C Mathew Barzal - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015, 16th, NYI) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Well, per Staple's article in newsday, isles are so thrilled with his camp that he may get to stick around for a few games as a reward.

Have to be happy about that, as an Islander fan.

That would be awesome! I said on the island forum that I beleive they will reward his great camp and hard work with allowing him to dress for warm ups and earning a few game checks. I can't see him playing unless thier are a few forward injuries.
None the less it's great to see how impressed the organization is with him. By all accounts he's a great kid and an incredibly hard worker which can really earn a young guy respect from the vets. All around just great to see. This is about as much as you could ask for from a (mid) first round pick in his first training camp.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Umm yeah so how bout that Barzal fellow?

Impressing me more than he should at his age.

Watching the shift by shift video, I had him pegged as a Ryan Strome type given the numbers and size similarities.

Strome has the better mind I believe, but I enjoy Barzal's shiftiness and he's more creative in puck handling per shift. I mean that every shift he seems to pull some move, mostly fake outs until there is an opening, Strome uses his body more to open up space by pacing and cycling but every now and then will pull a deke or spin move.

I think I'm pointing out the difference between the pros and juniors too.

I really love watching him though, always wants the puck and doesn't disappoint when it comes his way.

If I had to pick weaknesses it would be that he doesn't have the strength yet to do all he wants and he holds onto it too long in high pressure areas i.e. blueline. Also, loses himself in his own coverage, notice he is too close to teammates and whatnot.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Curious, what do you think of his play aware from the puck? We've had an ongoing battle in the earlier thread about his defensive abilities.

Would be interested in your opinion (recognizing that he is still young and that his game will be refined over time).

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
If he hadn't been injured, he would have been Top-5. I think he is as good as Strome or Marner.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Curious, what do you think of his play aware from the puck? We've had an ongoing battle in the earlier thread about his defensive abilities.

Would be interested in your opinion (recognizing that he is still young and that his game will be refined over time).

He didn't look bad at all defensively in the game I attended

Topkatz

Jul 23, 2010
As an Oilers fan i'm really glad for the Isles that Barzal is showing so well in their camp. Especially as we are in different conferences! Hoping the trade will be good for both of us.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
As an Oilers fan i'm really glad for the Isles that Barzal is showing so well in their camp. Especially as we are in different conferences! Hoping the trade will be good for both of us.

And I am certainly hoping that Griff can be a pillar on D for you guys. I really do hope this is a win/win trade.

100% going to see NYI/EDM in February.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It was especially surprising when Boston had, what, 3 straight picks in the first round just prior to where he went?

I hate to keep pounding this in because i don't want to upset anyone but everytime I think of this past draft this is what comes to mind. I'm no pro scout but I follow and watch my fair share of junior hockey and I can't for the life of me explain why the Bruins passed on Barzal and/or Connor?

I don't get it.

Also, people say Barzal dropped because of his injury and that may be true but Galchenyuk had a worse injury in his draft year and was still a top 3 pick. Maybe this was just such a deep draft that there was bound to bea Player who slipped past a few cracks.

Another interesting thing is how BOS's 3 consecutive picks factored into a number of things. If Barzal is off the board, the isles don't move Reinhart to EDM for the 16th overall pick. They may have moved him to EDM in a different deal or he could very well still be an islander. That also means the Isles wouldn't have been in position to draft Beuavillir either.

Very interesting stuff. Wish I had phone taps of the teams tables on draft day.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I got Barzal and Beauvillier after 15 in my keepsf league draft. Feeling pretty good about those picks.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think that it might be unfair just to point at the Bruins. The same questions could be asked of many teams who picked 5-12

Sure, as a fan of a team that picked 5-12 and screamed for them to take Barzal, I agree. But it is especially unforgivable for a team to pass him up three times. You just have to take a risk with that kind of talent. Even if he busts, you still had two other "safe" picks, Zboril and DeBrusk.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Sure, as a fan of a team that picked 5-12 and screamed for them to take Barzal, I agree. But it is especially unforgivable for a team to pass him up three times. You just have to take a risk with that kind of talent. Even if he busts, you still had two other "safe" picks, Zboril and DeBrusk.

THIS is why I'm so baffled. Great point.

Jamesbay

Oct 19, 2014

Barzal had an intense interview with Sweeney. And considering they passed on him 3 times, Barzal said some things in the interview that Sweeney didn't like.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/barzal-enjoys-intense-interview-bruins-staff

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Barzal had an intense interview with Sweeney. And considering they passed on him 3 times, Barzal said some things in the interview that Sweeney didn't like.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/barzal-enjoys-intense-interview-bruins-staff

Maybe he came off as cocky to the Bruins? Every the I have read and seen Barzal is pretty high character kid with a tremendous drive and work ethic.

Maybe the Bruins brass didn't like that he got injured while fooling around And decided they wouldn't take him in the first round? They just so happened to have 3 consecutive picks.

The only reason it's a buit puzzling is because they had those three picks and you would think the would use one on a guy with the highest ceiling at that point.

Obviously rankings are subjective and at the end of the day draft position means close to nothing as far as what a player becomes. That being said Barzal was ranked/mocked as high as 6th

I don't remeber DeBrusk and Senyshyn ever being ranked or mocked within the top ten. Zboril was a good pick but there was a few players still on the board with high upside and top end talent. Barzal Connor were obvious but even White and Koenecy were still on the board and would have been good picks.

Somtimes a team falls in love with a guy and targets that player and takes him where ever they can get them. Isles and Garth snow have done this a few times. de Hann Nelson Ho-Sang and Beauvillier were thier "guys" and didn't want to risk not getting thier guy by moving back or standing pat. In fact in all 4 cases Snow moved up.

Anyway, maybe Sweeney and company felt Barzal and Connor werent a good fit for the team. Obviously. Going to be really interesting moving forward the next few years and seeing how these guys turn out.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
Big dub fan. Barzal is a stud, had NJ pegged to pick him at the draft. Alot of teams will regret not picking him sooner. Great for NYI being pro-active at the draft

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Big dub fan. Barzal is a stud, had NJ pegged to pick him at the draft. Alot of teams will regret not picking him sooner. Great for NYI being pro-active at the draft

As an isles fan I would love this outcome but to play Devils advocate this is a really deep draft. If Barzal does end up being one of the better players from the the first round it may not be by too much. There was so much talent and I think atleast 10 of the first 15 picks will have six NHL careers.

That being said, I hope Barzal continues his upward trajectory and becomes a real top talent from this draft.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Happy with the zacha pick for the devils, but woulda loved barzal there. Thought that all along

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad