C Nico Hischier - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2017 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sully097

Mar 16, 2015
Edmonton
Nico Hischier
5'11
163lbs
Center
Switzerland
Left Handed

With half a season with the Bern U20 squad under his belt, Nico will be expected to spend 80+% of the 2015-2016 season with there U20 team. He should be coming into the camp with a whole lot of confident, after having a spectacular Ivan Hlinka memorial tournament. He came into the tournament as one of the lone 1999's and was expected to be a 2nd line player for the highly skilled Swiss squad. He surpassed all expectations, including my own, when he finished the tournament on the Swiss top line and tied for 3rd in tournament scoring with 6 points (2G 4A) in just 4 games. His Swiss squad did finish 2nd last in the tournament, but that doesn't take away from how great Nico did play. He was always on the ice, no matter the situation the Swiss were in, and always seemed to impress. I noticed that he was very strong on the PP as someone who plays off of the half-wall and who isn't afraid to walk into the middle of the ice with the puck and fire it past the goalie. He competed very well against his fellow 2017 draft eligible (Nolan Patrick, Kailer Yamamoto) and to me he was the most utilized and the most relied upon by there team.

Now talking about Nico's game, he's a very smooth skating forward that plays very low to the ice. He currently sits at 5'11 which is average for a forward of his age and is coming off of a 61 point season with the Bern U17 team in just 22 games. I saw him as a strong playmaker but he also showed off a side of his two way game in the way that he was very strong in his defensive zone and was a helpful support for his d man. He possesses spectacular vision and high end puck moving skills that he uses much of the time instead of shooting the puck. He is quite skilled with the puck and will embarrassed opposing defenseman once in a while with a quick move. I see him as a playmaker who can put up a tonne of points, he has finished almost all of his season with almost 50-50 goal to assist ratio which to me indicates his dominance at all levels he has currently played in.

A couple of down falls I found in his game were that he was really not physical at all, but I don't think that he will ever be used in a position where he will need to be physical. I also felt that he needed some work on his shot which is already decent but has much room for improvement. He will need to add on some weight as he currently sits at 163lbs.

Nico is still two years away from being eligible for the NHL draft. I'm hoping he will be taken in the upcoming CHL import draft and that he will spend his eligible season in North America. He will be competing against a tonne of forwards that are already playing North American hockey, but I think Nico will get the opportunity he needs to raise his stock. I felt that his performance at the Ivan Hlinka's was better then all of the other 2017 draft eligible that were there. It will be fun to see however if he can put up those numbers that he has in the past, at a much higher level of hockey this year.

nico_hischier_s12.jpg

Comment away

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He's a guy whose name I've been keeping an eye on for some time. Really trending towards being one of the best players to come out of Switzerland these past few years. One of few talented swiss that'll likely have the size too. With him being 5'11 already and his brother 6'2 it seems safe to say he'll get to NHL size by the time of the draft. Hoping he makes the leap to NA next year. Really talented kid.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I've heard from a couple of European scouts that he could be perhaps the best player ever to come from Suisse, even more talented than Nino and Fiala.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Looking at the players for the 2017 list, he is definitely a 1st round to me IMO (a top 15 pick to be more accurate currently). I've heard that certain people have him in the top 5 though.

It's real early but I agree. Looks like a 1st rounder right now and likely a top15 pick.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Played his first pro game this weekend, because SC Bern has a lot of injured forwards.
Last one to debut at 16yo was Roman Josi.

This kid will go places, if they keep him in safe hands.
Teemu Numminen, Sabres Scout was at the game and called him a top 10 prospect for 2017 according to Swiss Media.

StevenEllisNHL

Nov 29, 2014
He'll represent Switzerland at the WJAC. Think he gets a crack as the 13th forward for the U20 WJC team? He looked good at the Four Nations tournament earlier this month.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He made the WJC team, pretty sure he's the only 99 birth year at the tourny, excited to see what he has. And do people think he's staying in the NLA? or is he likely to come over to the CHL or go to another European League?

edit: Rondbjerg also made it on Denmark.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
first game vs Denmark on Sunday !

lets see how he does.... needs to get stronger and lets see how tough he is

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
surprised to see him make wjc how often does a underager make a team
16 year olds very rarely, particularly for bigger name teams. For the Swiss the last person to make it was Phil Baltisberger, but Hischier seems to be thought of much higher. For bigger nations the last ones I can think of are Zacha, Vrana, Puljujärvi and McDavid

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
16 year olds very rarely, particularly for bigger name teams. For the Swiss the last person to make it was Phil Baltisberger, but Hischier seems to be thought of much higher. For bigger nations the last ones I can think of are Zacha, Vrana, Puljujärvi and McDavid

Eichel, Matthews

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Eichel, Matthews
Both were 17 their first go around, I can't think of the last 16 year old to make the Americans.

edit: Just did some quick research and it appears the last 16 year old American to make it was Brian Leetch in 1984-85, there were 3 other Americans prior to that.

Here is the list i was going off. You may be confused because both are late birthdays they played in two WJC's prior to their draft. Bouwmeester who is also a late birthday actually played in 3 prior to being drafted.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/leagu...&leagueid=WJC-20&leagueteam=&nation=&sort=u17

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Got off to a good start at U-18 WJC vs Latvia with 3 assists. Truly intrigued by what he can do, and if he chooses to go the CHL route. Feel he could really establish himself as a top 10 pick with a strong U-18.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
He's currently heavy on Halifax's radar, but I can see him being gone before we make our pick.

Pretty much depends on if him and his agent like an offer from one of the 6 teams in front of us. It would be incredible to get him, we've had pretty good luck with guys playing out of Switzerland the last couple years to say the least.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Any more talk of what this kids situation is? I remember hearing Halifax awhile back. Would be cool if he was Swiss league ready as it would be easy to compare to Matthews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad