C Nick Schmaltz - North Dakota, NCAA (2014, 20th, CHI)

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I think it sucks a guy from Madison is going to North Dakota, but it only hurts him. (JOKE ALERT)

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Granted he is a 96, but when I saw him a couple weeks ago in Cedar Rapids, he got pushed around and knocked off the puck alot.

He does have the handles and speed to warrant the consideration he has gotten thus far though. The one play that stood out was a nice toe drag coming out of the right corner firing a low wrister.

Top 10 draft pick might be a stretch though IMO.

americanscout09

Oct 11, 2012
Granted he is a 96, but when I saw him a couple weeks ago in Cedar Rapids, he got pushed around and knocked off the puck alot.

He does have the handles and speed to warrant the consideration he has gotten thus far though. The one play that stood out was a nice toe drag coming out of the right corner firing a low wrister.

Top 10 draft pick might be a stretch though IMO.

Yes I totally agree. I don't belive he is top 10 but in many mock drafts I have seen I saw him around that number. Right now I have him at 16 but there are still two years so you never know.

Startel

ChuckBartowskiMovie
Feb 15, 2014
Bump. Wondered what happened to this kid. 63 points in 55 games is pretty good is this guy a first rounder or early second rounder you think?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
if his brother went in the first round, this kid will go in the first round.

has the skill to be a very good player and heading to a right program that will get his ass working. 20-30 range for Schmaltz.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
E-Mac profiled Nick Scmaltz in his War Room series at THW.

Excerpt:

"Mr. Playmaker – What separates Nick from his peers is his special hands and vision which allows him to make plays at high speed or in tight. He has the ability to set up his linemates when no options are apparent.
Big game hunter – Nick seems to perform his best in big games or in international situations where the spotlight is on him.
Genes – His brother, Jordan Schmaltz, was drafted 25th by St.Louis in 2012 – who will get bragging rights in the Schmaltz family?
Draft placement..."

Link to full article

___

Nikita Gucherov

Mar 12, 2015
Is anyone from North Dakota able to comment on how Nick has looked this year?

What kind of role is he playing? 2C? 3C? PP1? PP2?

Does he look to be improving on small things (e.g. faceoffs) and on the defensive side of the puck? And away from the puck?

as15

Sep 21, 2012
UND is extremely deep at forward. Keep that in mind when I say that for the majority of the year, Schmaltz played the 3rd line center role. 5 on 5, he played mostly with Stephane Pattyn and Colten St. Clair, two upperclassmen grinder's with very little skill.

He is on the first PP, and without a doubt, it runs through him and his brother Jordan. It seems to me his strengths (hands, vision, passing) and weaknesses (compete level, strength) haven't really changed. His defensive positioning is very good, but his lack of compete really inhibits his effectiveness without the puck.

UND's first line center went down for the year 3 weeks ago. Since then, he was thrust into that role and has competed substantially harder. He is at about 52% on faceoffs, so solid, yet unspectacular.

He is a player that always leaves you wanting more, but then about once a game he will make an unbelievable player that leaves you saying "yeah, he should be a first rounder". There was a play a couple of weeks ago where he held the puck in the slot for a couple of seconds, sucked all of the defensive player's to within a stick's length of him, and then sauced it to his brother for a tap in goal. It was vision, poise, and passing skills all at an elite level.

If his consistency and compete level go way up, he is a top end NHL player. If they don't, he may never get a shot at the NHL.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Is anyone from North Dakota able to comment on how Nick has looked this year?

What kind of role is he playing? 2C? 3C? PP1? PP2?

Does he look to be improving on small things (e.g. faceoffs) and on the defensive side of the puck? And away from the puck?

Would like to know this too! Anyone who has seen him have an NHL comparison or what you think he will be in NHL?

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I've seen him about 8 times this year. He is invisible until he makes a play only an NHL star can make. He is an enigma.

Right now I'd compare him to Sam Gagner

30whales

Oct 18, 2011
Like others are saying he has all the talent in the world. He just chooses when he wants to use it at times. I believe he could put up unreal numbers next year if they put him with a couple of scorers. As was said before, he has been playing mostly with grinders but when it comes to the PP he looks like a stud. Both him and his brother make you think that they could be so much better if it looked like they put effort into the game. They are both very smooth and never look like they are in a rush but that's just how they play.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Sounds like he's having a great year with 26 points in 20 games. Looks set to rep the US at the WJC. Has anybody watched him play that is able to comment?

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
One of the best playmakers in college. The kid has absolutely unreal skill but finds himself in no mans land in the neutral zone when it's a rush for the other team.

But yea, he's going to be good.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
such a great turnaround for Schmaltz stepping up and playing a two-way game now. no longer a floater involved in all 3 zones now.

great game so far sick feed and great goal for 3 points so far...starting to get going again. my gut says he turns pro and Hawks wouldn't be happier to have him mature at Rockford asap.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I wonder if he is going to get a contract offer?

Otherwise he'll be centering Tyson Jost, and Brock Boeser next year.

Tough choice

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I wonder if he is going to get a contract offer?

Otherwise he'll be centering Tyson Jost, and Brock Boeser next year.

Tough choice

we are getting depleted with prospects, especially high-end ones. I would be shocked if he doesn't get a contract and have him learn the pro game.

though his brother did stay for 3 years, I think that was more of a product of being able to play with his brother for a year which they did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad