C Mathias Emilio Pettersen (2018, 167th, CGY; traded to DAL)

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Hope he gets to NHL. There should be a Finn Swede and Norwegian (but no Bellman) in every team. The compete level would rise to a Hoff 150. Hmm did i forgett the Danes... we love the Danes but we dont take them seriously... or understand them. And they are no real rivals to us (Swedes). But WHC should be in Denmark every year. Best hosts ever!

Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Awesome to hear. Do you think he can be a top 6 forward in Denver this year?

Possibly. Recruiting class is decent -- They also have Brendan Budy, Cole Guttman and Breet Stapley coming in as freshmen, and they just lost Terry, Borgstrom and Gambrell. I know Jarid Lukosevicius was with the Canucks so there's a chance he doesn't return as well. That's four big holes to fill and I don't think any of the jobs are cemented.

Reactions: cowgirlcath

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Anyone have a link to his first NCAA goal and have information on what line he is playing on? Looks like he had 3pts, 1g, 2a in his first NCAA game.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Anyone have a link to his first NCAA goal and have information on what line he is playing on? Looks like he had 3pts, 1g, 2a in his first NCAA game.

Playing with Guttman and Lukosevicius. Had another assist tonight.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Was at the game tonight. He looked good, but just about every Pio looked good against UAH. I’d say him and Ian Mitchell stuck out the most as they have higher skill levels relative to their teammates. Should be fun watching him this year.

Reactions: anofsti

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Got the game-tying goal with 2 1/2 minutes left to send it into OT against Western Michigan tonight with a great snipe on the late PP for DU. His line kept creating chances all night, and his linemate got the game-winning goal in OT. He’s looking great in the NCAA so far.

perronist

Dec 8, 2008
is he playing as a winger for denver? who does he compare to stylistically? the early production is eye catching, hope he keeps improving

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
is he playing as a winger for denver? who does he compare to stylistically? the early production is eye catching, hope he keeps improving
He’s playing wing on the Guttman-Pettersen-Lukosevicius line. Guttman’s taking the draws, and Pettersen typically carries the puck up the ice for that line. No idea who to compare him to stylistically - I’m bad at those.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Who was that sophomore winger and how did he turn out?

Wow, I get to follow up on a comment 12 years later! I love these boards!

That sophomore winger was Alex Steen. He's done alright in the NHL ;)

Alex was so good as a kid in house league I remember his dad Thomas having to yell over the glass: "that's three goals Alex, time to pass it." That was the last year he played in our age group and I think he was in Sweden for the rest of his developmental years shortly thereafter.

Another cute memory is that Thomas and him would wear matching Davey Crockett style fur hats to the games. I wanted one so bad!

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Wow, I get to follow up on a comment 12 years later! I love these boards!

That sophomore winger was Alex Steen. He's done alright in the NHL ;)

Alex was so good as a kid in house league I remember his dad Thomas having to yell over the glass: "that's three goals Alex, time to pass it." That was the last year he played in our age group and I think he was in Sweden for the rest of his developmental years shortly thereafter.

Another cute memory is that Thomas and him would wear matching Davey Crockett style fur hats to the games. I wanted one so bad!

That's great to hear. Thanks man!

mazmin

May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
That's great to hear. Thanks man!

And I wouldn't be suprised if Pettersen has a career as good as either Steen. Some people bloom early, some bloom late, and some have simply been dialed in since day 1. I think Pettersen is one of these guys. His skills have obviously been there for over a decade but now his NCAA performance is showing he may be able to do it all at the highest level.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
And I wouldn't be suprised if Pettersen has a career as good as either Steen. Some people bloom early, some bloom late, and some have simply been dialed in since day 1. I think Pettersen is one of these guys. His skills have obviously been there for over a decade but now his NCAA performance is showing he may be able to do it all at the highest level.

Well that'd be great for us. I was really excited when we drafted this kid (more for sentimental reasons given how I almost never follow prospects while this guy has been on my radar for years), and it's great to see him tear up the NCAA. Hopefully he can end up a solid 2nd or 3rd line center in the future given that Backlund isn't getting any younger, and it would really cap off this great story on hfboards.

mazmin

May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Did this guy drop so far because of size concerns? How else could he have slipped to the sixth round...

The USHL can be a bit of a low scoring league. It's pretty defensive and grinding at times. The NCAA is a lot more skilled and much less frantic. It's not uncommon for players to score at a higher rate in the NCAA compared to the USHL. It's a counterintuitive concept and certainly not universal, but I've seen a lot of examples. I think Pettersen falls into this category.

He's got some pretty good line mates at Denver, and everyone is scoring right now. We'll see if it's just a hot start or if they are poised to have a huge season.

Reactions: L13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad