C Nic Petan (2013, 43rd, WPG)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Currently leads the WHL in scoring with 8 points through the Hawks first 3 games. Kid works hard, has great hands, but isn't the biggest player in the world.

Safe to say he's in a similar boat as teammate Brenden Leipsic was last year. Will have to battle all year to ensure he gets drafted.

He had 35 points last year and I wouldn't be shocked to see that number jump up to 75 or more.

Either way he's a kid to watch for the 2013 NHL Draft.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What is he like 5'7"?

Him and De Leo have had the same problem in the years past for Portland. They've always been such a stacked team that some of the their (like these two) always had limited roles, then out of nowhere they go on crazy tears like this.

I will say that his kid has some AMAZING hands, which makes space and time for him and his teammates.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
What is he like 5'7"?

Him and De Leo have had the same problem in the years past for Portland. They've always been such a stacked team that some of the their (like these two) always had limited roles, then out of nowhere they go on crazy tears like this.

I will say that his kid has some AMAZING hands, which makes space and time for him and his teammates.

You got to love the talent they get. It's simply astounding how good they seem to collect it.

How many 1st rounders have they had in recent years? Since the 2010 draft they have had 15 drafted players, 5 of them first rounders. For reference they had 18 drafted players in the preceding 10 years (2000-2009).

I've heard comparisons to Eberle in the way he plays offensively. Seems a little premature for 3 games but is there any truth to it?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Watched him last night, will see him live tonight. Didn't do a ton last night.

maplehawk

HFB Partner
Watched him last night, will see him live tonight. Didn't do a ton last night.

i disagree to an extent. he's not showing up on the scoresheet but the kid is a ball of energy every single shift. he's also quite adept at gaining the zone and setting up a play.

gaining the line, stopping up and finding the trailer seems to be a talent of his. he's got real nice wheels and a good set of hands too.

portland should be a dominant team this year. they just seem a level above their opponents for the most part - but especially this weekend. i thought they outplayed the pats by a fair margin last night but got some bad luck, and then tonight was a blowout.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
i disagree to an extent. he's not showing up on the scoresheet but the kid is a ball of energy every single shift. he's also quite adept at gaining the zone and setting up a play.

gaining the line, stopping up and finding the trailer seems to be a talent of his. he's got real nice wheels and a good set of hands too.

portland should be a dominant team this year. they just seem a level above their opponents for the most part - but especially this weekend. i thought they outplayed the pats by a fair margin last night but got some bad luck, and then tonight was a blowout.

I'm not knocking the kid, just saying that the recent game against Regina wasn't one of his best. Also didn't think he was too amazing last night in Saskatoon. I've definitely seen better from him.

Bjorkstrand was much better last night when comparing the two.

maplehawk

HFB Partner
Petan is really starting to find the scoresheet with regularity now. How high do you think this kid could climb? Does his size keep limit him to a middle/late round pick?

CSS had him as a "C" player in their first rankings, but he's gotta be a riser the way he's playing. Love this guy.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Petan is really starting to find the scoresheet with regularity now. How high do you think this kid could climb? Does his size keep limit him to a middle/late round pick?

CSS had him as a "C" player in their first rankings, but he's gotta be a riser the way he's playing. Love this guy.

Similar player to Leipsic last year. Both undersized, but doesn't hold them back. I think Petan has more skill but Leipsic was grittier and is actually known across the league as being 'crazy' while on the ice. I wouldn't hesitate to say that Petan could end up being drafted in the top 3.5 rounds or so.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Jesus Christ they keep coming in Portland.. The rise of the WinterHawks, will this team ever be bad again ?

They got an insane scouting department, but definitely have been lucky with Nino joining, which made more higher talented players in Bartschi and Bjorkstrand to come over. They also draft some high American players in the later rounds who would only want to play for Portland or in the US division.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
They got an insane scouting department, but definitely have been lucky with Nino joining, which made more higher talented players in Bartschi and Bjorkstrand to come over. They also draft some high American players in the later rounds who would only want to play for Portland or in the US division.

I wouldn't say they have an insane scouting department, I just think it's more of the fact that they have a great history of having success with American kids, so they aren't afraid to draft them like most teams still are.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I wouldn't say they have an insane scouting department, I just think it's more of the fact that they have a great history of having success with American kids, so they aren't afraid to draft them like most teams still are.

I probably was over exaggerating their scouting department, but it is still very good. Though I think we can agree that their winning history makes it easier for them to draft Americans that other teams wouldn't want to draft or demand a trade from (IE Jones from Everett).

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
How's Dominic Turgeon looked so far ?

He's playing a grinding role and getting grinding minutes so far due to Winterhawks depth. We gotta wait until some players graduation like Rattie and Peters who are getting decent minutes on 5v5 and PP. Though you can see his flashes of skill and stickhandling.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He's playing a grinding role and getting grinding minutes so far due to Winterhawks depth. We gotta wait until some players graduation like Rattie and Peters who are getting decent minutes on 5v5 and PP. Though you can see his flashes of skill and stickhandling.

I would echo these comments. Kid's not a checker, being forced to playing checking minutes due to team depth.

maplehawk

HFB Partner
Little conversation I had with Craig Button via twitter re: Nic

anton tibaldi ‏@antontibaldi
@CraigJButton I'm pretty high on Winterhawks' Nic Petan. Does his size limit him a mid-late round pick or do you think he could go higher?

9m Craig Button ‏@CraigJButton
@antontibaldi I like Nic & think he's a very good player who is very smart. Mistakes are constantly made because of size concerns. (Cont)

7m Craig Button ‏@CraigJButton
@antontibaldi (Cont) These are young players with lots of maturity ahead of them. Certain teams never close their minds & they're successful

@antontibaldi One more thing on Nic. When you think like he does & be productive like he is, one shouldn't overlook potential based on size.

Seems as though Craig doesn't think his size will stop teams for taking him early. I'll say late 2nd/early 3rd round is definitely a possibility for Nic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad