C Philippe Gadoury - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2012 undrafted)

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
You beat me to making the thread :laugh:

I'm speculative about him getting picked at all, but he should get an invite at least. Absolute pure goal-scorer. He just always seems to know where to go to seperate himself and find quiet ice to get the puck on and off of his stick quickly. He has a very good release matched with a hard, accurate shot. He skates pretty well and is aware on both ends of the ice. Also, a very creative player with the puck. He has nice hands in tight. Only things working against him is that he doesn't have much size nor does he really get involved physically (not to say he's a perimeter player).

Last edited:

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
He's definitely been impressive, that wrist shot is just deadly.

However, I would say that his numbers are a bit inflated, since he's often been used as Drouin's trigger man. Still, he stepped right into the lineup and seemed to have no trouble adjusting to the league, and on top of that, he's had no trouble keeping up with Drouin.
Might be a team out there who believes that he's a late bloomer.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Size is a concern, skating is a concern.

He's doing well and getting attention. The longer the Mooseheads go in the playoffs and the better he plays, the better it is for him.

I would say training camp invite.

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia
I've considered making this thread for about a week or so.. ended up not doing it because I figured there wouldn't be much discussion in it.

I think he's worthy of a 6/7th round pick, but I could easily see him go undrafted and get offered an invite.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Has 5 goals and 7 points in 4 playoff games now as well.

I think he gets an invite for sure.

Jul 10, 2010
I'd spend a 6th or 7th on him

It's not like they become NHLers at a frequent rate anyway and this guy has a good a shot as any

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
1g and 3a last night in the series-clinching game against Gatieau. 17 points in 9 playoff games (3rd place to only Drouin and Ehlers) and 28 goals in 28 games since joining the team. He's really proving to be a big part of this offence. It'll be nice to see what he does the rest of the way and as a 20 year old next year.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He ended up with 25 points in 16 playoff games. Add that to his 26 points (20 goals :eek: ) in his first 19 major junior games and it's very impressive.

I know he is a 94 born which is always an advantage in junior when your older but it isn't like he had Zach O'Brien overage numbers. Next year would be his overage year. He's just a year older than guys like Drouin.

I haven't seen him play at all so can somebody chime in and tell me how he looks? Is he a product of Drouin or is he actually a good out of the blue prospect?
Do you think somebody takes a gamble on him at the draft or is he more likely a training camp invite?

I know Patrick Roy loves his french kids. I wonder if the Avs take a shot at him if he's available in a later round. With the numbers he put up I wouldn't be surprised if he goes even a little earlier kind of like Tanner Pearson did 2 years ago at the same age Gadoury will be at this year's draft.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
I haven't seen him play at all so can somebody chime in and tell me how he looks? Is he a product of Drouin or is he actually a good out of the blue prospect?
Do you think somebody takes a gamble on him at the draft or is he more likely a training camp invite?

He's talented offensively. Thinks the game well, has decent hands, good vision and really excels at being in the right spot at the right time. That ability is critical because of the aforementioned issues with skating and size. He needs to be elusive in the offensive zone in order to survive.

Has benefited from Drouin being able to put the puck on his stick when he gets in those spots to score, but you need to have the ability to know where to go and get the puck in the net too.

That said, he's a bit older than your normal draft eligible (turned 20 in February) and it has to be asked:
1. Is he going to get much bigger? He might get stronger with a dedicated S&C program.
2. Is he going to get much faster? Again, something that would be easier to figure out with fitness testing etc.

That's why it's so important for a team to get him into a development camp. Get him on the ice without a Drouin beside him, see how he does. Do fitness testing on him and see what his potential for improvement with his skating is.

When talking to scouts, one of the players we used as referenced was Alexandre Grenier (Vancouver prospect). Grenier played half a season as a 19-year-old (same as Gadoury) and was a third-rounder in 2011. But the similarities end there, with Grenier having good skating ability and a 6'5 frame.

So if you use a player like Grenier as a barometer, in my opinion that puts a guy like Gadoury in the later rounds. Do you take a flier on him, knowing that he's going to be an over-ager next year, that you have two years before you have to sign him and that he more than likely won't have Drouin feeding him passes in the fall?

Might be worth it for a 6th/7th round pick.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Wouldn't he be eligible to be signed outright, since he's been passed over twice?

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia
Drouin/Ehlers were in on 22 of 25 of his points during the playoffs.

Can you say beneficiary?

Yet he had more assists than goals. Wouldn't that mean they benefited more from having him?

PP Goals: 7
ES Goals: 5
PP Assists: 7
ES Assists: 6

Ehlers Goals w/ Gadoury Assist: 6/11
Drouin Goals w/ Gadoury Assist: 4/13

Gadoury got the majority of his points from the PP. He's with Ehlers and Drouin on the PP. It only makes sense that most of his points would feature Ehlers and Drouin. Then when you factor in that he plays on a line with Drouin.. of course Drouin is going to be creating with him.

Gadoury assisted on more than half of Ehlers' goals... I guess he relies on Gadoury to score.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Yet he had more assists than goals. Wouldn't that mean they benefited more from having him?

PP Goals: 7
ES Goals: 5
PP Assists: 7
ES Assists: 6

Ehlers Goals w/ Gadoury Assist: 6/11
Drouin Goals w/ Gadoury Assist: 4/13

Gadoury got the majority of his points from the PP. He's with Ehlers and Drouin on the PP. It only makes sense that most of his points would feature Ehlers and Drouin. Then when you factor in that he plays on a line with Drouin.. of course Drouin is going to be creating with him.

Gadoury assisted on more than half of Ehlers' goals... I guess he relies on Gadoury to score.

Not sure if serious.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
If Alex Grenier can come out of nowhere at 19yo after being passed up twice, so can Gadoury. Very similar situations really, Grenier's bigger so that contributed to his 3rd round selection, but Gadoury is much more skilled... High IQ, wicked shot and a great work ethic.... If you compare his 19yo season to Grenier he should also be a 3rd round pick, but I just hope he gets picked... And I have a feeling he will.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
If there's a team out there who believes they can help him work on his skating, and help him add some muscle, he could get drafted.

His wrist shot is a thing of beauty. All around offensive skills are quite good as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia
Not sure if serious.

So if a player gets points with the guys he plays the most with, he's reliant on them?

The flaw you had in your post is that you counted points in which Ehlers/Gadoury or Drouin/Gadoury had the assists. If he's assisting on the play how is he the one benefiting from them?

Ehlers assisted on 12/25 of Gadoury's points, Drouin assisted on 15/25 of his points. Drouin's is going to be higher because he plays ES and PP with him.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Wouldn't he be eligible to be signed outright, since he's been passed over twice?

I've always wondered about this...as an example, Colorado signed overage Samuel Henley about a week ago, who is a year older than Gadoury and plays in the Q. Wonder if the rules are different for an overager vs a 19 year old.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
from NHL.com

Entry Draft Eligibility
All players age 19 or older [(i) any player who will be age 18 on or before September 15 in the year in which such Entry Draft is held, or (ii) reaches his 19th birthday between September 16 and December 31, both dates included, next following Entry Draft, can attain eligibility by delivering to the League a written notice (Opt in Form) prior to the later of May 1, or seven days following the date such player finishes competing on his team in the year in which such draft is to be held.] are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, except:
(i) A Player on the Reserve List of a Club, other than as a try-out;
(ii) A player who has been claimed in two prior Entry Drafts;
(iii) A player who previously played in the League and became a free agent pursuant to the Collective Bargaining Agreement;
(iv) A plyer age 21 or older who had played hockey for at least one season in North America when he was age 18, 19 or 20

Bolded the important parts, since the NHL can't explain anything in simple terms.

So I guess since Gadoury won't yet be 21 by the time the draft rolls around, he will still be eligible.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
If Alex Grenier can come out of nowhere at 19yo after being passed up twice, so can Gadoury. Very similar situations really, Grenier's bigger so that contributed to his 3rd round selection, but Gadoury is much more skilled... High IQ, wicked shot and a great work ethic.... If you compare his 19yo season to Grenier he should also be a 3rd round pick, but I just hope he gets picked... And I have a feeling he will.

I think you are mistaking Grenier's lack of work ethic for a lack of skill. His skill is above Gadoury to go along with his size.

Gadoury is very skilled though, sometimes he looks a lot like Drouin out there.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
from NHL.com

Bolded the important parts, since the NHL can't explain anything in simple terms.

So I guess since Gadoury won't yet be 21 by the time the draft rolls around, he will still be eligible.

Teams sign players who are not 21 all the time. See Jean-Sebastien Dea who was signed by PIT last summer and played his 19 yrs old season afterwards.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Teams sign players who are not 21 all the time. See Jean-Sebastien Dea who was signed by PIT last summer and played his 19 yrs old season afterwards.

There is a window of opportunity extending from the draft until I believe the start of the season where NHL teams can sign players who were passed over in the previous draft.
The idea would be a player who went undrafted, but was then invited to a development/rookie/training camp and then earned a contract. I believe it only applies to CHL or North American players.

Dea is an example of one such player, as is Brett Festerling and Maxim Lagace.
Tomas Hyka is somewhat infamously an example of a player who was not able to be signed. Philadelphia invited him to camp and tried to sign him, but because he spent the previous season in Europe, he was ineligible to be signed.

Oil For The Boys

Jan 7, 2013
I saw him a lot in Nepean this season and he never really stood out to me, he was just a guy who was always in the right spot at the right time. I remember a few times in particular there would be a loose puck along the side of the net and Gadoury would just sneak in out of nowhere and score. I didn't think his game would translate this well to Major Junior because he really wasn't a dominate player in the CCHL but he's certainly proved me wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad