C Samuel Helenius - JYP Jyväskylä, Liiga (2021, 59th, LAK)

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Gotta love this kid, 17 year old and clearly the most physical player on the ice. His skating actually looks very solid for someone 199cm tall. Playing on the pk in his first game as well.

True dark horse prospect for 2021.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Can't see that much interesting apart of the size, limited bottom six potential in the NHL if he learns to use it well.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Helenius is playing big minutes and scoring decently for his age, but i dont see any top 6 potential. No clue where he ends up in draft. Gonna be fun to see

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
It’s so stupid how this nowadays skating fetish has turned around player evaluation close to blindness towards many other player abilities. In reality a player of Helenius’s size, with his skating and otherwise quite good skills should definitely go in the 1st or 2nd round, at least if he can continue scoring with the pace that he is scoring at the moment.

This waterbug hockey admiring is honestly really starting to get on my nerves. Seems like almost every hockey fan only looks at skating and even can’t judge that at all right. When the player is big, fans almost always judge the skating somehow weak and the player not interesting.

Sure it’s impossible for a really big player to ever be as agile as some smaller waterbug type of a player is. But on the other hand they compensate a lot with their long reach and also with the straight line speed that bigger sized players very often have better than a bit smaller players. And anyway the most important ability for any player by a mile is hockey IQ which doesn’t have anything to do with what size the player is.

If the bigger player has good hockey IQ, he will be always the better player than a smaller player, if the smaller player has the worse hockey IQ. Even their skating doesn’t matter much then.

Helenius seems to have pretty good hockey IQ and his skating is also surprisingly good for a huge 197 cm tall player. I think it is in fact pretty unlikely that all the NHL teams are so mesmerized with the silly waterbug-fetish that not a single one of the teams wouldn’t be willing to take a bit of a risk with drafting a player like Helenius around the end of the 1st round or at least in the 2nd round.

Last edited:

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
It’s so stupid how this nowadays skating fetish has turned around player evaluation close to blindness towards many other player abilities. In reality a player of Helenius’s size, with his skating and otherwise quite good skills should definitely go in the 1st or 2nd round, at least if he can continue scoring with the pace that he is scoring at the moment.

This waterbug hockey admiring is honestly really starting to get on my nerves. Seems like almost every hockey fan only looks at skating and even can’t judge that at all right. When the player is big, fans almost always judge the skating somehow weak and the player not interesting.

Sure it’s impossible for a really big player to ever be as agile as some smaller waterbug type of a player is. But on the other hand they compensate a lot with their long reach and also with the straight line speed that bigger sized players very often have better than a bit smaller players. And anyway the most important ability for any player by a mile is hockey IQ which doesn’t have anything to do what size the player is.

If the bigger player has good hockey IQ, he will be always the better player than a smaller player, if the smaller player has the worse hockey IQ. Even their skating doesn’t matter much then.

Helenius seems to have pretty good hockey IQ and his skating is also surprisingly good for a huge 197 cm tall player. I think it is in fact pretty unlikely that all the NHL teams are so mesmerized with the silly waterbug-fetish that not a single one of the teams wouldn’t be willing to take a bit of a risk with drafting a player like Helenius around the end of the 1st round or at least in the 2nd round.

Rasmussen going top ten just three years ago is a good sign to me that players like Helenius will continue to draw interest in the first round. He just has too many qualities of a potential pro for 30+ teams to pass on him, especially if you're one of those clubs with multiple first rounders.

ddlennon

May 1, 2018
Helsinki
While hes team seemingly falls apart him most games hes still really consistent especially impressive on the pk will be interesting to see where he gets drafted

Reactions: Pardus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad