C/RW Jonatan Berggren - Skelleftea, SWE JRs (2018, 33rd, DET)

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
7th leading scorer from last season.

Colorado - 33
Toronto - 35
Boston - 42
Dallas - 22
Calgary - 32
Edmonton - 36
Washington - 26
Islanders - 34
Vancouver - 26
Montreal - 29
Winnipeg - 35
Chicago - 26
Columbus - 32
Anaheim - 29
Buffalo - 27
Nashville - 28
Detroit - 27
LA - 28
Pittsburgh - 33
Vegas - 35
Arizona - 21
New Jersey - 35

I will admit, there are a few guys who are 7th in scoring on their team who managed above 40 points. However, in reality I think it's reasonable to conclude 40+ points is generally a 2nd line player in this league. It has to be considered that most of these players had top 6 roles at some point during the season. Maybe if scoring goes up more that will change in the future. I don't think anyone is going to expect any player who is legitimately playing on a 3rd line to produce 40+ points.

When looking at injuries and 82 game paces, your list is a bit misleading.

Examples: Mikheyev in Toronto, Puljujarvi in Edmonton, Karlsson in Vegas are examples of forwards over 40 point paces who didn’t slot into their team’s top 6 forward producer totals. I didn’t look at all the teams on your list but in general the bucket of teams with their 7th forward pacing under 40 points is much smaller than your list.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
When looking at injuries and 82 game paces, your list is a bit misleading.

Examples: Mikheyev in Toronto, Puljujarvi in Edmonton, Karlsson in Vegas are examples of forwards over 40 point paces who didn’t slot into their team’s top 6 forward producer totals. I didn’t look at all the teams on your list but in general the bucket of teams with their 7th forward pacing under 40 points is much smaller than your list.

This is reality and a large sample size. There is also undeniable argument to be made if you want to go there. Projecting an injured player healthy at 82 games could mean another player gets pushed down the lineup resulting in reduced point totals for that player. The projected player could end up with 53 points and say 5th in team scoring and the player who had 45 points may now end up with 35 points due to being pushed exclusively to the 3rd line. So many potentiol variables there dude. Results could just end up a lot the same with names in different orders. At the end of the day there are only so many goals to go around this league. When you change a variable you can't ignore that it also has an impact on the other variables involved. You can't just simply inject a projection into the mix assuming the rest stays the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: simonedvinsson

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
1676391406574.png

#5 on the team in P/60
#3 in G/60 (more like #2 if you take out Elmer who only played 21)
1676391807981.png

Mostly played with uh... not great linemates.
13:41 TOI/GP, 1:57 PPTOI/GP
Looks pretty solid to me! Just thought I'd share some results while I looked them up.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Kids got the tools and knows how to utilize them. I expect he's a top 1-2 winger on this team in the near future. As I said during his first couple games with the Wings, he's got higher potentiol than Raymond to impact the play on a shift-to-shift basis.

A few of the goals he has scored lately he has done so with awkward body positioning, catching an off pass finding a way to get a good quick accurate shot off. He's also very good at finding those soft spots. He just sees the game very well, makes quick reads and follows up with explosive reaction.

Last edited:

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Such a smart player. He's so good at creating space for himself and his teammates in the ozone. The type of playmaker the Wings were missing

Also surprisingly effective in the corners, always seems to come out with the puck. Always a good sign for a young player

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
This kid creates offense out of what you think is gonna be a dead play on a nightly basis. Like others have said, Incredible vision and the passing to execute. He can also snipe it. Just all around great offensive mind with the skills to make it work.

He’s also pushing 200 lbs after concerns about size/slightness at the draft. He’s got some jam to his game too.

Thought my expectations were high in thinking he could be another Nyquist but now I’m thinking Fiala is more his ceiling.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I just want to repost this for the people on here that believed all along that Berggren was a real talent.

He actually ended the season with the 2nd most assists ever for a forward under 21.

I hated that we kept him in GR all of last season and for the beginning of this season for Bustina, but what we've gotten from him in 13ish minutes of ice each night since his call up has been great. He really should be given proper 2nd line minutes.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He has excellent rink vision and understanding where his mates are going to be based on the play as it develops. He can see lanes few can see and more importantly he can zip passes through those lanes that land on people's sticks. He's a very talented playmaker. His finishing ability is what surprises me.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
May be better than Raymond. Top line potential. Him and Larkin are like the only guys that seem to enjoy playing with the puck on their stick among wings forwards.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Raymond has "underperformed" and is still outscoring Berggren's pace (in more games) at a younger age so IDK about all that. I guess situations/ice time/line mates matter in that regard. I'm glad JB is playing well enough to make it a debate though.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
I just want to repost this for the people on here that believed all along that Berggren was a real talent.

He actually ended the season with the 2nd most assists ever for a forward under 21.

I hated that we kept him in GR all of last season and for the beginning of this season for Bustina, but what we've gotten from him in 13ish minutes of ice each night since his call up has been great. He really should be given proper 2nd line minutes.

This is just ridiculous. Should be given first line minutes

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
This is just ridiculous. Should be given first line minutes

I know. Though I'd like to keep him away from Larkin because he carries the offense on whatever line he works on.

Kubalik - Larkin - Perron
Bertuzzi/Rasmussen (if Bert gets traded) - Copp - Raymond
Berggren - Veleno - Soderblom
trade deadline return - Fabbri - Sundqvist

Those are the lines I'd like to see post TDL in Detroit.

Berggren and Veleno have worked really well together and Soderblom gives them a legit shooter that can work to the inside. In the (very) short stint they were together they looked good.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
May be better than Raymond. Top line potential. Him and Larkin are like the only guys that seem to enjoy playing with the puck on their stick among wings forwards.
I posted this a year ago in this thread and still think it's valid. He got a bit of the Nyquist treatment and was left in the AHL. He should definitely have made the team from camp this year, he's not an AHL player. Waiting for him to get a bigger role, very likable player.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Raymond has "underperformed" and is still outscoring Berggren's pace (in more games) at a younger age so IDK about all that. I guess situations/ice time/line mates matter in that regard. I'm glad JB is playing well enough to make it a debate though.
Berggren just creates offense while Raymond is more of a passenger. We'll see how Raymond's game matures over the next couple years but I'd be surprised atp if he ends up a better player than JB.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'll quote myself from 2 years ago:
I would compare Berggren more to a winger version of Nicklas Bäckström. Cerebral type. Great puck carrier. Definitely someone that can run a powerplay and make a killing at it. Has some definite issues in his game, despite his point production I would still not rush him to NHL.
Even being a huge fan of him, I think it made sense to give him that extra year to work on his game. He has improved so much in his play away from the puck.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I think Berggren is on pace to be a more impactful player than Raymond from what I have seen of them both, but that is a pretty limited sample size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad