C Mike Winther - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2012, 54th overall, Dallas)

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Probably going to make some team in the future a solid defensive forward. Kid works his ass off and isn't afraid to get physical. If he were a couple inches taller we would be talking about him as a 1st rounder

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Part of my scouting report for him for a game I watched him play in at the start of this season.

A shifty and smooth skating center for Prince Albert. A good skating stride with a powerful and low base. Above average hands with good agility with the puck. A good hard wrist shot. Saw him bury a wrist shot high glove side while coming down at full speed down the left wing, was a very impressive play.

Very smart player positionally and committed to playing in his own zone, often one of the first players back on the backcheck. Has been relegated to the 3rd line behind Mark McNeill and fellow draft eligible center Shane Danyluk, despite having more offensive skills than Danyluk (my opinion of course).

Looking forward to following him closely this year, could be a big riser and a potential top 90 pick for 2012.

Probably going to make some team in the future a solid defensive forward. Kid works his ass off and isn't afraid to get physical. If he were a couple inches taller we would be talking about him as a 1st rounder

Really? I see him as more of an offensive player. Has good hands and a great shot. He does work hard, but his overall grit is an area that I would like to see some improvement in.

Especially when you compare him to fellow draft eligible teammate Shane Danyluk, who is the more defensive of the two.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Really? I see him as more of an offensive player. Has good hands and a great shot. He does work hard, but his overall grit is an area that I would like to see some improvement in.

Especially when you compare him to fellow draft eligible teammate Shane Danyluk, who is the more defensive of the two.

When he was at the u17s last year he was in a defensive role. I suppose I tend to look at players when they are in a best on best situation and put them in that type of role as a prospect going forward

I wouldn't put say Ferland from Brandon as a top 6 guy in the NHL based on his numbers from this season. I think he will end up a solid bottom 6 guy because that is how he will end up in the NHL in the future.(again that is not to say he can't go on to better things but that is how I visualize players)

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
He's not even on eliteprospects.com. They usually have everyone. :dunno:

If your scouting report is correct Renegade(no reason to think otherwise) maybe a middle 6 type player(2nd or 3rd line) is realistic for him. But there could be a higher potential with that kind of skating, hands, and defensive awareness. I find that all to be an intriguing set of skills and abilities.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
He's not even on eliteprospects.com. They usually have everyone. :dunno:

If your scouting report is correct Renegade(no reason to think otherwise) maybe a middle 6 type player(2nd or 3rd line) is realistic for him. But there could be a higher potential with that kind of skating, hands, and defensive awareness. I find that all to be an intriguing set of skills and abilities.

they made a typo for his name, they have his birthdate wrong as well since he was born on the 9th of January, not July

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=56825

DonFonso

Apr 14, 2007
Saskatoon
Mike Winther

Now that the P.A Raiders are playing good now and so is Mike do u think he can crack the first round in the draft if he and the team keep it up?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I don't see it happening.

I've been hard on him in my scouting reports, but maybe it's just because I've seen so much of him over the last 18 months. Either way, he has truly elevated his game this year, especially in the last month and a half or so. He's a strong skater, great wrister, very skilled overall and he competes in his own zone, too.

With that being said, I just don't see enough potential to have him be a first rounder. I have him rated around the 3rd or 4th and I bet we see him go somewhere in round 3, maybe late in the 2nd.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Was pretty good last night, but nearly as good as he was on Thursday. Still a player that will likely be a top 90-100 pick.

His lack of size/strength is a pretty big concern for me right now, but it can be said for many 17 year olds too.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I heard somewhere that he was one of the best defensive fowards in the upcoming draft, is that true?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I heard somewhere that he was one of the best defensive fowards in the upcoming draft, is that true?

I wouldn't say so. He's not very big or strong and gets knocked off the puck alot. He's smart and reads the play fairly well, but there are definitely players that are much better than defensively than he.

whlfan2

Dec 16, 2011
right now he is one of the top offensive draft players. i followed him since airdrie. he had a slow start his draft year then went on a tear, lead league, playoffs, and westerns in scoring. big time player in big games. my concern is his consistency, bad november good december. different player every game?

whlfan2

Dec 16, 2011
i am glad to see some more whl'rs added to the prospects, these boys are good players! winther can skate and troock is a big power forward. reminds me of lindros, the only one there missing is dalton thrower. a d men gets hurt hes got to be going hes good.

systematik

Feb 1, 2012
Mike Winther

There was an article by a family member of Mike Winther if anyone is interested [url]http://www.oilogosphere.com/blog/mike-winther-and-the-top-prospects-game[/URL]. I know many say it's his size that is keeping him from being selected higher but this article says Mike comes from a big family and just hasn't hit his growth spurt yet. Interesting anyways.

I'm a big Raiders fan and it would be nice to see something positive happen this year, Mike getting drafted in the first or early second would be cool to see as a fan.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
There was an article by a family member of Mike Winther if anyone is interested [url]http://www.oilogosphere.com/blog/mike-winther-and-the-top-prospects-game[/URL]. I know many say it's his size that is keeping him from being selected higher but this article says Mike comes from a big family and just hasn't hit his growth spurt yet. Interesting anyways.

I'm a big Raiders fan and it would be nice to see something positive happen this year, Mike getting drafted in the first or early second would be cool to see as a fan.

He turned 18 just less than a month ago. That's pretty old to be hitting a growth spurt. It's not very often you see a male grow 2-3 inches after the age of 17 or 18.

Plus, Winther's best asset is his skating and speed. He could lose alot of that edge if he put on 3 inches in height and was then forced to gain 30 pounds to fill out his frame. He doesn't play a "power" game at all.

Will be interesting to see how it will play out for him, but I don't see how he can be considered a much better prospect than a guy like Mike St. Croix, who was drafted last year by the Rangers.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He turned 18 just less than a month ago. That's pretty old to be hitting a growth spurt. It's not very often you see a male grow 2-3 inches after the age of 17 or 18.

Plus, Winther's best asset is his skating and speed. He could lose alot of that edge if he put on 3 inches in height and was then forced to gain 30 pounds to fill out his frame. He doesn't play a "power" game at all.

Will be interesting to see how it will play out for him, but I don't see how he can be considered a much better prospect than a guy like Mike St. Croix, who was drafted last year by the Rangers.

Doesn't mention anything about mom's side of genetics. Stupid point to make lots of short people have tall members in their family. Nonetheless he is a good prospect and I'm looking forward to watching him play tonight.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com

Actually, a lot of males can get their final growth spurt anywhere between 17-18. I got mine at 15. My friends ALL grew 1-2 inches after high school, after they turned 18. My cousin also grew 2 inches since he graduated two years ago.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Actually, a lot of males can get their final growth spurt anywhere between 17-18. I got mine at 15. My friends ALL grew 1-2 inches after high school, after they turned 18. My cousin also grew 2 inches since he graduated two years ago.

Well I hope for him that this becomes somewhat true, but I don't expect it to happen.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I doubt many expect to, but they'll take it. haha.

Have you seen Winther play a lot? What are his best/worst traits?

I've seen him roughly 15 times over the last year and a half.

Best traits: Speed and skating. Very slick on his feet and has excellent acceleration and top speed.

Worst traits: Strength and consistency. Gets knocked off the puck very easily and I've seen him be amazing one night and totally invisible the next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad