C Ryan McLeod (2018, 40th, EDM)

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
He was picked 30A by Flint in the OHL Priority Selection. He didn't report so today was traded to Mississauga where his brother plays.

He has a late b-day, so is eligible for the NHL draft in 2018.

Previously played minor hockey for the Marlies and was last year's GTHL player of the year.

Discuss.

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
He was picked 3 0A by Flint in the OHL Priority Selection. He didn't report so today was traded to Mississauga where his brother plays.

Previously played minor hockey for the Marlies and was last year's GTHL player of the year.

Discuss.

I absolutely love his brother: amazing skill and elite speed. If Ryan's anything like Mike, the Steelheads are gonna have a great season!

PS. should probably leave a space between 3 and OA

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
He was picked 30A by Flint in the OHL Priority Selection. He didn't report so today was traded to Mississauga where his brother plays.

Discuss.

Love that the McLeod boys are on the same team. What's the general vibe on his power move to essentially request a trade? Is it considered a jerk move to do that in the O? I mean, I can't really blame him. He's a young kid who wants to play with his brother near his home.

Canuck71*

This stuff makes my blood boil. His brother the year before wouldn't report to anyone but Mississauga either and the teams chose to take that into consideration and let him fall. There is a draft for a reason. When stuff like this happens it just give more incentive to future undrafted OHLers to play "Not reporting" game to get what they want. He's a really good player, but I don't agree with this BS of refusing to report at all.

McDavid had it right. It's an honour to play for a team that had enough confidence and belief in me to draft me.

Reactions: Slicknitty

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's interesting to me to force going to a team that's been going through some organizational turmoil. Is it really just because Missy is the team closest to them? I guess better than London getting all the defected kids.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This stuff makes my blood boil. His brother the year before wouldn't report to anyone but Mississauga either and the teams chose to take that into consideration and let him fall. There is a draft for a reason. When stuff like this happens it just give more incentive to future undrafted OHLers to play "Not reporting" game to get what they want. He's a really good player, but I don't agree with this BS of refusing to report at all.

McDavid had it right. It's an honour to play for a team that had enough confidence and belief in me to draft me.

I'm assuming their parents live in the area? These are children we are talking about. I can kind of understand.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Love that the McLeod boys are on the same team. What's the general vibe on his power move to essentially request a trade? Is it considered a jerk move to do that in the O? I mean, I can't really blame him. He's a young kid who wants to play with his brother near his home.

I have no problem with the kids forcing trades. The kids are 15 or 16 when they're drafted and will often be leaving home for the first time. It's just the cost of doing business for the teams when this happens.

I was really surprised that Flint picked him given it was obvious he had an agreement with Mississauga (who was picking one spot later). They had to know McLeod wouldn't go. The only thing I can think is they want to rebuild so figured they'd take the compensatory 1st and whatever they got back in the trade. Additionally the return could have been more worthwhile than the value of whatever kid would report to Flint.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Pretty beneficial for Mississauga to get both the #3 OA player and their own guy at #4 OA from that OHL draft. Suddenly the future is looking quite bright for the Steelheads.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
I absolutely love his brother: amazing skill and elite speed. If Ryan's anything like Mike, the Steelheads are gonna have a great season!

PS. should probably leave a space between 3 and OA

Scouts have said Ryan will adjust to the OHL better than Mikey did. Mikey took some time and really excelled after Christmas and the U17's

At 18 and with a professional team yes. However I find no issue in parents & players having a say at 15/16 years old. This isn't Domi or Mete wanting to play for the OHL top dog. This is a family wanting the brothers to play together and stay close to home.

I have no problem with the kids forcing trades. The kids are 15 or 16 when they're drafted and will often be leaving home for the first time. It's just the cost of doing business for the teams when this happens.

I was really surprised that Flint picked him given it was obvious he had an agreement with Mississauga (who was picking one spot later). They had to know McLeod wouldn't go. The only thing I can think is they want to rebuild so figured they'd take the compensatory 1st and whatever they got back in the trade. Additionally the return could have been more worthwhile than the value of whatever kid would report to Flint.

Very surprising. Tippett to my knowledge would have gone anywhere, even Sudbury I think. Either they messed up or had it all planned out.

Works for both teams IMO.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Scouts have said Ryan will adjust to the OHL better than Mikey did. Mikey took some time and really excelled after Christmas and the U17's

At 18 and with a professional team yes. However I find no issue in parents & players having a say at 15/16 years old. This isn't Domi or Mete wanting to play for the OHL top dog. This is a family wanting the brothers to play together and stay close to home.

Very surprising. Tippett to my knowledge would have gone anywhere, even Sudbury I think. Either they messed up or had it all planned out.

Works for both teams IMO.

Interesting about Tippett - if he would have reported then I'll assume Flint wanted the compensatory pick...b/c I don't think the difference between Tippett & McLeod is big enough that it would have been worth taking McLeod knowing he wouldn't come.

And as far as Domi and Mete go, even that I don't care that much about. I just think it's a reality people have to deal with in this kind of league - where the players are young and aren't compensated much. Honestly, it can be better off for the teams - places like Kingston and Baie Comeau were able to speed up their rebuild with the returns for Domi and Mackinnon respectively.

arsmaster*

Flint is gonna be a better team in the future for trading him. The return + two top 5 picks next season helps.

I hate that this happens but it does so at least they have a defected player rule to help the teams getting screwed.

Canuck71*

Judging by your avatar you are a steelheads supporter so of course you aren't gunna have a problem with it. I wouldn't either if my team acquired the 3rd overall pick. But if 299 other selected players have no problem reporting to whichever team drafts them than McLeod shouldn't either. It's manipulating the system and isn't right. Also screws over teams drafting next year because Flint gets a high compensation pick for it. I don't know how people think this is right.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Judging by your avatar you are a steelheads supporter so of course you aren't gunna have a problem with it. I wouldn't either if my team acquired the 3rd overall pick. But if 299 other selected players have no problem reporting to whichever team drafts them than McLeod shouldn't either. It's manipulating the system and isn't right. Also screws over teams drafting next year because Flint gets a high compensation pick for it. I don't know how people think this is right.

That's extremely misleading. It's common for players to tell teams in advance that they won't report, so the team doesn't draft them at all and otherwise come to an agreement with a team that the player will report. Lots of players have done it (including Seguin, Skinner, M. Subban, Marner, Harrington, the list goes on).

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
McDavid is from the Toronto area and he was drafted and played for a team that is all the way from Pennsylvania. This is so dumb, you should be honoured to play for a team that drafted you in the first place. You can always not get drafted instead. Plus, leaving home at an early age would be extremely difficult for both parents and players but that's the sacrifice they have to make to further their hockey career. Everyone else does it, he needs to suck it up if he wants to choose hockey for a career. It builds character anyway and begins the maturing process early which is good.

Reactions: Oak

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
There are certain CHL teams that can absolutely stall a prospects development. I think a top tier player should have some say in where they land. If you're an average/below average CHL player, I don't think you get that luxury of picking where you want to go, and while it sucks for them, such is life.

If these sort of backroom deals didn't happen, I think you'd see a few top tier CHL prospects depart to different leagues, and that's not good for the CHL.

Imagine it was your education on the line, and the University of Nunavut selects you... That's kind of similar to what some these CHL players face.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Having been to Flint, I can't say I blame the guy. Although Mississauga...leaves a bit to be desired as well. That's the end of my irreverence here, though.

Does anyone have any insight on this guy as a hockey player? Was he an offensive dynamo like his brother in Midget?

I get that people are upset about him subverting the draft system but it isn't like this is the first time this has happened - if he were setting a precedent then perhaps there would be a bone to pick here. Many have done this before, and many will do it in the future, unless the league steps in at some point.

NHL Fanatik*

Agree with this 100%. Dont like when players do that... but what about when its just one team they wont report to? Just curious.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
I don't know much about the OHL, or where Flint is at in terms of their cycle; But I am a QMJHL fan and see this stuff happen all the time here as well.

I think Flint probably had a good idea there was a 75-90% chance McLeod would not report, however the way it worked out, they ended up with 3 second round picks, 3 third round picks, plus the 5th overall in 2016 as a compensation pick from the league. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

I imagine they are doing what Cape Breton did a couple years back with Nicholas Roy, picking the player knowing he probably would not report, than trading him for a ransom and taking the compensation pick. 3 years later Cape Breton is poised for a run at the league title.

A note of interest tho, the Q actually got rid of the compensation pick if you trade a defected player after this incident, as Cape Breton ended up with 3 1st round picks and former first round pick Loik Levellie in the end. (In the Q you can trade your 1st round picks, unlike the OHL.)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Well, lets keep this thread on the subject of Ryan McLeod shall we?

He's pretty highly regarded as a prospect as far as I know and, at this point, looks poised for a 1st round selection in the top-heavy 2018 draft. Won a whole bunch of awards last year including OHL Cup MVP. I've only seen him on video but the impression I have is that he might be a slightly better prospect than his brother Mikey (who is a very good prospect in his own right) but I could be wrong on that one.

Here's an ISO video on him from last season.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Annoying but I can understand why a 16 year old and his parents may not want him to commit to some of the teams that are the farthest from where they live. If he would only report to Sauga it is a bit of a punk move, but if it was restricted to teams in the Golden horseshoe then thats understandable. Bit surprised by this as I've read this family is very close with the Strome's and Dylan had no problem reporting to Erie (Which had questionable ownership but also had McDavid). If your gonna stop the top talent from going the NCAA route you have to be slightly accommodating (which the CHL is with the compensation picks).

Finally, Mississauga looks to have a very interesting team this year. Between Day, the McLeod brothers and A. Nylander they are a must follow for us prospects junkies.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Was at the preseason game yesterday vs Guelph. R.Mcleod centered a line with other 99 rookie Tippett and one of our overagers. He skates very much like his brother and has high offensive instincts. Like many OHL 16 year olds I imagine he`ll take his time adjusting to the league and we`ll see a more improved player after Christmas.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Interesting how he was viewed as better than Tippett but now Tippett is tearing it up and McLeod is not.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
How good can Ryan be? Where is he projected for next year.

I have only seen him play a handful of times live....but everytime I see him is the same thing....he has great skills but I find he is still lacking at putting it all together, skill wise the kid is a 1st rounder for next year...he just always leaves me wanting more from him which imo is iffy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad