C/RW Greg Meireles - Kitchener Rangers, OHL (2019, 168th, FLA)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
This kid is on an affiliate contract with Kitchener Rangers and just had a 5 point night (2G, 3A) in an 8-2 win against Sudbury Wolves. Was drafted 12th overall in the OHL draft last year and has been playing in CCHL this year for the Ottawa Jr. Senators and is a product of their minor hockey program. At 5'10, 163lbs he is pretty small but also very skilled.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=286948

Thoughts? Upside? For people who have watched him more closely, how has he looked so far?

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
He had an impressive game, but I'd like to see what he'll do moving forward. He was facing a team playing their 3rd game in 4 days, and with a rookie goalie who couldn't be pulled because the starter was hurt. Meireles was late to sign with the Rangers, and he (or his father) has decided to play in the CCHL this year and join the Rangers full-time next year. Consequently, he's on a 10-game limit. But I think the Rangers can sign him to a full card if they (and Greg) wish to do so.

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Have seen him play multiple times as a MM and in the OHL Preseason:

He has high end skill and speed and is at his best with the puck on his stick. Has an average frame for a 16-year old, as most kids this age are, but is very strong and tough to knock off the puck. Very crafty with the puck as he's able to beat guys with 1-on-1 moves and is also able to create plays for teammates with his moves. While some may get 'awed' with his puck skills, he's equally able to finish plays as good as he sets them up.

Had he and/or his family (sources say his father mainly) were committed to the OHL, theres no doubt in my mind that he wouldve been a top 5-10 pick.

A player of his ilk should and probably will light up the tier two circuit this year and play well in call-up games.

His skill-set, speed, and position (if he plays center) should warrant close attention for the 2017 Draft as he could challenge for a top-30 selection.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
7 points in 3 games to start the season. Has anyone seen him play recently? Why isn't there more talk about him?

Mar 12, 2009
7 points in 3 games to start the season. Has anyone seen him play recently? Why isn't there more talk about him?

He's got a good offensive skill set, good hands, good passer, decent shot but not very heavy from the couple games I've seen. He's a very quick, fast skater with a good motor offensively and on the back check. He seems more committed defensively than most small-ish speedy players with skill his age. He seemed pretty persistent on the back check, taking the body to take his man off the puck. I'd like to see him more to get a better read, but those are my initial thoughts after seeing the first couple games this season on tv.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
Torgo's assessment is solid. I wouldn't disagree with much other than to say I don't find him small. A bit light, perhaps, but average size.

The kid can fly and is aggressive. He knows he has to use his speed to be effective and so far he's giving opposing D fits. The question will be whether he can get to the net against the good, veteran D with size. When he drives the net with speed, he is a nightmare.

I think his offence will slow down a bit. I'm thinking he's probably good for 15-20 goals this year and 50 points, but maybe he'll over-achieve.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
38th on our early Top 50 list.

I've liked what I have seen from him in my somewhat limited OHL viewings. Actually have liked him a lot more in a Kitch jersey than I did in AAA, all of our scouts were a bit higher on him than me in his OHL Draft year.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I would like to know how close he is too Bracco's level, should be easy to compare as they are on the same team.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
I would like to know how close he is too Bracco's level, should be easy to compare as they are on the same team.

Not much like Bracco really. Good stick-handling is the main comparison. Meireles plays at top speed and goes after the puck hard no matter where it is. Crashes the net, crashes the boards. He's a full-steam ahead guy, whereas Bracco is more a blueline-in guy who has great footwork, outstanding vision but doesn't like contact or paying the price.

Is he playing C or RW?

He's playing centre. Often with McHugh, but has had a rotating winger on the other side. Initially rookie Guest, who got suspended, then it has been a few others depending on situation. McHugh sat out (flu) last night, so he had Bunnaman and Garreffa.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Very interested in Meireles development this season - especially in the 2nd half. (was undrafted previously)

2017-18: 55 games, 13 goals, 17 assists, 30 points
2018-19: 68 games, 36 goals, , 61 assists, 97 points

In 2nd half this year, he was scoring 1.74 PPG and seemed to really click on line with Yantsis (also undrafted and went from 5 goals last year to 50 goals this season).

He may be a good, sneaky one for this summers draft.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Very interested in Meireles development this season - especially in the 2nd half. (was undrafted previously)

2017-18: 55 games, 13 goals, 17 assists, 30 points
2018-19: 68 games, 36 goals, , 61 assists, 97 points

In 2nd half this year, he was scoring 1.74 PPG and seemed to really click on line with Yantsis (also undrafted and went from 5 goals last year to 50 goals this season).

He may be a good, sneaky one for this summers draft.

Of all the undrafted players, I think Meireles has by far the highest upside. He already skates at the NHL level and has an NHL motor/work ethic. His shot and finish have improved immensely as well.

The biggest knock on him was size. He's not tiny, but not huge either and can get out-muscled by the big guys but he worked hard in the weight room and now stands his ground in those battles much better. He's a tireless worker as well. He's a guy that just has too much going for him to not be able to play pro. Whether that's the NHL remains to be seen as he has to develop alongside men. But he has prototypical depth forward written all over him. Can kill penalties with the best of them and counter-attack with speed and slick hands. I'd be shocked if he doesn't get a PTO.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Of all the undrafted players, I think Meireles has by far the highest upside. He already skates at the NHL level and has an NHL motor/work ethic. His shot and finish have improved immensely as well.

The biggest knock on him was size. He's not tiny, but not huge either and can get out-muscled by the big guys but he worked hard in the weight room and now stands his ground in those battles much better. He's a tireless worker as well. He's a guy that just has too much going for him to not be able to play pro. Whether that's the NHL remains to be seen as he has to develop alongside men. But he has prototypical depth forward written all over him. Can kill penalties with the best of them and counter-attack with speed and slick hands. I'd be shocked if he doesn't get a PTO.

Undrafted 20 yr old putting up huge numbers playing against 16, 17 and 18 yrolds ? We see that every year in the CHL and history has shown that very few of them move on to NHL. That said .. he’ll likely get a good look from several teams if only for his skating ! Gotta be able to fly in today’s NHLand the kid certainly checks the box in that department !!

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Undrafted 20 yr old putting up huge numbers playing against 16, 17 and 18 yrolds ? We see that every year in the CHL and history has shown that very few of them move on to NHL. That said .. he’ll likely get a good look from several teams if only for his skating ! Gotta be able to fly in today’s NHLand the kid certainly checks the box in that department !!

He wasn't an OA this year, he was 19. Should be back for his OA year. And yes, we often see older players produce, but the "against 16 and 17 year olds" is always a bit misleading as many of these players (for sure Meireles) play against the top players on other teams. The Formentons and Ratcliffes. Not the rookies.

But most importantly, it's how he did it. Kitchener had two other 19 year olds who produced a lot this year in Yantsis and Garreffa and both had massive holes in their game that will hold them back from any high end pro potential. Meireles does not. It's a well rounded 200-foot game with no clear deficiency. Can skate, shoot, handle, defend, etc. That's what makes him intriguing. It's also why you can't generalize. Each prospect has to be judged on their own merits.

Reactions: NNCbama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad