C Mitchell Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Been following the Knights because of Stolarz (Flyers G prospect), and this young player seems to have a bright future.

He was the Knights 1st round pick in the 2013 OHL draft. He was only 5'7 at the time, but he shot up a bit over the summer and is now 5'10.

Currently has 9 points in 6 games with the Knights. Pretty impressive.

Mark Edwards of hockeyprospect.com had this to say about him:

"-Biggest strengths are his high hockey IQ and amazing vision. He makes passes you don't think he can make. Has great short area quickness...

-And Marner's overall skating is high end - good balance and uses his edges. Great passer as stated but the kid can finish as well.

-He tends to be a pass first guy because he's such an elite playmaker but sometimes passes up good shooting opportunities. He can score.

-Very smart player who understands the game and seldom neglects taking his man defensively. Good hustle with back pressure

-Biggest weakness is obviously size and strength but he's grown a ton in past year. He was probably 5'7" 140 the first time we saw him.

-Listed at 5'10 now and gaining weight. He does not shy away from winning his own pucks. Kid is a gamer.

-Marner projects to be selected in the 1st round in a very very good 2015 NHL Draft If he keeps getting bigger & stronger sky's the limit."

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
I'd say that his two biggest talents are his passing and his zone entries. He's by far the best on the Knights at skating the puck into the zone, he has a great ability to weave through coverage with the puck. Some the passes he makes are insane as well, he has great control of his pass weight and elevation. I agree with Mark that his weakness is his inability to win board battles however. Projects to be an Alex Tanguay-type playmaking winger.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Very smart and poised player. He makes passes that you think may get intercepted bit they always find a way through. He is physical as well, I agree with the zone entries comment.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
He's over a PPG as a rookie. Does anyone on here have any update on what his linemates are or his overall game?

Currently playing with Ryan Rupert (tor) and Chris tierney (sj). Continues to be defensively responsible and dynamic in the offensive end. Puckhandling is off the charts along with his ability to make any pass happen. In my opinion, Marner is the most skilled player to come through London since Patrick Kane.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
He's over a PPG as a rookie. Does anyone on here have any update on what his linemates are or his overall game?
Marner's been playing on a line with Chris Tierney since November. Ryan Rupert was the third man last I saw. They like to work the cycle and create space for each other.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Looks like an 18-year-old out there not a 16-year-old. Extremely skilled and fun to watch.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Currently playing with Ryan Rupert (tor) and Chris tierney (sj). Continues to be defensively responsible and dynamic in the offensive end. Puckhandling is off the charts along with his ability to make any pass happen. In my opinion, Marner is the most skilled player to come through London since Patrick Kane.

John Tavares?

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Most Londoners don't really consider him a Knight because he was only here for a few months and they finished disappointingly that season. Same way that Iggy won't really be remembered as a Penguin when its all said and done

Understood.

BoDacious Horvat

Sep 1, 2013
Vancouver
Bumping. Haven't heard much on Marner lately. Had some pretty good looking numbers for an OHL rookie. Was he getting sheltered minutes? How is he in the playoffs? And would any knights fans be able to touch on how he plays the game, player comparables, strength/weaknesses, average TOI? etc. that'd be much appreciated.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Bumping. Haven't heard much on Marner lately. Had some pretty good looking numbers for an OHL rookie. Was he getting sheltered minutes? How is he in the playoffs? And would any knights fans be able to touch on how he plays the game, player comparables, strength/weaknesses, average TOI? etc. that'd be much appreciated.

He cut his teeth on a checking line and got scrap PP minutes as far as I saw earlier in the year. He got bumped up towards the end, but is back playing sheltered mins in playoffs unless it was just one game.

He's going to be just as good or better than Dal Colle and Bennett IMO. Where that puts him against next years class is a challenge. Maybe 6-15?

He can play any style you want, and passes as well as he takes on the goalie. He's very hard to track when defending and has this smooth quality to make a lot of elite plays already.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
He cut his teeth on a checking line and got scrap PP minutes as far as I saw earlier in the year. He got bumped up towards the end, but is back playing sheltered mins in playoffs unless it was just one game.

He's going to be just as good or better than Dal Colle and Bennett IMO. Where that puts him against next years class is a challenge. Maybe 6-15?

He can play any style you want, and passes as well as he takes on the goalie. He's very hard to track when defending and has this smooth quality to make a lot of elite plays already.

Is next year's draft really that strong? Because you're suggesting Marner may pan out better than two guys who are going to go top 5 in the draft this year, yet you're saying he goes 6-15. How far off is Marner from guys like McDavid and Konecny right now?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Is next year's draft really that strong? Because you're suggesting Marner may pan out better than two guys who are going to go top 5 in the draft this year, yet you're saying he goes 6-15. How far off is Marner from guys like McDavid and Konecny right now?

Loaded.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
The Ivan Hlinka Memorial will tell a lot. I thought Marner outplayed Konecny at the World U-17 Hockey Challenge.

Hemmer Time

May 4, 2014
In the scrimmages seemed like Marner was having some good games. Any idea what line he's playing on at the U-18? Has he grown?

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
I echo the sentiment that Marner's the most skilled player to come through London since Kane. He tied Perry for London's 16-year-old rookie points record (59). While Marner spent time in the first half in the top-9, he spent the vast majority of the 2nd half on the 4th line with Owen MacDonald and CJ Yakimowicz (STL, 6th round) with <10 MPG. That context makes Marner's peripherals in sabremetrics and other stats all the more impressive -- he led in London in GF%, GF%rel, PPG vs Guelph, PT%vsTop10 and was Top 3 in ESPPG and +/-%.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
He deserves to be in the top 10, he's a brilliant player, smart, a great skater and very skilled.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Really excited for Marner this season. He had a fantastic 16 y.o. season and was impressive at the Ivan Hlinka. Crazy talent. This draft is going to be a good one.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Konecny,Zacha,Strome and Andersson would like to have a word with you.

Not saying he's leaps and bounds ahead of those guys I just like him a little more than then. I'd probably group them in tiers like this:

McJesus

Marner, Konecny, Zacha
Strome, Andersson, Crouse

Eichel would be inbetween McDavid and the next three. (I know he's not in the O but just for reference that's where he'd be.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad