C Nick Cousins (2011, 68th, PHI)

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
In my limited viewing of Soo games, Ive noticed he plays more of a pivot, top-of-the-crease game than Marchand's net driving style. I'd say that his offensive potential could be around the same as Marchand's, but he will be utilized in a bottom six role. I could see him lining up alongside Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds in a few years to form one hell of a checking line

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
His playmaking abilities are under-rated....has excellent on ice vision. He likes to play in the dirty areas as well but his size (or lack of) will prevent that style in the NHL. Has the potential to be a 2nd line forward.

SchennSational1022*

LC Nick Cousins (2011, 68th overall, Philadelphia)

His legal matter doesn't look like it's gonna be too serious(nothing factual, just a gut feeling that it hasn't gone anywhere. Plus he's playing in the OHL), and he went into today leading the OHL in scoring. I think he has the ability to score 50-55 points a year in the NHL while being a total pain in the ass to play against.

What do you guys who know more about prospects than I do think? This thread is going as if nothing comes out of his legal matters. Most things I've read have him pegged as a pretty good bet to be a second liner. He'll probably be converted to wing as a flyer though.

So pretty much what do YOU see as his potential in the NHL, and how come somebody leading the OHL in scoring didnt even get recognition as a top 50 prospect on HF's list?

Lazarrr

Apr 10, 2010
Ottawa
Third liner, but the ability to play on the top 2 lines. A couple years on the Phantoms and will probably crack when he's 22. Does all the little things well but doesn't excel in one area.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Hes the definition of weasel lol hes small, never fights but is a huge pain in the ass with good offense. Marchand is a good comparison, I could see Cousins putting up 50 points in the NHL

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
His legal matter doesn't look like it's gonna be too serious(nothing factual, just a gut feeling that it hasn't gone anywhere. Plus he's playing in the OHL), and he went into today leading the OHL in scoring. I think he has the ability to score 50-55 points a year in the NHL while being a total pain in the ass to play against.

What do you guys who know more about prospects than I do think? This thread is going as if nothing comes out of his legal matters. Most things I've read have him pegged as a pretty good bet to be a second liner. He'll probably be converted to wing as a flyer though.

So pretty much what do YOU see as his potential in the NHL, and how come somebody leading the OHL in scoring didnt even get recognition as a top 50 prospect on HF's list?

Because it's not about who's the best Junior scorer, it's about who'll be the best/the most impactful NHLer.

I personally haven't seen much out of Cousins, other than Ryan Rupert giving him a healthy slash to the stomach.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Any shot he gets picked for WJC?

Seems unlikely because 1) his legal issues, and 2) because there are a lot of options similar to him who are at least equal if not better (ie: Dan Catenacci -- also a smaller guy, a PITA, very fast, very good defensively, pretty good junior scorer), and it'll be a tight race between those guys if any of them make it...Which, IMO, is unlikely because lockout.

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
Honestly, despite the point totals, he hasn't really been that good.

I liked his play last year when I saw him, but this year he seems more interesting in starting **** than he does playing hockey. His defensive effort has been very weak too.

I see him as a third line centre. He goes to the front of the net, and he goes to it hard, so that's a plus. He doesn't have the speed nor the work ethic that comparable players may have.

To answer your last question, it's because junior production isn't everything. There has been many superior players just in the OHL this year that aren't on the list. Boone Jenner, Seth Griffith, and Lucas Lessio.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I think Cousins has a shot at making Team Canada, he could really succeed in the right role at WJC. He had a strong under 18 with Team Canada where he started as a 4th liner and ended up with 8 points in 7 games. If he makes Team Canada, it will be as a pesky bottom six winger who can step up to the top six and help the PP. He would be asked to play a more physical game and also be a primary offensive option on a checking line.

As for an NHL future, I think the potential is there to be a solid #2 or great #3 center if he rounds out his two-way game and continues to improve his skating. He has that ability to get under the skin of his opponents but I think because of that his offensive game tends to get overlooked. He has great vision and pretty darn good puck skills. Tends to put up points consistently rather than in bunches, and will usually get better as the year goes on. High end potential is a Krejci type player offensively speaking, low end I see a Max Talbot type impact.

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
Nick Cousins

As a Flyers fan, and a Belleville resident, I'm curious what people who see him on a more regular basis think. First in the OHL in points right now, but some people seem to think his offense won't translate to the pros. The only comparison I've ever heard is a poor man's Brad Marchand, but looking at Marchand's junior stats, Cousins seems to be putting up more points in a better league. Everytime I ask for insight no one seems to be entirely sure. Some thoughts are appreciated.

And please keep this topic away from his legal troubles and his WJ's snub. It's something I don't want to hear about anymore.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I see him becoming a top 9 C who best fits on the third line with a couple larger wingers, and probably chips in on your second PP. Cousins relies on skill to dominate in the OHL, but his size may prevent him from having a big offensive impact at the next level. What he showed me at the Ivan Hlinka tournament was that he has the intelligence to adapt to a checking role if needed. He will always be a pest and I think that's where the Marchand comparisons come in. Between the two I'd say Marchand is stronger and a better skater but Cousins sees the ice much better.

Expect to see Nick make the jump to the AHL at the end of this season and to start there next year. Luckily for him Philly has very little depth up front prospect-wise, so Cousins will likely get the chance to play a big role with Adirondack.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Cousins has a lot of talent, easily enough to be a top six forward capable of putting up 60+ points in the NHL but his personality and on ice antics are so bad I'm not sure he'll ever make the show because of it.

I can't say I like the kid, a few years ago he dove twice and acted like he was unconscious in the ice, drawing two five minute majors. He then laughed about it and said acted like it was a good thing in his intermission interview.

He doesn't seem to be a case of hated by other teams liked by his own like Downie is. Quite a few cases of players who he didn't get along with, Dan Catenacci is a good example.

Codith

Aug 31, 2010
Better league? The Q will probably make it 3 memorial cup wins in a row this year, not really a week league

seabass11

Dec 12, 2010
Being from the Soo, Cat and Cousins were fairly inseparable socially. They were always hanging out with each other away from the rink.
They seemed to be each other's best friends socially.

Cat's issues (his father's issues) were supposedly with the GM. From what I hear, Cousin's is a bit of a dick 'in real life' but a good guy to be a teammate with.

seabass11

Dec 12, 2010
That might be true but that's not the stories that were poping up when Catenacci was traded, and not the stories during their rookie years.

Meh. I can only go by what I saw. They were chumly. Most stories that were popping up when the Cat was traded focused on his dad's issues with dubas. In fact, that's the only story I ever heard. I'm not sure of what stories you speak of.

I will say this...the overall tone in the Soo at the time of their frosh and soph yrs. was that cousin's was the better player even though he wasn't allowed the toi/bigger moments that the Cat was given. Many/most felt Cousins, based on his play, should have been given the more prominent minutes/role. That certainly may have irked Cat but I haven't heard anything to indicate that it actually did.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Hearing about this guy's alleged behavior, and now Sheldon Keefe being his coach would naturally make people nervous.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Let's get back to answering the OP's request for his on ice performance this year and how that may translate to the NHL (or not).

Thanks.

seabass11

Dec 12, 2010
Pro's: He's got some great hands. He's the kind of player that the puck just seems to be glued to his stick. He's got a high IQ. He's a pass first kinda guy. He is in the right place at the right time. He agitates. Remarkably resilient. I can't recall him ever missing a game to injury.

Con's: smallish, not physical at all. Slightly slow skater (yet really efficient).

I think he's going to have a long and successful NHL career as a second liner. Only after he fills out and gets stronger which'll likely be a few years down the road.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Better league? The Q will probably make it 3 memorial cup wins in a row this year, not really a week league

The comparison was to the Q when Marchand played I believe, which would be accurate. No doubt the level of play in the Q has increased since then.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Pro's: He's got some great hands. He's the kind of player that the puck just seems to be glued to his stick. He's got a high IQ. He's a pass first kinda guy. He is in the right place at the right time. He agitates. Remarkably resilient. I can't recall him ever missing a game to injury.

Con's: smallish, not physical at all. Slightly slow skater (yet really efficient).

I think he's going to have a long and successful NHL career as a second liner. Only after he fills out and gets stronger which'll likely be a few years down the road.

Is he slow? I haven't seen any Soo games but at the Flyers prospect camp he appeared to have pretty good wheels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad