the AHL won't hurt him.
Halliday and Sokolov ... Do not have the speed to play an energy role, check effectively and neither are very good defensively at this point ..

I am going Katchouk - Kastelic - Kelly. They can do those things at a respectable level.
If they are bringing in some more vets .. I wouldn't mind a 4th line C... but I want him to be better than Kastelic.. not just a more experienced player.

MacKewen would be 13th forward ... Still don't like the 3 years., With a vet 4C I would have Kastelic as 13th and move on from MacKewen

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I want my 4th line to be able to bring energy , be able to check, and defend.

I would like to see Ostapchuk get a good crack at making the roster somewhere. A little more time in the AHL won't hurt him.
Halliday and Sokolov ... Do not have the speed to play an energy role, check effectively and neither are very good defensively at this point ..

I am going Katchouk - Kastelic - Kelly. They can do those things at a respectable level.
If they are bringing in some more vets .. I wouldn't mind a 4th line C... but I want him to be better than Kastelic.. not just a more experienced player.

MacKewen would be 13th forward ... Still don't like the 3 years., With a vet 4C I would have Kastelic as 13th and move on from MacKewen
I think so too, they need to reduce their goals against & need a better bottom six to accomplish that, but I'm also not sure we have the right guys in the bottom six especially on the 4th line that can reduce the goals against & be very tough to play against. It should be interesting which way Staois goes at free agency.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Has some shades of Mark Stone to his game, but I'm not sure the skating will ever get the point he can play in the top-six and I'm not sure he plays a heavy enough game to be a "true" fit in the bottom-six. He'll need to adapt his game a bit to be a full-time NHLer, imo.

That being said, I caught a few of the Belleville playoff games and there's no questioning his vision and playmaking. I think with another full season in the AHL he'll have the opportunity to fight for a spot on this team. He might end up being someone who plays a limited/4th line role at 5 on 5 but can help on the powerplay.

I understand why people think he can push Kastelic as soon as next season but to me they play almost polar opposite roles and it would be difficult for (the current version of) Halliday to play those types of minutes.

I think Halliday could end up as a bit of an AHL/NHL tweener unless he's willing to round out his game, but the steps he's taken as a pro this year have me optimistic there's another gear he can go to as he rounds out his skating/physicality/defensive acumen. He's absolutely someone to watch over the next couple years because the hockey IQ and size are really intriguing.

Reactions: Icelevel

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Has some shades of Mark Stone to his game, but I'm not sure the skating will ever get the point he can play in the top-six and I'm not sure he plays a heavy enough game to be a "true" fit in the bottom-six. He'll need to adapt his game a bit to be a full-time NHLer, imo.

That being said, I caught a few of the Belleville playoff games and there's no questioning his vision and playmaking. I think with another full season in the AHL he'll have the opportunity to fight for a spot on this team. He might end up being someone who plays a limited/4th line role at 5 on 5 but can help on the powerplay.

I understand why people think he can push Kastelic as soon as next season but to me they play almost polar opposite roles and it would be difficult for (the current version of) Halliday to play those types of minutes.

I think Halliday could end up as a bit of an AHL/NHL tweener unless he's willing to round out his game, but the steps he's taken as a pro this year have me optimistic there's another gear he can go to as he rounds out his skating/physicality/defensive acumen. He's absolutely someone to watch over the next couple years because the hockey IQ and size are really intriguing.

I wonder if they'll try to develop him on the wing, more in the mold of a playmaking Jason Robertson-type. Obviously that's a lofty goal and he's unlikely to ever to reach those heights, but given his strengths, a future 2LW seems like a more attainable goal than an NHL 2C.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Not great appeal to any of them.

Reactions: PlayOn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I'd probably go with a bit of a mix. I don't think Sokolov plays the type of game I want from my 4th line, Halliday I don't know enough about, but my understanding is he's more of an offensive guy.

Kelly-Kastelic-Ostapchuk sound like a group that could get in on the forcheck hard and fast and create some mayhem. I'd like to keep Katchouk too, I thought he showed some good hustle in the limited outings he had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad