C Maxime Fortier - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2016 undrafted)

Thebeastoftheeast

Sep 12, 2009
Drafted in the 2nd round of the 2013 QMJHL draft with the compensatory pick that Halifax gave up for relinquishing the rights to Jack Eichel.

Maxime led the Q midget league in scoring this past season with 40 goals in 40 games and was recently called up by the Mooseheads after his midget season ended. Maxime got his first ever Q goal in dramatic fashion on Saturday night with an OT winner against the Val D'Or Foreurs to put the Mooseheads ahead in the series 3-2.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Had a chance to watch him a couple of times this season. Caught a game where he was called up with Halifax in the regular season and was really impressed. Kids going to be a star. Great skater , good vision , played reliably in all three zones, has a nose for the net, quick release. Needs to get stronger but that will come with time. Didn't look out of place at all. Could have played major junior this season and likely would have if Halifax wasn't as stacked. He'll be among the top rookies next season.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I will say he is a great skater, works hard, but his hockey sense is not up to par...I myself and other scouts with other teams i know find there were other players who were a little better than him at that pick.

Bhrangerfan0809

Jan 20, 2013
I see he's off to a hot start for Halifax. Any QMJHL watchers care to comment on what he's looked like this season?

Dgill

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
www.metroho.com
Could potentially push a late second, he finished the season very strong on a very weak offensive Moosehead squad. 3-5 is the most realistic however.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
He should be a second rounder but he'll go in the third or later. He was the offensive driver for Halifax this year when Timo left. Carried the team to wins some nights. Seeing him so low on CS and some other lists leaves me shaking my head, especially when he is lower than Somppi (who is a good prospect in his right). There is no question he's been Halifax's best player since the trade deadline and is very underrated right now.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
rounds 5-7 at best

Rounds 5-7 at best? So undrafted at worst? I don't see your best or worst happening. 3rd leading scorer in Q for 1st time draft eligibles including 46 assists on a 17th place Mooseheads team is pretty impressive. Great speed, great shot and his hockey IQ definitely improved over the past year or so. In a draft that lacks depth beyond first round, he shouldn't fall past 3rd.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Anywhere from 3rd round to 7th IMO. I would personally think he is deserved of a 2-3 round selection but that's also where I thought Nathan Noel would be picked and he wasn't at all.

Fortier has great speed and offensive instincts, what he lacks in size he makes up for in determination. His game is certainly suited to the CHL game right now but that doesn't mean he can't adapt to a more pro style with his tools.

Could score 50 next season though he is certainly a finisher at this level.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Just looking at the stats, he seems like he should be very similar in ability/draft position with Pascal Laberge.

Have never seen him play (and in fact have never heard of him prior to seeing this thread), but he seems like a good 2nd round pick if all your scouts are potatoes.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I thought Fortier was going to be a good pick up with a late pick but is there a reason he was passed on?

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Some knock on his hockey sense, but I've seen that improve. I don't understand the draft sometimes. There are definitely guys who were picked in the 2nd round who have less talent than Fortier. Invited to Habs summer camp at least and I could see him having a big year and getting drafted next year.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Hoping the Leafs continue drafting overagers and draft this kid next year. Great wheels and has much better potential than being passed over in the draft would suggest. Would have happily taken him anywhere past round 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad