C Robby Fabbri (2014, 21st, STL)

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
A highly advanced offensive player who understands the attack zone and has a great feel and passion in occupying it. Is a strong skater who stays on track due to his skating base and plays not only strong on the puck but on the forecheck to unearth it. Creates chance with good anticipation, soft hands and absolute fearlessness against larger players. If he gets bigger and stronger, some team may draft a huge competitor who already has a two way game and strong back check.

Bill Placzek

Anyways, I'm curious as to what people think of him, as I haven't really seen much of him or heard much talk about him either. He sounds somewhat similar to Nic Petan, does that sound like a decent comparison in terms of play style and where he ultimately ends up on draft day(early-mid 2nd round)?

arsmaster*

Surprised there wasn't already a thread.

From my viewings last year, he's more of a buzz saw than Petan. He works really hard for his chances.

I would say if he's drawing a comparison to a Winterhawk it would be Leipsic. Both guys are small, can score, like to play physical.

Fabbri stuck out to me in my viewings more than any other forward on Guelph last year, and that says a lot, as they're incredibly deep up front and have very good talent up front (averaging 5 goals a game in the OHL this year).

I'd love to hear an update from Brock or any of the other resident OHL guru's.

butter sheep*

Good skater with soft hands. But didn't stand out in the game I seen him in. Seemed to disappear after the warm up.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Really stood out to me as one to watch last season. I still really like him. Works hard and is pretty skilled. Undersized though.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
In my viewings he's been less impressive than Guelph's other undersized centre, Hunter Garlent. I'll echo what some other people have said here though: he's highly skilled, creative and tenacious. One flaw I've noticed is that he almost has an impatience to his game; he'd rather take on multiple defenders and try and force a play than wait for an opportunity to open up. Sometimes this results in a good offensive play, but other times just creates turnovers

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Saw him play a couple of times this year. Very noticeable on the ice. Skating is very good, good puck handler, he's slippery in the offensive zone, hard to pin down. I like that he can find soft spots in defensive coverage to get open, and he's aggressive and strong enough to go into the corners and get the puck or lay the body. He's a feisty little guy too. Tougher than you'd expect. Against Niagara he got destroyed by a hit, and missed half the third period, only to score the winning goal in the shootout. He reminds me a lot of Derek Roy actually.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
One of my favourite ohl players this year. Has high offensive skill and a great mind for how to get open. Has a strong shot and skates very well. The only lack he has is his size but he plays a lot bigger than he is, can play a physical game as well. Smart on the forecheck and uses his speed and smarts to anticipate plays and cause turn overs. Who ever gets his gets a very good player

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
C Robby Fabbri - Guelph Storm, OHL (2014 Draft)

Fabbri has been having a very good sophomore season in the NHL, albeit undersized he seems to be a player who doesn't shy away from physicality. For anyone who has seen him play consistently/knows what he's capable of, what do you think his long-term potential is?

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I could see him being a good 2nd or 3rd liner in the NHL that can play in all situations. He plays with a lot of intensity, works really hard out there, and has talent. He's one of those guys that stands out to you almost every night because he has such a good motor.

Whoever drafts him will love him and I have little doubt he'll be an effective NHL player despite him being undersized.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Whether he ends up a 2nd liner or just bottom 6 energy line player, the kid is going to be a fan favorite. Love the way he plays.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
On most draft boards its looks like Fabbri is supposed to be a late 1st rounder/early 2nd. I think he'll be a great value pick if he's taken around there.

GuillaumeLetsundress*

Fabbri hits the 40 goal mark, 38 assits 78 total in 50 games, sooo quiet around here for him. I understand he is a little undersized and on a good team but its not like he is racking up second assists, 40 goals is quite the accomplishment especially with 8 or so games left in the season

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Fabbri will be the steal of the draft. If an NHL picks a player like Hosang ahead of Fabbri they are putting no emphasis on consistency, character, reliability and toughness. Fabbri is a winner and a leader.

Fabbri has more goals than any 96 born eligible player, Dal Colle, Bennet, etc. Suspended for 10 games too. So less games more goals. Meat and Potatoes player who plays big. Size is a non issue. U can not teach his mentality, its a skill and an advantage he has. Something that Sam Bennett also has. These 2 guys will play through pain because they cant stand to watch.

arsmaster*

Fabbri will be the steal of the draft. If an NHL picks a player like Hosang ahead of Fabbri they are putting no emphasis on consistency, character, reliability and toughness. Fabbri is a winner and a leader.

Fabbri has more goals than any 96 born eligible player, Dal Colle, Bennet, etc. Suspended for 10 games too. So less games more goals. Meat and Potatoes player who plays big. Size is a non issue. U can not teach his mentality, its a skill and an advantage he has. Something that Sam Bennett also has. These 2 guys will play through pain because they cant stand to watch.

I see the same things, but I imagine you've seen a lot more of him.

Where would you take him in this draft? I have a hard time finding 15 guys I'd rather draft than him.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Size is a non-issue against OHL defencemen, but there is no guarantee that what he does will translate to the pros. Smaller guys who tear up juniors while playing a bigger man's game are a bit of a red flag for me. That being said, he is extremely skilled and seems to have the hockey sense to adapt his game for the next level.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Size is a non-issue against OHL defencemen, but there is no guarantee that what he does will translate to the pros. Smaller guys who tear up juniors while playing a bigger man's game are a bit of a red flag for me. That being said, he is extremely skilled and seems to have the hockey sense to adapt his game for the next level.

He's built like a brick ****house. If anything, I think his strength will surprise players that try and overwhelm him with their size advantage. He's on the short end, but certainly doesn't lack strength. I've seen him light up a few guys who are considerably bigger.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
He's built like a brick ****house. If anything, I think his strength will surprise players that try and overwhelm him with their size advantage. He's on the short end, but certainly doesn't lack strength. I've seen him light up a few guys who are considerably bigger.

He's listed at 165 lbs on the OHL site, so I'm assuming you think that's inaccurate? What you would you estimate his weight to actually be?

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
He's listed at 165 lbs on the OHL site, so I'm assuming you think that's inaccurate? What you would you estimate his weight to actually be?

I have no idea. He very well could be. I just know he has a very powerful build and is quite strong. Weight doesn't always dictate strength/power, and I think Fabbri is an example of that.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
High Hockey IQ, tough as nails, plays MUCH bigger than his size would predict, great Mitts, plus skater, his own coach compared him to Ryan Callahan.

That having been said, size WILL absolutely affect his draft position, expect late 1st round for him. I have no doubt someone will pick the Ho Sang's and Goldobins before him because of the size issue but.....they may be sorry that they did that.

Dec 2, 2010
High Hockey IQ, tough as nails, plays MUCH bigger than his size would predict, great Mitts, plus skater, his own coach compared him to Ryan Callahan.

That having been said, size WILL absolutely affect his draft position, expect late 1st round for him. I have no doubt someone will pick the Ho Sang's and Goldobins before him because of the size issue but.....they may be sorry that they did that.
Comparison is quite off.. let me tell you he has ten times better hands than Callahan has ever had. He's improved a lot this season. Way more competitive. He's a bit like Brendan Gallagher but also better hands.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Comparison is quite off.. let me tell you he has ten times better hands than Callahan has ever had. He's improved a lot this season. Way more competitive. He's a bit like Brendan Gallagher but also better hands.

I think he does resemble Callahan as far as working and caring in the defensive zone. Fabbri is good on the PK like Callahan, maybe not to the level as Callahan is very very good on the PK. Just my opinion but I see some Doug Gilmour in Fabbri.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad