C Michael Bournival - Montreal Canadiens (2010, 71st overall, Colorado)

kobe

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Hey everyone, what do you guys think of Michael Bournival? I saw him play a couple of times this season and every time, he impressed me a lot with his play. Just a real good hockey player.

Where do you think he's going to get picked? 1st, 2nd, 3rd round?
Is he a top 6 forward?
His strengths, weaknesses?

Thanks

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Last year you would've been told he would top out as a third liner who can chip in here or there. This year he is off to a great start and might even get some WJHC consideration. He could end up being better than a 3rd line NHLer. Don't like the trade for the Avs.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
I've always thought of him as one of those "do anything" kind of players. He can play a checking role, doesn't look out of place in a scoring role (at least in the Q), PP, PK, he does it all for Shawinigan. No wonder he's their captain.

How that translates to the pro game remains to be seen. The kid is a bit of a health nut, I remember him being very impressive at the Draft Combine and I've heard he's in amazing shape.

I don't see him being a top six guy, but I think he's a "safe pick" for a pro future. I also think he could surprise and make the WJC team as a third/fourth liner.

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
I have to agree. He was a pretty good prospect like 5-6 hours ago. As soon as he became a member of the Montreal Canadiens organization, instantly he's now a can't miss, blue-chipper.

He was on TV last night as part of the QMJHL allstars versus Team Russia. He looked to be a hard worker who will do anything to suceeed - however, I don't think he is a high-end 1st-2nd line prospect. More like a 3rd line checker-sparkplug who can chip in a few goals.

He may come in handy 2-3 years down the road for Montreal but for now - advantage Colorado - how often do U get a mobile 6'5'' 230 lb. defenseman who can fight with the best for a 3rd line prospect.

Zeroknowledge*

He was on TV last night as part of the QMJHL allstars versus Team Russia. He looked to be a hard worker who will do anything to suceeed - however, I don't think he is a high-end 1st-2nd line prospect. More like a 3rd line checker-sparkplug who can chip in a few goals.

He may come in handy 2-3 years down the road for Montreal but for now - advantage Colorado - how often do U get a mobile 6'5'' 230 lb. defenseman who can fight with the best for a 3rd line prospect.

You could get that kind of player everyday especially if his name is Ryan O'Byrne

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
You could get that kind of player everyday especially if his name is Ryan O'Byrne

Well, I guess we will see how good Ryan O'Byrne is now that we gets a chance to play. Hopefully for Colorado, he will turn out like Jaroslav Halak, Matt D'Agostini, Guillaume Latendresse and some of the other young players Montreal has recently traded.

My bet is Colorado will be hard-pressed to wipe the smile off their face about this deal before seasons end.

SeriousFan09

Jul 15, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario

O'Byrne runs into trouble when a game is fast though, much like ex-prospect Shawn Belle for the Habs, doesn't seem to react quickly enough to problems.

Not sure how mean you think he is though, throws a solid hit certainly but he's not a natural fighter. Confidence seems to be shaken easily is his issue.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I've always thought of him as one of those "do anything" kind of players. He can play a checking role, doesn't look out of place in a scoring role (at least in the Q), PP, PK, he does it all for Shawinigan. No wonder he's their captain.

How that translates to the pro game remains to be seen. The kid is a bit of a health nut, I remember him being very impressive at the Draft Combine and I've heard he's in amazing shape.

I don't see him being a top six guy, but I think he's a "safe pick" for a pro future. I also think he could surprise and make the WJC team as a third/fourth liner.

This is right on. I watched the game as well and thought the same. AND...]

This guy is BLAZING fast. He looked like the fastest skater on the ice on either team. Forechecked and Backchecked with equal intensity and was putting pressure on guys and generating things with his speed and work.

I suppose worst case scenario would be something like Pascap Dupuis, although he seemed to tend to go after people at high gear all the time, rather than glide at all times; which is what you want to see, because it indicates work ethic and determination -- exactly what you want on your team.

When I was watching the game last night, I said to myself on a few occasions: who the hell is that guy, #78? He was impressive. Fantastic trade for Montreal, IMO.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

O'Byrne can mostly certainly not fight with the best of them. He does OK mostly because of his size, but don't count on him to bring any enforcer elements to a team...that's just not his game.

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
O'Byrne can mostly certainly not fight with the best of them. He does OK mostly because of his size, but don't count on him to bring any enforcer elements to a team...that's just not his game.

I guess you have not been watching him then. I agree he is not an enforcer because that is not his style but when he does fight he can fight - those boxing lessons he took paid off!!!!

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I guess you have not been watching him then. I agree he is not an enforcer because that is not his style but when he does fight he can fight - those boxing lessons he took paid off!!!!

He's a decent fighter as I said, but you said he can fight with the best of them. When in reality he would get wrecked by any legitimate enforcer in the league.

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
Exactly what he said.... Voros, Mair and Bogosian aren't exactly the best of them...

Well, I guess the best of them were smart enough not to fight him then. If U watched the game last night (his 1st in a Colorado uniform), U might have seen him:
1. Lead all Colorado players in ice time - 24:51 including 2:09 SH
2. Lead all Colorado players in hits - 6; double the next highest guy.
3. Tie for the lead of all Colorado players in blocked shots - 4.
4. Help Colorado blow out Columbus 5-1.

Ryan O'Byrne now has the chance to determine his own destiny - I wish him well and hope he continues to succeed in the manner he has started out in his new city.

strutsboa

Jan 1, 2009
Come on guys, this thread isn't about the trade and especially not about Ryan O'Byrne - it's about what kind of player Bournival is and might be.

As a Habs-fan I would really like to hear more opinions about him. What is his ceiling? Is he a "safe" pick to make the NHL as a 3rd-4th liner? Which NHL-player can he be compared to? What is his strenghts/weaknesses?

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
Come on guys, this thread isn't about the trade and especially not about Ryan O'Byrne - it's about what kind of player Bournival is and might be.

As a Habs-fan I would really like to hear more opinions about him. What is his ceiling? Is he a "safe" pick to make the NHL as a 3rd-4th liner? Which NHL-player can he be compared to? What is his strenghts/weaknesses?

This is what I wrote about Bournival on the Montreal pages:

Bournival has been a prospect all coaches fall in love with, a guy who will do what it takes to succeed, a true Timmins type of guy. IMO, he is like a Gorges at forward, not particularly big, not particularly skilled but someone who succeeds by doing the best with what he has.

This is what I wrote about him before the 2010 draft:
I will let my coach, Eric Veilleux, start the dialogue, “As long as I have been a player and coach, I've never seen a player like him. He does everything to succeed. The attack, defense, he is able to play so robust, he is a hard worker on the ice and off’’. So I am solid two-way player who has a nice shot, excellent vision and a low center of gravity that makes me hard to move off the puck. I will let Martin Mondou, the General Manager of our team finish off, “The year we drafted Michael, he was subjected various physical tests, like all our players. He was number one in all tests except one, the balance on a ball. When he arrived at camp two months later, he finished number one in this exercise also’’. And that’s what I want to be, a number one.

In summary, Bournival will do what he has to succeed, a 3rd line player but a winner, a person you would be proud to have on your roster the year you win the Stanley Cup. So, sorry to see U go, Ryan, but Bournival is not a bad pick-up.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
A lot of Antoine Vermette in him. Fast, good hands, responsible defensively. IMO at the NHL level he could be a guy who starts off on a checking line because of his defensive abilities, but is a player who could pop out of nowhere and become a defensively responsible top sixer who can chip in 40-50 points.

Really wanted the Jackets to take him :(

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Ike, you should calm down about O'B, he can put a good game on from time to time, but do you realy believe he's gonna be a solid top 4 in his career? I mean you've seen him on the Habs for three seasons, even his best games were just regular games.

Now he was impressive on his first game with the Avs, like most traded players do on their first couple of games with a new team. You know how his confidence can be shaterred and he can go on a cold streak for months. I am a fan, but unless he's paired with a Markov type, i can't see him playing a complete season on the top-4, or even a complete season without being a healty scratch. remember how many times he just fell on the ice trying to do a pivot on a 1v1?

He cannot drop the glove with the best of them, he got schooled by Laperrière last season, he didn't even pushed the oppostion players in front of the net. He turtled against Thornton, Shawn that is.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Michaël Bournival

Well the kid's got 7 pts in 10 games with the Habs.

It's not the first time rookies start hot but Bourns has been very good and we're all hoping he keeps on going.

He is a very fast skater and while not overly physical he is strong enough that he can win his battles. He's a very intense forechecker and will always work hard on both sides of the puck. Decent offensive vision and a knack for scoring timely goals.

The Canadiens acquired this kid a couple of years ago by sending Ryan fricking O'Byrne to Colorado. Great scouting work by whoever was involved here.

I expect Bournival to become quite a solid 3rd liner down the road. Perhaps a fast, hard-working, two-way center that can pot in between 35-45 pts ?

hogtownhabsfan*

He's a legit top 9 player already, just based on his speed, smarts, and energy alone. He's the type of secondary depth cup winners have. Love his game. He and Gallagher are pure joys to watch. Speedy and skilled guys who give it their everything every second they're on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad