C Matthew Highmore - Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL (2014 undrafted; UFA signed by CHI)

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
Wonder what the take is on Matthew Highmore, F for Saint John Sea Dogs. Made the team as a 16 yo and hasnt put up great numbers but is decidedly on a weaker team. He was the last NS player to be granted exceptional status for Midget and spent a lot of time dealing with some injuries.

Anyone with any insight? only seen a few games with him this year. Thanks.

Call me Suds

Dec 21, 2012
Saw him a couple times this year. He barely played though and the minutes he played were very insignificant. Gotta think the injuries slowed him down a lot. Hopefully he puts in a good chunk of work this offseason and comes back stronger and ready for QMJHL competition. For a guy like Highmore I'll try to completely forget everything I saw of him from this season and watch him come August/September as if he's a new discovery lol

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
He's going to be good. He's a strong skater, good vision, decent shot and a has a great attitude from what I hear. He could bulk up a bit and add strength but that will come as he gets older. He didn't play much of the first half of the season due to an injury. As a 16-year old on a bottom feeder that sold complete at the trade deadline , he hasn't done bad. He'll get a tonne of ice time next season , wouldn't be surprised if he had a breakout season. Either way , not worried about it. He's coming along just fine.

Ryan English

@ryanenglish_FC
Nov 14, 2010
Halifax, NS
Great skater, pays a ton of attention to his defensive game.. There is defintely NHL upside in him. He'll need to show a little more offensively when he starts getting big minutes but really liked what I saw from him this year.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
Definitely the most notable Dog in the series ... Great skater and two-way player, so gotta think he can get some NHL attention.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
The kid is good, had some hype growing up but injuries plagued him early in his Q days.

If SJ make the mem cup I think people will have their eyes opened.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Coach compared him to Philip Danault. Fair comp?

That might be a bit of a stretch, he certainly isn't the same level of prospect although they do have some similarities. Not sure I like comparing an undrafted player who signs to a 1st round pick who is already having success in the NHL.

In the sense that he is a complete player that can be of use both offensively and defensively they are similar but that's as far as I'd take that comparison. Danault was seen as a guy who could at worst become a shutdown Centre if his offensive game did not translate, I don't see that defensive upside in Highmore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad