C Riley Kidney - Laval Rocket, AHL (2021, 63rd, MTL)

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Think he should played in Laval this year?
Kidney still needs to bulk up, become more explosive and agile as a skater, improve his overall balance, as well as focus on learning to play at a faster pace with the puck, and rounding-out his positioning defensively. And those are just basic areas of weakness (relative to full-time NHLers) he needs to polish if he wants to become a long-time pro.

Then you start to nitpick the details in Kidney's game, how he sometimes misses timing/angle when he tries to get body position on his adversary along the boards, how he still needs to improve his man-to-man defense as well as his reads against the cycle, similarly noting his need to learn to spot holes in the defense faster to be able to exploit them at the NHL level, and also the work he must put on the quickness of his transition.

To be clear, for that last one about transition speed we're talking about half a second (often less actually) that he currently "wastes" with his decision-making from all positions/states on the ice, but that's the difference between a clean-cut breakout, with offensive opportunities, and a much more contested one. That's also the difference between truly high-end transition play and the realm of the more common man, but I digress.

Long story short, I like Kidney as a prospect, I really do, but development takes time and we should stop trying to quicken a prospect's progression through the ranks.

To be fair, if Kidney was sent to the AHL this year instead (CHL regulations notwithstanding), I'm pretty sure he'd still be more than decent. But right now, with the amount of things he's got to improve upon as a prospect, sticking Kidney in the QMJHL for him to dominate while slowly working on his confidence and on fixing his flaws, is quite probably the right path for him.

I say that because when he eventually reaches the AHL next season he will be a better player having had that extra year in the Q than if he'd been sent there this year. Meaning that he probably would enjoy more success at the AHL level from the get-go in that scenario, enhancing/preserving his confidence. At least that is how I envision things.

And that more natural progression should lead to better success for Kidney's career going forward, given how much belief in yourself matters when it comes to realizing your potential in pro sports.

Anyways, that's it from me. Cheers and have a good day.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Kidney still needs to bulk up, become more explosive and agile as a skater, improve his overall balance, as well as focus on learning to play at a faster pace with the puck, and rounding-out his positioning defensively. And those are just basic areas of weakness (relative to full-time NHLers) he needs to polish if he wants to become a long-time pro.

Then you start to nitpick the details in Kidney's game, how he sometimes misses timing/angle when he tries to get body position on his adversary along the boards, how he still needs to improve his man-to-man defense as well as his reads against the cycle, similarly noting his need to learn to spot holes in the defense faster to be able to exploit them at the NHL level, and also the work he must put on the quickness of his transition.

To be clear, for that last one about transition speed we're talking about half a second (often less actually) that he currently "wastes" with his decision-making from all positions/states on the ice, but that's the difference between a clean-cut breakout, with offensive opportunities, and a much more contested one. That's also the difference between truly high-end transition play and the realm of the more common man, but I digress.

Long story short, I like Kidney as a prospect, I really do, but development takes time and we should stop trying to quicken a prospect's progression through the ranks.

To be fair, if Kidney was sent to the AHL this year instead (CHL regulations notwithstanding), I'm pretty sure he'd still be more than decent. But right now, with the amount of things he's got to improve upon as a prospect, sticking Kidney in the QMJHL for him to dominate while slowly working on his confidence and on fixing his flaws, is quite probably the right path for him.

I say that because when he eventually reaches the AHL next season he will be a better player having had that extra year in the Q than if he'd been sent there this year. Meaning that he probably would enjoy more success at the AHL level from the get-go in that scenario, enhancing/preserving his confidence. At least that is how I envision things.

And that more natural progression should lead to better success for Kidney's career going forward, given how much belief in yourself matters when it comes to realizing your potential in pro sports.

well said

Reactions: badfish

JT3

May 27, 2013
Seems like carbon copy of same player last year
Can't comment on if his defensive game has improved but he's putting up slightly improved numbers and carrying most of the load on what is a worse Bathurst team compared to last year. They lost MacArthur, Lapierre, Tourigny over the summer to name a few.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011

Just watched closely tonight.
pretty to watch but needs to be more involved in puck battles and agree he needs to develop more without the puck.
he sees the ice well with puck on stick but needs to bear down in the tough areas around the net. Space closes quick on him so he needs quicker execution,
do not see him in any meaningful role on WJC 23.
better options needed down the line up listed by Button.

Reactions: montreal
Aug 25, 2009
éal
Any Titans fans can put us in perspective the relation between Kidney and Melanson? Are they both on the same line? Is one a product of the other more? Or are they complimentary?

Curious as to why Kidney get lof of recognition, and Melanson none

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Any Titans fans can put us in perspective the relation between Kidney and Melanson? Are they both on the same line? Is one a product of the other more? Or are they complimentary?

Curious as to why Kidney get lof of recognition, and Melanson none
Because one is drafted to the Habs and the other Seattle.

Both are great players, Melanson is totally different as he also has a physical side, to the point of crossing the line too much even , he's been suspended like 7 times in his Q career. They are definitely complimentary

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad