C Ryan Spooner (2010, 45th overall, Boston)

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
Well he's a little undersized and gets pushed around a bit, but you can definitely tell this guy has some legit talent. He stickhandles well and protects the puck pretty well. He's got a good, accurate shot but he also has good vision and makes some great plays.

It's hard to predict where he will go because he isn't very big but I would have to think he'll definitely be a guy that sees the first round next year. He needs to continue to get stronger, that's a top priority. However he also needs to work on his defensive game, getting back quicker and improving his positioning.

But yeah as you said, I wouldn't say that he has great speed for being a smaller player, but he does enough good things to make up for that. And obviously he's still very young and that will be something he'll be working hard on.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ryan Spooner

Ryan Spooner had 30 goals and 58 points in his rookie 16 year old season with the Peterborough Petes. Does anyone know where he projects to go in the draft and what type of player he is going to be? Those are pretty good point totals on a bad team for a young player.

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I liked Spooner when I saw him last year. Good hands, great shot, very solid skater. My criticism would be that when he doesn't have the puck, he looks like he's just spinning his wheels out there.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I liked Spooner when I saw him last year. Good hands, great shot, very solid skater. My criticism would be that when he doesn't have the puck, he looks like he's just spinning his wheels out there.

Yea from what i've seen he's not good defensively.

Mar 12, 2009
He had similar numbers(a few more goals at least) to Jeff Skinner, who also played on a really bad team last year, how do the two compare?

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
He had similar numbers(a few more goals at least) to Jeff Skinner, who also played on a really bad team last year, how do the two compare?

I like them both. Spooner has more offensive upside, I won't doubt that. He's got a more textbook skating stride than Skinner has. But like I said, when he doesn't have the puck, Spooner kind of shifts into neutral and starts spinning his wheels. Skinner never stops trying, with or without the puck, he's a lot like Mike Richards that way. Now, I don't think he has Richards' level of intensity, that's a one in a hundred characteristic but you never get the feeling that Skinner is just going through the motions. In the offensive zone and on the powerplay, you'd rather have Spooner. In all other situations, you'd rather have Skinner.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Ryan Spooner

26 points this year in 22 games for Petes this year, is this kid getting drafted and if so what round?

Leaf Fever

Mar 20, 2008
As of right now, I would say that he would go in the 20-25 range of the first round.

This kid has some pretty sick dangles and it wouldn't surprise me if he moved his way up the draft board at season's end.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
As of right now, I would say that he would go in the 20-25 range of the first round.

This kid has some pretty sick dangles and it wouldn't surprise me if he moved his way up the draft board at season's end.

I'd say he's probably more in the 30-50 range right now. He could sneak into the first round if a team really likes him, but I'd say he's probably a consensus early to mid second rounder.

This draft has a ton of players that could either go from 20-30 or slip right through to the 50s, so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Detroit takes him at 19 overall....smallish forward from Ottawa playing for the Pete's....heh.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
I'd say he's probably more in the 30-50 range right now. He could sneak into the first round if a team really likes him, but I'd say he's probably a consensus early to mid second rounder.

This draft has a ton of players that could either go from 20-30 or slip right through to the 50s, so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

You're obviously scouting this guy, any current comparables in the NHL

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
You're obviously scouting this guy, any current comparables in the NHL

It's hard to compare him to anyone, based on his size. Personally I don't really like to compare players that much, anyways.

He's definitely undersized, but he's a pretty highly skilled player. He can make a lot of things happen with the puck, and he's very creative. His skating is pretty good, but he really needs to add some strength to his frame. If the D really focus on playing the body with him, he can be neutralized.

There's a lot of upside, but I'd say he's a pretty risky pick right now, which is why he's likely more of a 30-45 guy for us, but that's not to say that somebody doesn't step up and grab him a bit earlier.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
It's hard to compare him to anyone, based on his size. Personally I don't really like to compare players that much, anyways.

He's definitely undersized, but he's a pretty highly skilled player. He can make a lot of things happen with the puck, and he's very creative. His skating is pretty good, but he really needs to add some strength to his frame. If the D really focus on playing the body with him, he can be neutralized.

There's a lot of upside, but I'd say he's a pretty risky pick right now, which is why he's likely more of a 30-45 guy for us, but that's not to say that somebody doesn't step up and grab him a bit earlier.

Hmm from that description you sound like your describing Micheal Cammalleri (Im not assuming he will turn out like Cammy), actually thinking back when he was drafted by LA he was in that range

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
He reminds me a lot of Sam Gagner. Very shifty and has some ridiculous dangles and a nice release. More of a playmaker than scorer. I'm quite high on him. I think any team that spent a late first rounder on him would be lucky to have him.

elicw10

Mar 19, 2007
keeping in mind, he's a pete ;)
they usually find their way to the NHL, no matter what the talent level (see Kaleta, Patrick)

Add skill to that, oh baby

24-29

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Does Spooner's trade request hurt WJC chances?

Well, i dont know if youve all heard but Ryan Spooner wants out in Peterbrough.

I wonder where he will go?

Hopefully Mississauga

But anyways, does anyone else think this might hurt his image a little bit in the eyes of hockey canada.

If so how?

I still think he's got a good shot at the WJC team

Come to Mississauga Spooner!!!!

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
No, because he requested a trade and did not demand one.

Did not want to be part of a rebuild for the 3rd straight year.

I would think this would improve his chances as it is tough to shine for the Petes this year.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Apparently it's a done deal and he's headed to Kingston.

I don't imagine the trade request will affect his chances of being invited to the December selection camp, but it may come down to whether or not he plays in the Canada-Russia challenge and how others play if he doesn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad