C/RW Eric Cornel - Peterborough Petes, OHL (2014, 44th, BUF)

arsmaster*

Searched and couldn't find a thread on him. Nothing in the indexed thread either.
-----
Couldn't help put notice he's on fire in January. 15 points in 8 games.

Anyone have any insight on him?

Looks like he's starting to live up to 3rd overall expectations.

Oil For The Boys

Jan 7, 2013
Searched and couldn't find a thread on him. Nothing in the indexed thread either.
-----

Very good skater, inconsistent offensively, seems lost in the neutral zone, and poor defensively.

I think he'll get drafted as a late 2nd round pick or early third. Tons of potential and good size. If the right teams drafts him and develops him properly I think he'll turn into a very good player.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
-----

Big smooth skating center, I'd like to see him go to the Sens, that may happen if he falls into the mid third round.

I remember seeing him twice during his AAA days in Ottawa and really looked like he had the ability to take over a game. Have only seen him play twice at the OHL level as well, and came across feeling perhaps his hockey IQ is not entirely there. He certainly can still take over a game and with puck he is still very strong, but his play without the puck and his use of teammates did not seem to be what I thought it would be.

That said, he has played on a below par Petes team and even good players can sometimes exhibit that type of bad behavior on a poor team (think how bad Ceci looked defensively this time last year with the 67's and how great he looks in an Sens uniform 12 months later).

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Cornel went through THW's Draft War Room:

Excerpt:

Eldon MacDonald, THW: A few words on Eric Cornel:
Progression & Evolution - Let’s cut to the chase: Eric was the third overall pick in the 2012 OHL Draft but struggled severely in the 2012-13 OHL season because he didn’t possess the overall strength necessary to succeed in the OHL. His defense was also sub-standard due in part to the strength issue. Fast forward to the 2013-14 season and these issues have not been totally eliminated but they have been addressed to the point where Peterborough is getting that top line talent they expected from the draft. He continues to evolve his game.
Skills – Physical – Great hands on a 6’2 frame, a cannon of a shot, passes that can be oh so sweet. Intangible – Add to the physical skills, the drive, desire and vision of a young man determined to succeed and you have a high end player who can make those who play with him look so much better.
Draft placement...

Full article here
____

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
We've started our '2014 Draft Countdown' over at FC and as part of the first batch, we've highlighted Cornel. We've got Cornel ranked 30th:

A strong, two-way center with built in offense capability, Cornel finished up his season with the OHL’s Peterborough Petes with a tidy 25 goals and 62 points in 65 games this season. When analyzing Cornel’s strengths, one will find they lie in his fundamentals: excellent skating and puck handling.

http://futureconsiderations.ca/fcs-draft-countdown-30-26/

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
The Next Ones profile also up on Cornel

Excerpt:
"Standing 6’2″, Cornel is a great puck possession player and can keep his body between the puck and the defender much easier with the added weight. The height usually plays a role in skating, but Cornel’s ability to move up and down the ice is free-flowing and comes easy to him.

He can also play the game well in all three zones. Without the puck, Cornel positions himself well to be able to transition from defense to offense seamlessly. He’s still a couple years away from the NHL, but he’ll be a solid two-way forward when he gains more weight.

Where Will He End Up In June:

Cornel could be a very late 1st rounder, but I’d bet he gets taken between picks #34 and #46."

Link here

He just virtually draft by the Flames 34th overall in my 3 round mock.

Last edited:

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I see alot of upside in this guy, size, and he looks so smooth out there with his puck handling, add it too a heavy shot & I read he has a decent two-way game.

Playing style looks kind of like Spezza in the way he moves, controls the puck and the cannon shot, obviously not that kind of potential, but I think he could still be a very good NHLer.

I look and see others (IMO) low ball his potential, so that leaves me thinking, what am I missing here in my evaluation of him?

Analyzer*

I see alot of upside in this guy, size, and he looks so smooth out there with his puck handling, add it too a heavy shot & I read he has a decent two-way game.

Playing style looks kind of like Spezza in the way he moves, controls the puck and the cannon shot, obviously not that kind of potential, but I think he could still be a very good NHLer.

I look and see others (IMO) low ball his potential, so that leaves me thinking, what am I missing here in my evaluation of him?

Could be everything, could be nothing.

This guy sounds like he'll be a steal in the early-mid 2nd.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yeah I guess it depends if you believe in him hitting his potentially high upside and becoming a great player, or not.

I would like to see the Canucks get him at #36 if he's available.

I'd like the Isles to get him at #35. ;)

Seriously, I hope the Isles do. I've been advocating him for a little while now over on HF Isles.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I'd like the Isles to get him at #35. ;)

Seriously, I hope the Isles do. I've been advocating him for a little while now over on HF Isles.

Cornel is PWs guy and he has sold me on him.

Isles need to add to thier wings. A combo of Dal Colle and Cornel the first 2 rounds would be nice

Analyzer*

Yeah I guess it depends if you believe in him hitting his potentially high upside and becoming a great player, or not.

I would like to see the Canucks get him at #36 if he's available.

He'll likely be there.

Cornel is PWs guy and he has sold me on him.

Isles need to add to thier wings. A combo of Dal Colle and Cornel the first 2 rounds would be nice

Islanders could just leave him at centre.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

About all I can say is because he looked so out of place last year he was out of sight out of mind to start the year. And then he had a pretty consistent year, the type that does not garner attention. As such I'm not sure he was seen a lot.

Reminds me of another Ottawa boy Baptiste last year who followed much the same trajectory. By the end of last year he was looking like a stud OHL player, but just was not anyone's radar. He'd be a first rounder in a redraft a year later (from a third rounder), and I think some people will be saying much the same about Cornel next year.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Islanders could just leave him at centre.

The Isles are strongest at center so Cornel would probably be moved to RW if we got him, but the organization seems to like positional versatility in their forwards. We have few natural wingers and a ton of centers and ex-centers throughout the lineup.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
The Isles are strongest at center so Cornel would probably be moved to RW if we got him, but the organization seems to like positional versatility in their forwards. We have few natural wingers and a ton of centers and ex-centers throughout the lineup.

Getting a LW in the 1st and then Cornel in the 2nd would go a long way towards strengthening up the wings. Might be a good idea to trade up from 57 after that though to secure a goaltender. Address all three of our biggest needs in the first two rounds.

TheNudge

Aug 11, 2008
Getting a LW in the 1st and then Cornel in the 2nd would go a long way towards strengthening up the wings. Might be a good idea to trade up from 57 after that though to secure a goaltender. Address all three of our biggest needs in the first two rounds.

If Islander are smart, they would draft Ehlers with their 1st rounder (5th overall) and then draft Cornel in the 2nd round if he's still there.

Ps.: Ehlers is a LW ;)

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
If Islander are smart, they would draft Ehlers with their 1st rounder (5th overall) and then draft Cornel in the 2nd round if he's still there.

Ps.: Ehlers is a LW ;)

There are definitely a handful of routes they can take. There are at least six guys I can see them consider if the goal is to bring in a LW for Tavares - Dal Colle, Ehlers, Ritchie, Fabbri, Nylander, and Perlini. If they stay at 5, I'm guessing it will be one of the first three.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

Just from these clips, and from what I've read, Cornel seems like a boom or bust prospect. With those hands and that size, vision and passing ability his upside should be as good as anybodys in the draft. Could be a potential 2nd round steal.

Last edited:

douglast5

PS3 GMC Comish
Sep 14, 2012
hfboards.hockeysfuture.com
From that video he looks like a first rounder. What's holding him back from being one?

His biggest hindrance is probably his poor first year, 16 points in 63 games. Because of this he was way under the radar and had to work his way pack into the draft.

His play took a large leap when the Petes traded for Garlant, as a playmaker it gave him two options to pass to rather then always Ritche and it made that line really dangerous, that and moving him to the wing where he could focus more on offense rather then the more defensive play a center has.

GuillaumeLetsundress*

His biggest hindrance is probably his poor first year, 16 points in 63 games. Because of this he was way under the radar and had to work his way pack into the draft.

His play took a large leap when the Petes traded for Garlant, as a playmaker it gave him two options to pass to rather then always Ritche and it made that line really dangerous, that and moving him to the wing where he could focus more on offense rather then the more defensive play a center has.

That line and pp will be huge next year, Cornel has been trending in the right direction and progressed well through the year, id love if my team took him early in the second, I foresee a great year for him next year and even a spot on the WJ team if that big line comes flying out of the gate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad