C Oliver Kapanen - Kalpa, Liiga (2021, 64th, MTL)

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
One of the few Finnish players who had a good tournament. Hasn't really gotten that much attention here in Finland either, even though he was a 2nd rounder and has played well in Liiga this season(14 points in 32 games).

Big right handed center who can skate and win faceoffs is pretty hard to come by.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
One of the few Finnish players who had a good tournament. Hasn't really gotten that much attention here in Finland either, even though he was a 2nd rounder and has played well in Liiga this season(14 points in 32 games).

Big right handed center who can skate and win faceoffs is pretty hard to come by.
Does have some good things in his game. Mostly face-offs and forechecking. But lacks just too much of pure skill. I don’t see a very good chance for him having a long and steady NHL career. If he will ever have an NHL career, it will for sure be as a 3rd or 4th line defensive forechecker. He definitely doesn’t have skills for anything more than that.

Luigi#17

May 25, 2006
Pardubice
Does have some good things in his game. Mostly face-offs and forechecking. But lacks just too much of pure skill. I don’t see a very good chance for him having a long and steady NHL career. If he will ever have an NHL career, it will for sure be as a 3rd or 4th line defensive forechecker. He definitely doesn’t have skills for anything more than that.
+1
Not good in transition game combination methinks.

Reactions: Ippenator

Jorma Heart

Sep 5, 2009
I don't see him as a top 6 player, but I can easily see him playing long NHL career as a defensive center, he has all the tools to do that. He's just so good to intercept passes and stealing the puck away. Best player on Finland's first line in this tournament

Reactions: jfhabs

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Thanks for the update. Seems like Liiga doesn't get nearly the attention on these boards that it once did.

And KalPa seems to be well-stocked with younger prospects.
I guess quite a few of us are tired of getting bashed for praising our prospects, there is less of us here and he isn't exactly the most noteworthy prospect. Also Liiga isn't the league it used to be.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I guess quite a few of us are tired of getting bashed for praising our prospects, there is less of us here and he isn't exactly the most noteworthy prospect. Also Liiga isn't the league it used to be.

Have heard many of these points. Surprised they haven't contracted the league to 10 or 12 teams but that can be said in many leagues around the world - from U16 up to the professional ranks.

Reactions: FinPanda

jaa

Oct 24, 2013
Surprisingly low attention for Oliver on this board. Yesterday he got 3 goals against Britain. Ofc one of the easiest opposition in tournament, but I think he has been really good in every game so far (WC and practice games preceding WC).

He has good hockey iq, not top tier but most definitely good enough for NHL level. His skating is good, his shot is good, smooth hands, and uses his body well. He is responsible to follow team's tactic, not a liability defensively. His play style is straight-forward, which I think is well suited for modern NHL.

He was maybe the hottest forward in recent SM-Liiga playoffs, I think he has progressed really well this season. I reckon he could play as winger in the NHL, his style is not "pure C". I think he can be a top6 player in Montreal. Almost guaranteed 3rd line complimentary C/W in my opinion.

He signed a contract with SHL's Timrå, where his father is working as a sports director. I'm excited to see what he can do there, considering it is a bit harder league in my opinion.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
IMG_5527.png

Reactions: Dempsey

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
very lucky with his goals in this tournament
His last goal against Norway was lucky (or let's say the turnover by Oksanen leading to his empty netter was lucky). But his redirections ("tip ins") for hard floaters don't look lucky at all. He's redirecting exactly where he intends to. In the dying minutes of Norway game he had another brilliant redirect, but this time goalie was lucky ;).

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Any word on Montreal signing him (or trading his rights to another club showing interest)?
No word yet, but we are hearing they want to sign him. In all likelihood, he will be playing in Timra next season and try to crack the Habs lineup the following season.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
No word yet, but we are hearing they want to sign him. In all likelihood, he will be playing in Timra next season and try to crack the Habs lineup the following season.
I think they'd like to evaluate him at camp this year and send him back to Timra if he doesn't make the team. Then Laval/Montreal the following year. They did the same with Heineman.

Jorma Heart

Sep 5, 2009
Any word on Montreal signing him (or trading his rights to another club showing interest)?
I'm pretty sure that he or his agent said that he is gonna get signed this season, but he will play in Timrå if he doesn't make to Canadiens roster from the training camp. Right now I wouldn't be surprised if he'd make the team, but odds are against it, and it would propably be the right move play one more season in Europe since AHL isn't possibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad