C Rourke Chartier - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2014, 149th, SJS)

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Liked this kid in two showings this year. Thought he deserved some love. Not producing as much as we all expected, but plays a strong two-way game with excellent hockey sense. Good skater and solid tool box. See a lot of potential in him. Any thoughts?

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Some quick blurbs on Chartier:
- ShawTV segment; Kelowna's leading rookie scorer last year
- Part of the gold-winning Canada U18 team at the 2013 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament
- C-ranked prospect in preliminary rankings and struggled through a pointless October
- Worked through that slump, high compete, and seems to have hit his stride offensively in mid-December
- Last 10 GP: 5G, 6A, +9

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Watched the first period of Kelowna-Lethbridge from last week and Charter was everywhere. Busting up plays with his speed, hitting open men with behind-the-back passes and just being a genuine presence. It's weird, because the previous 3-4 times I saw him this week, I'd look at my notebook afterwards and have literally no notes for him because he was completely invisible. It's quite striking, at this level, how big a difference you see in the play of a player with confidence vs. one with none.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
PPG player in the last two months. Blew up a water bottle last night. 6pts in his last 3gp

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
How does this guy not get more love? Great game today.

He won the team's top defensive forward for Kelowna. He's been a PPG player ever since the start of December, and he's already got 6 points this playoffs. Great skater too, big reason for Kelowna's great PK.

His line was absolutely buzzing today.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Really solid player.

Goes to the dirty areas, gets into prime scoring position (could improve his shot though), plays a full 200 foot game, and isn't soft with or without the puck.

He sort of reminds me of a lite, but more physically engaged RNH.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
I could see this guy being like Remi Elie in that he doesn't have the most impressive stats due to outstanding team depth but he goes high in the draft regardless

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Nobody talking about this kid?

6 goals, 11 points in 5 games, and got a hat trick in one of the games. Picking up where he left off last season in terms of production. He looks great defensively and a step faster skating wise. He flew down the ice Saturday on Merkley's first goal.

Saw a Pronman tweet about him earlier this month

Corey Pronman @coreypronman · Oct 4
SJ got a really good prospect in the 5th rd in Rourke Chartier. Well-rounded prospect, and big part of a top WHL team.

What are you guys thinking in terms of NHL projections/comparisons?

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Watched a few Kelowna games, he was very good, great 5th round pick. I didn't even realize he went that late, thought he was 2nd-3rd round caliber player before the draft.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Nobody talking about this kid?

6 goals, 11 points in 5 games, and got a hat trick in one of the games. Picking up where he left off last season in terms of production. He looks great defensively and a step faster skating wise. He flew down the ice Saturday on Merkley's first goal.

Saw a Pronman tweet about him earlier this month

What are you guys thinking in terms of NHL projections/comparisons?
I've compared him to Cody Eakin several times. Happy to see he is off to a hot start.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Scored 2 more goals tonight. Now 10 + 6 through 9 games played. Do we start up the hype train now?

He's off to a great start, but that whole team is putting up ridiculous numbers. I think his upside is a high energy 2nd/3rd line tweener. I few posts ago I said Calvert. Another guy would be a less annoying Marchand.

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
He's off to a great start, but that whole team is putting up ridiculous numbers. I think his upside is a high energy 2nd/3rd line tweener. I few posts ago I said Calvert. Another guy would be a less annoying Marchand.

If he turns into a similar player with the same impact as Calvert, then sign me up

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Kid just can't stop scoring goals. 2 more last night. Now has 17 goals in 17 games.

Is it:
1)Meaningless post draft year point explosion by "smaller" player that won't translate to NHL (such as Byron Ritchie putting up 55 goals in 66 games)

2) Good player riding the coattails of a better player and seeing a big statistics jump because of it (Danny O'Regan at BU this year)

3) Just an honest to goodness case of a guy who has made measured improvement to his game and has moved himself from a mid-round guy to a guy who should have gone much much earlier (Johnny Gaudreau)

Not quite sure which is the answer.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
It's too early to make any judgement but I was surprised he lasted as long as he did at draft day, had him ranked 53 overall.

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
Kid just can't stop scoring goals. 2 more last night. Now has 17 goals in 17 games.

Is it:
1)Meaningless post draft year point explosion by "smaller" player that won't translate to NHL (such as Byron Ritchie putting up 55 goals in 66 games)

2) Good player riding the coattails of a better player and seeing a big statistics jump because of it (Danny O'Regan at BU this year)

3) Just an honest to goodness case of a guy who has made measured improvement to his game and has moved himself from a mid-round guy to a guy who should have gone much much earlier (Johnny Gaudreau)

I view this situation as somewhat like Kane and Toews. They are both exceptional players and each one feeds off the other. They both make exceptional plays at times which makes the opposite player get and easy goal or assist but it's a reciprocal relationship. They are both good players with different styles of plays which complement the other really well. (Not comparing these prospects to those two players)

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Yet another three-point night tonight. Before the 2014 draft, these were my notes on Chartier:

Rourke Chartier, C, 5'11 180, 72GP-24-34-58, WHL, Apr '96
Pros: Relentless worker, highly competetive, faceoff ace, very good defensive game, smart, good strength in corners, solid skills, finished season strong after slow start
Cons: Below average size, doesn't project to be a big point producer
Bottom line: Could be a 3rd rounder who makes it as a third liner in the NHL, which would be a good value pick. Not really a home run potential type of pick, but could be a good player

I do these at draft time for every player I feel has a chance to over-achieve their draft position.

Really like Chartier as a prospect. I was hoping he wouldn't be a player who's offense would keep him in the AHL level as a pro, and with his season to date it's looking like he could be a legit solid player for the Sharks down the road.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010

Is it:

I think it's #3. If you looked at his numbers at the start of the 2014 calender year till the end of last season, he was a PPG player, and he followed that up with a strong playoffs.

He just won the WHL player of the week last week and now has 18 goals in 18 games, and 32 points.

Edit: To the poster above me: I think Chartier looks bigger this year, maybe it's just perception bias though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad