C Scott Laughton (2012, 20th overall, Philadelphia)

Destroyer100

Scott Laughton

He is the next Mike Richards,that is all.

RomersWorld*

Can someone give me a scouting report if you've actually seen him play. I've heard the Mike Richards comparison before but shouldn't he have more hype then? I never noticed him as a top 17-27 prospect til recently.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Bump.

Pretty excited about this player. Some people stated that he's the hardest working on ice player in this past draft. Seems like a blue-collar, team first player who has intangibles and a will to win.

Also looks like his stats skyrocketed in the 2nd half after he got more offensive opportunities. Hoping for a big breakout next year when he returns to Oshawa (which is most likely will).

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Anthony SanFilippo ‏@AnthonySan37
#Flyers are sending Scott Laughton back to juniors.

Laughton looked pretty good on the team for the past 5 games and a lot of us wanted him to stay

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Anthony SanFilippo ‏@AnthonySan37
#Flyers are sending Scott Laughton back to juniors.

Laughton looked pretty good on the team for the past 5 games and a lot of us wanted him to stay

Yea, that's a little suprising. Pierre was hyping him pretty good. Might be for the best.. he'll be on the team next year.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
I don't doubt he'll be on the Flyers next season but why send him down to Oshawa to develop his offense when he's been use as more of a shutdown center since Jenner is the 1st line C?

arsmaster*

One is more offensive than the other and one is more defensive than the other, but from what I've read on here, they are similar in style :dunno:

Laughton is more the 'buzz saw type', whose energy is clearly noticeable when he's on the ice.

He'll finish his hits and plays a more high energy game.

Gaunce is much more patient type player who depends more on positioning than energy.

Not to mention Gaunce is substantially bigger. Gaunce is less 'physical' when it comes to leaving his position to make a hit, but is also more physical on the walls and in front of the net because he's probably close to 30lbs heavier.

I like both prospects a lot, but their style isn't the same at all.

Wonder who you are suggesting is better offensively and defensively as I'd say there upsides are similar but for Vancouver the big body of Gaunce definitely helps more.

Laughton has more edge, but the size difference makes Gaunce a better fit for Vancouver.

I was hoping for Maata, Laughton or Gaunce to fall to Vancouver. Happy with the pick. Laughton seems like a Flyer.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't doubt he'll be on the Flyers next season but why send him down to Oshawa to develop his offense when he's been use as more of a shutdown center since Jenner is the 1st line C?

1st line center, 2nd line center. Not a whole lot of different in hockey anymore. It's not like he's going back to be a role player there. It wasn't prudent for the Flyers to keep him in a shortened season and burn a year off his contract. Same goes for everyone else, except the Oilers.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Because he's not going to be the next Mike Richards, silly goose.

I think he has a chance to be, I don't like player comparisons as much now but he has alot of Richards qualities. Bold to say he is the next Mike Richards ofcourse, but the potential is definetly there. Scott is a very intense player who has a huge heart and will probably continue to grow as a leader. IMO he could have a similar impact with the flyers.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Not gonna lie I was pretty mad when the flyers drafted him last June(especially with Maata available) but he looks like a pretty good player. I'm happy that I was wrong.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
I think he has a chance to be, I don't like player comparisons as much now but he has alot of Richards qualities. Bold to say he is the next Mike Richards ofcourse, but the potential is definetly there. Scott is a very intense player who has a huge heart and will probably continue to grow as a leader. IMO he could have a similar impact with the flyers.

Don't get me wrong, he's great. I have been watching him since he was 14 and captained the Bantam Marlboros to a provincial championship. It's possible he could be the next Mike Richards, but I think he tops out at a poor man's version, which is still very impressive.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Is it crazy to wonder why he wasn't at least invited to Team Canada's WJC camp?

I thought he would be a camp invite and a guy that could play his way into the bottom six with a great performance. I think he was a victim of Canada's great depth up the middle, and he will definitely be in the mix for a spot next year if isn't with the Flyers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad