C Sam Bennett (2014, 4th, CGY) II

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Continue.

Sam-Bennett-has-20-points-in-his-first-10-games-for-Kingston-this-fall-Aaron-Bell-OHL-Images.jpg

stardefender*

15 points in seven games since returning from surgery. Plays with a real mean streak too. Nice to see he hasn't been hesitant in that regard.

This guy is going to be a real player for the Flames. Can't believe they have Bennett and Monahan as a 1-2 punch down the middle for years to come.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
A lot of people talk as if Monahan is the guaranteed number 1. Any chance Bennett can pass him?

stardefender*

A lot of people talk as if Monahan is the guaranteed number 1. Any chance Bennett can pass him?

I don't think it matters how people want to label them in advance. Whether it's 1A and 1B or 1A and 1A... it's not Monahan or Bennett... it's Monahan AND Bennett.

MISC*

Looking forward to him and Bo play each other.

Hopefully we see years of epic battles.

Hope he terrorizes the Oilers.

-DasItMane

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
What team wants to play Kingston in the 1st rd. now? I'm blown away by how good and productive he has been coming back from that injury. Anyway, if he is available come the beginning of May, Hockey Canada should seriously consider taking him to Europe for the WHC.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
What team wants to play Kingston in the 1st rd. now? I'm blown away by how good and productive he has been coming back from that injury. Anyway, if he is available come the beginning of May, Hockey Canada should seriously consider taking him to Europe for the WHC.

Agreed. Bennett is definitely Kingston's key player. Now that he's back and picking up where he left off last season, it's hard to not think they'll be a threat.

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007

Haha my thoughts exactly around X-mas time. A friend connected with the OHL say almost every team in the east doesn't want to play them.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009

Definitely. I don't think most Flames fans have anointed Monahan as the number 1 C. He has proven he's top-6 though.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Monahan is the even-keel captain-type. The Flames really benefit from his calm demeanour, and general awareness in close situations as he's never too high or too low. A bit of a poor man's Joe Sakic. Bennett is a very flashy foil to that and easily has the potential to surpass him in many aspects, but since he's such a polar opposite personality he brings a totally different, equally effective element to the team.

The best part is that neither of them have to be the heavy minutes #1 right away because Backlund is brilliant at soaking up those minutes and when those guys do start to take the tough matchups, it's Backlund's offense that's going to open up exponentially.

So it's really more of a 1-2-3 Punch. The key will be to keep these three guys, plus Giordano, Gaudreau and Brodie together within the cap and healthy for the next ~7 years.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

I think it'll depend on the other lines' top center. If Bennett matches well better against Crosby, we'll put Monahan's line as the 2nd line. If Monahan matches better against Kopitar, Monahan's line will be 1st. Just my assumption.

It'll likely take a year or two until we really see the battle of Monahan and Bennett for the #1 spot, I think Bennett will be sheltered with 3rd line minutes in his first year, eventually getting 2nd line minutes if he earns it over Backlund.

JFHockey

Nov 8, 2014
Calgary
I think he plays next season with the flames, but I don't really see Bennett playing center, for all of his tenacity, 19 year olds just don't get it done on the dot.

Can anyone comment on his faceoffs since the injury?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Can anyone comment on his faceoffs since the injury?

It's still an area he needs to work on. I'd say he's been average on draws; not bad, but not dominating, either.

Unless it improves by quite a bit come training camp, he's likely to be similar to how someone like Nathan McKinnon has done in draws so far in his young NHL career.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Not making any comparisons to the players themselves (although Monahan does have some similarities to Bergeron), but my assumption is that they'd be somewhat like Krejci/Bergeron in Boston. There's no practical difference between the two in regard to which is the 1st or 2nd line C.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Aside from the actual goals and assist totals, one key stat that shouldn't be overlooked about Bennett's impact upon his return to Kingston: Kingston's 6-1 since his return.

I had my doubts about Kingston's chances in the playoffs, but Bennett's return has made me start to re-think that. Now Kingston has a legitimate, lethal top line that's a threat to score 2 or 3 goals every game. Along with a stingy team defense and a goalie playing at a level that's in consideration for OHL Goalie of the Year, I don't think there's many higher seeds that are looking forward to playing the 6th place Frontenacs.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Kid just keeps stacking up multipoint games. 17pts in his last 8, coming off a major injury.

Very impressive, has he been playing with Crouse? If so what kind of chemistry do they have? Does Bennett carry the puck most of the time in the neutral zone? It'll be interesting to see what Bennett's return will do for Crouse's draft rankings.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Very impressive, has he been playing with Crouse? If so what kind of chemistry do they have? Does Bennett carry the puck most of the time in the neutral zone? It'll be interesting to see what Bennett's return will do for Crouse's draft rankings.

He's 3 at a few places. Hopefully it doesn't put him over Eichel and McDavid! :sarcasm:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He's 3 at a few places. Hopefully it doesn't put him over Eichel and McDavid! :sarcasm:

:laugh: Yeah I know that he's rated exceptionally high on some lists, but I'm just wondering if seeing him with a high skill guy in Bennett will raise his stock for most teams scouting lists. He should have more opportunities to showcase his skill playing with a high end skill guy IMO.

Besides, who wouldn't take him over McEichel? :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

The first 4 games Bennett was back, he was on a line with Watson and Steege. Crouse was on a line with Lammikko and McGlynn. These last 4 games, Crouse has been with Bennett and Watson, and Steege has been with Lammikko and McGlynn.

Crouse has 6 points in the 4 games he's played on Bennett's line. As to Crouse's impact, the space he's created for Bennett has seen Bennett score 11 points in those 4 games, as opposed to 6 points in 4 games when Steege was on that line.

They compliment each other very well. Both are tenacious on the forecheck, both are good along the boards, and both are strong two-way players. Crouse driving to the net opens up lanes for Bennett, and Bennett's stickhandling and passing gives Crouse more opportunities than he's previously had.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The first 4 games Bennett was back, he was on a line with Watson and Steege. Crouse was on a line with Lammikko and McGlynn. These last 4 games, Crouse has been with Bennett and Watson, and Steege has been with Lammikko and McGlynn.

Crouse has 6 points in the 4 games he's played on Bennett's line. As to Crouse's impact, the space he's created for Bennett has seen Bennett score 11 points in those 4 games, as opposed to 6 points in 4 games when Steege was on that line.

They compliment each other very well. Both are tenacious on the forecheck, both are good along the boards, and both are strong two-way players. Crouse driving to the net opens up lanes for Bennett, and Bennett's stickhandling and passing gives Crouse more opportunities than he's previously had.

Thanks. Does Crouse carry the puck much through the neutral zone?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Thanks. Does Crouse carry the puck much through the neutral zone?

Not really. Kingston's main set breakout sees Bennett curl back into the defensive zone and pick up speed coming out of the zone, then receives a short pass from the defenseman and either carries the puck through the NZ and into the offensive zone, or head-mans the puck to either Crouse or Watson along boards, depending on whichever of the two is open or has a step on their defender, for them to carry it the remaining 5 or so feet over the opposing blueline.

The only times Crouse (or Watson) carry the puck through the neutral zone is if Bennett's in really deep in the defensive zone, but the D has a long outlet pass available to them to spring one of the wingers, or if the puck comes around the boards to Crouse's wing and he has some space to carry the puck up the ice.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not really. Kingston's main set breakout sees Bennett curl back into the defensive zone and pick up speed coming out of the zone, then receives a short pass from the defenseman and either carries the puck through the NZ and into the offensive zone, or head-mans the puck to either Crouse or Watson along boards, depending on whichever of the two is open or has a step on their defender, for them to carry it the remaining 5 or so feet over the opposing blueline.

The only times Crouse (or Watson) carry the puck through the neutral zone is if Bennett's in really deep in the defensive zone, but the D has a long outlet pass available to them to spring one of the wingers, or if the puck comes around the boards to Crouse's wing and he has some space to carry the puck up the ice.

Thanks for the detailed description.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad