C/RW Nathan Bastian - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016, 41st, NJD)

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I've watched Mississauga a couple times because of Mcleod and Nylander but this kid has caught my eye as well. He's huge(6'4 207) but is a pretty good skater with a good shot and playmaking ability. He's still a very raw prospect but has improved each time I've seen him and was recently promoted to 1st line RW to play with Mcleod and Nylander. His stats aren't eye popping yet(9G+17A in 26 games) but since his promotion have been steadily increasing. I view him as a late 1st to early 2nd talent right now but curious what others think of him.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=245157

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
The improvement of Nathan year after year has been the biggest thing for me. It seems every game and every season he is getting better and better. Not the smoothest of skater buts keeps up with McLeod and Nylander so that's saying something. Has a nose for the net and isn't afraid to go to the dirty areas (true hockey cliches).

I'd say he could find himself going anywhere between the 2nd and 4th rounds depending on how the rest of his season shapes up.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I like how his game is progressing this year. We will see if he can improve to make it into my top 30. I don't see him as a 1st rd pick yet. But as a 2nd, I would not have a problem with that.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
I actually used to play with this guy in my Major Bantam year. Best player on the team by far, and I always see him at the rink even in the summer. Guy puts in so much work, nice to see him blossoming into what seems like a solid future prospect.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
I'm not a big fan, he looked much much slower and behind the play than his linemates Nylander and McLeod

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
I'm not a big fan, he looked much much slower and behind the play than his linemates Nylander and McLeod

Tough to compare, McLeod and Nylander are top 10 picks; both are top class skaters.

Bastian gets up and down the ice OK but in comparison to his linemates yes he's probably the 3rd slowest. Compared to the Steelheads as a whole team he's probably the 5th or 6th best skating forward.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I would say you are right about this. Bastian's skating is one area where he will need to work on. Also for a big man, he could use his size better. To me he projects into a workmanlike 2nd rd pick. He's not a guy I would pick and say he will be a surefire top 6 fwd in the NHL. More as a good 3rd liner IMO.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
He's a solid all-around player who is raw but has a big upside so I think he'll be a 1st rounder. He needs time to develop so hopefully whoever picks him doesn't rush him.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Good early 2nd predictions in this thread, his game reminds of Wayne Simmonds. And he gets to join his best friend and linemate which is pretty cool.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
With five assists last night, Bastian's up to 3 goals and 9 points in 4 games, 2.25 P/PG.

Watch out for this guy. I think he's going to have a monster year.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Can he keep up that pace, seems it would be difficult?

Will he score over 2 points per game? No. But the growth in his offense is very encouraging.

At the moment he's at 4 goals and 11 points in 7 games, 1.57 P/PG. That's up from .92 P/PG last year, but what's especially impressive is his goals per game. He had 19 goals in 64 games last year, or .29 goals per game. This year he's almost doubled that rate with .57 goals per game.

When I saw him at dev camp I was flabbergasted he didn't score more goals with that rocket he has. This kind of production is more what I would expect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad