C Samuel Helenius - JYP Jyväskylä, Liiga (2021, 59th, LAK)

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
Fans around the world tell about "Size doesn't mean anything in the modern NHL". But if you take a look at top20 scorers in previous 3 seasons, you should notice that only 7 players are under 6'1. Of course too big players have some troubles - speed, agility, but this is obviously not about Helenius. He`s absolutely a beast. If he can slightly improve his puck skills he will become absolutely legit candidate for top-15 in this weak draft.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Ah. So pleasant surprice.
He is far from his dad and this time it is a good thing.
He can skate already and is smart.
Lots of potential here.
Sure he needs to develop in every aspect to be good NHL player but for a kid of his body he sure looks promising as he has two of the most important parts in goid form, skating and smarts. Not to many these around.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Did not dominate Jr. A and now is a more than servicable Liiga player. He also looks like a decent skater. Will be interested to see how he does against players his own age.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I like him. Not sure if I like him for the top 30, not too familiar with next year's draft yet. But I think he's looked at least like a candidate to go early 2nd.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
A 6'6 powerforward. What team doesnt want that. He actually is surprisingly good and have decent speed for his size. Usually young boys this big are slower. I bet when he bulks up and get some more muscle he will be faster and a pain to play against in corners and infront of the net. I predict he goes 1st rnd 20+ or latest 2nd rnd -15th

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Probably won't be a superstar but definitely looks like one of the most surefire future NHL-players from this draft at the moment. If I had to predict right now I'd say late first round safe pick.

Reactions: jonlin

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Probably won't be a superstar but definitely looks like one of the most surefire future NHL-players from this draft at the moment. If I had to predict right now I'd say late first round safe pick.

I have him being a 3rd line grinder and PP-netprescence with PK-skill. I`m betting on him having a NHL-career scoring 25-40p/yr. Not the fastest or mot skilled player, but high-IQ and reliable worker with impressive size. Very tough to play against when gain more muscles in the corners and infront of net. There has to be a Chara 2.0 to remove a guy with that frame

Reactions: Patrik Barkov

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
He looks like a future NHLer...but don't see any more than bottom-6 C upside.

Hard to take a guy like that with a 1st imo. But could make for a good pick in the later half of the 2nd.

Wouldn't shock me at all if a GM who values his size and two-way play takes him late 1st though.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011

Hard to take a guy like that with a 1st imo. But could make for a good pick in the later half of the 2nd.

Wouldn't shock me at all if a GM who values his size and two-way play takes him late 1st though.

A bottom 6C with picks 20-40 is good though. Usually most of thoose picks doesnt turn into an NHL-player even. With his size and defensive abilities + ok offensive game, I`m pretty sure he gets picked before #40.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
A bottom 6C with picks 20-40 is good though. Usually most of thoose picks doesnt turn into an NHL-player even. With his size and defensive abilities + ok offensive game, I`m pretty sure he gets picked before #40.

I just don't think spending your main pick of the draft looking to fill a bottom-6 C spot is the way to go (even if that is on a very likely solid NHLer).

In the grand scheme of things, a guy like that will be one of the best 40 players to come out of the draft. I would just rather swing on the guy who has higher impact potential but may bust than play it safe in round 1.

On where he is picked, I expect you are right though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I think this covers it.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
He's basically a poor mans Byfield that's even bigger. I hope he carries the mean game torch from his father, will be a cool prospect to follow.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
I think Helenius will be a project.
The question mark is, like usually with huge players, his skating.
Can he get it to good level? If so he could be quite a valuable player.
Or just another Hartikainen. (Was it Hartikainen that Edmonton Mountain that just was to slow to NHL? Had tools, grit etc, but that speed... )

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
I think Helenius will be a project.
The question mark is, like usually with huge players, his skating.
Can he get it to good level? If so he could be quite a valuable player.
Or just another Hartikainen. (Was it Hartikainen that Edmonton Mountain that just was to slow to NHL? Had tools, grit etc, but that speed... )

Pretty sure skating won't be problem. His skating is right now decent. Never going to be fastest guy, but i dont really see that he isn't going to get in NHL because of skating

Reactions: Pardus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad