C Otto Kivenmaki - Ässät, Liga (2018, 191st, DET)

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Otto is an undersized Finnish center, playing for both Ässät's Liga team and Ässät's U20 team. He is a very agile and nifty player who likes to set up goals. He isn't shy of scoring aswell. This year he is having a 1PPG season for the U20 team with 17 games playing in the Liga. He isn't producing a lot but that is partially because Ässät is dead last in the Liga.

Very interesting player, I hope he will be a stable Liga player next year and I hope he keeps developing into the skillful centre he is. Not sure if he will be a NHL player, but he should reach the AHL in the next 3 years.

Otto Kivenmäki at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMule93

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
hes tearing it up in liiga right now

11 points in his past 9 games, getting close to 20min a game

Not bad for a 7th rounder

I'm not going to get really excited about a recent 7th rounder but when hes scoring goals like that in Liiga its hard not to think he could be more legit than your typical 7th rounder. How many guys drafted that late even play in Liigga right after their draft year?

He seems like he could be turning himself into a viable NHL prospect. 11 points in 9 games is a really good stretch in a difficult league for a guy that young

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
He has a long way to go before he's physically ready to play in the NHL, but his hockey sense and puck handling ability seem pretty legit. It's definitely intriguing to see if he will be able to fill out and improve his skating.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
2 goals and 1 assist tonight. I can't wait to see him at the WJC.

I don't follow alot of the Wings prospects overseas too much, for the pure fact I am not very familiar with how their leagues work. Which league is he in? Is it the top division, or a development league?

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
While I'm sure he's disappointed to not make the squad, the WJCs aren't always the best gauge for how good of a pro he will be.

How many stars have flamed out once turning pro? He's a small kid with lots of skill, use it as motivation and move on. Getting first line reps in a pro league > playing in the WJCs.

Reactions: FinPanda

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
While I'm sure he's disappointed to not make the squad, the WJCs aren't always the best gauge for how good of a pro he will be.

How many stars have flamed out once turning pro? He's a small kid with lots of skill, use it as motivation and move on. Getting first line reps in a pro league > playing in the WJCs.
True, good points. Still hate the decision to cut him, I thought he would have a 2nd/3rd line role.

Reactions: saska sault

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Oh well, he was cut from the camp even though they said that they were going to make cuts after the practice games..

I hate the decision.

Why? I'd rather see Räty, Maccelli or Tanus run the powerplay, We just can't pick the team full of small left handed wingers of similar style.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Why? I'd rather see Räty, Maccelli or Tanus run the powerplay, We just can't pick the team full of small left handed wingers of similar style.
I think his shot would've been useful. I didn't think he would run the powerplay.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Had a slow start but he is finding his way back to being (almost) a point per game player. Most of the time he is a 1st line player. Overall really surprised he is doing this well.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Last edited:

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Reactions: Jussi and FinPanda

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
David Nemecek jäähy 20 minuuttia

Here is the full link. Just a terrible situation.

Feel like that clip needs a disclaimer for the people who don't like seeing blood.

Anyway, wanted to post that according to local tabloids, Kivenmäki was released from the hospital today in stable condition. His status is out for the season, the team doctor stated it'll take at least 2-3 weeks before the progress of his recovery can be re-evaluated. There is no timetable set for his return to the lineup, the possibility of the injury being career-ending hasn't been ruled out.

Last edited:

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Last edited:

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Äiti kertoi pysäyttävää tietoa karmeassa taklauksessa loukkaantuneen Otto Kivenmäen, 19, tilasta: ”Tässä on kyse ihan koko elämästä”

He got hit to the head by David Nemecek. He lost his helmet and he hit his head straight to the ice. A lot of blood on the ice. His mother told in his facebook post that his season is over and in worst case it could be a career ending injury. Terrible. I wish the best for him.

Didn’t get the head, got the upper arm first. Low ice camera shows it better.

This is what happens when you get hit by a guy who has 60 lbs on you. The kid had more guts than brains trying to make the pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad