C/RW JT Compher - Michigan, NCAA (2013, 35th, BUF; traded to COL)

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
apologies in advance...but i couldn't find any thread for this guy.

subject to the comments from our US friends, he's the top forward coming out of NTDP this draft year, no?

mid-year, he was #20 on the central scouting list for North Am skaters:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm

erne was ranked higher...but it seems that the US privileges the kids that come through their program (much in the same way as Hockey Canada assumes CHL kids are best)...but this is a story for another day :shakehead

if the Hawks are choosing somewhere b/w 27-30 could any of the US watchers comment re how Compher would rank for that sort of pick?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
he is a smaller but hard working and gritty forward in the Ryan Callahan and Dustin Brown mold...heck him and Ryan Hartman have similarities as well as this seems to be the mold of the American forward lately...hard working, extremely fast skaters, mid level scoring ability...I love Compher and would be pumped if the Hawks got him as he works his butt off every shift and earns what he gets.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
Not sure about his offensive upside, but he's a very hard working player who is strong along the boards and plays a pretty in-your-face style. I'd take him any time after the 25th pick, I'd say he's the Nic Kerdiles of this draft

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Chicago area boy and hes on my short list.

he is a smaller but hard working and gritty forward in the Ryan Callahan and Dustin Brown mold...heck him and Ryan Hartman have similarities as well as this seems to be the mold of the American forward lately...hard working, extremely fast skaters, mid level scoring ability...I love Compher and would be pumped if the Hawks got him as he works his butt off every shift and earns what he gets.

assuming a 25-30 pick, do you think he'll be available for the Hawks then. I was impressed w/ him at U18...even though that tournie didn't work out for the US.

way OT (but i'm too lazy to bump the thread)...what do you think about Hartman? I've seen him all over the place on draft lists - it looks like he wouldn't be available..but :dunno:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He has really only sunk on the draft boards this year as more was expected from him. I like him but haven't seen a ton of him, thought a lot of people are starting to think he will sink out of the first, so he should be around for the Hawks pick.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He battled injuries this year but he's a very strong all-around player and prospect. He'll be great value when he's likely drafted in the late first or early second.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
http://lastwordonsports.com/j-t-compher-2013-nhl-draft-player-profile-17/

J.T. Compher: 2013 NHL Draft Player Profile #17

J.T. Compher has been a player for the U.S. National Team Development Program for several years. Last year he led the Under 17 team in scoring both in the USHL, and with 9 points in 5 games at the U17 World Hockey Challenge. He then jumped up and played with the U18 squad at the 2012 IIHF Under 18 World Championships, putting up 5 points in 6 games and contributing to Team USA’s Gold Medal win.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
This kid's putting together a very solid freshman year. He has top-6 potential. He's classified s a grinder with skill. Not sure what his ceiling is, but I think his game can transfer well in the league as a 4th liner, 3rd liner, etc...He's a safe bet, imo.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
This kid's putting together a very solid freshman year. He has top-6 potential. He's classified s a grinder with skill. Not sure what his ceiling is, but I think his game can transfer well in the league as a 4th liner, 3rd liner, etc...He's a safe bet, imo.

IMO Compher ceiling is top 6 forward but he's probably a 3rd liner on a real good team down the road.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
IMO Compher ceiling is top 6 forward but he's probably a 3rd liner on a real good team down the road.

Yeah, I think he could sneak into the top 6. Few college freshmen score a pt/gm and lead their team.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Definitely agree. I tend to label players like that as middle 6 guys, in this case potentially a key cog on a good team's secondary two-way or scoring line (i.e. 2nd/3rd lines depending on the team). Talent-wise I see him grading out reasonably assuredly as a third -liner, with a fair shot at being a second-line talent. I can see him as one of those glue guys who can play "above his head" in the line-up, working effectively with the most skilled players on the team when the fit is right or need arises.

Not great offensive upside obviously, but he has solid tools and he could certainly end up impressing there. He has a lot of game to work on but the potential is there to be a very difficult guy to play against in all three zones. First in on the puck all the way; it seems every time I watch him play he takes a hit behind the net to make a nice play to the front.

He was also a very vocal and seemingly natural leader from what I took in of him at Sabres dev camp (along with Girgensons), and from everything I read about him. Darcy really left this organization with some kids who are going to be hell to play against down the line. Hopefully there'll be some 1st line talent to have these guys surround.

Brent Burns Beard