C Marco Rossi - Ottawa 67’s, OHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Top 10, or likely top 8, is pretty high. It's not like Perfetti doesn't have similar stats, and there are doubts about him. Lafreniere is a given, but are you really going to take Rossi over Byfield? Stutzle? Drysadale and Sanderson can skate rings around Rossi, have better size, and play a position that is always in demand in a year that is devoid of a lot of top D prospects. . Holtz and Raymond were playing against men in a much better league. How do you compare?

Even his teammate, Quinn, is highly rated by those who watched a lot of Ottawa, and he is taller, and still seems to have quite a bit of filling out to do.

Rossi isn't being drafted in a vacuum. He is up against the best players in the world at his age. Yes, it's partly about what they have done, but it's also about what scouts think they will do in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Rossi is going to be one of those players where you look back and see his stats and wonder why the heck he didn't go higher
We won’t have to wonder. If too many teams (stupidly) pass on him it will because of his height. You would think the success of Point, Marchand, DeBrincat, Gaudreau, Marchessault, and all the other smaller players these days would be enough to not make that mistake.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Rossi is going to be one of those players where you look back and see his stats and wonder why the heck he didn't go higher

It's an interesting year because there's a lot of hype about the top 8-10 guys and there may be a great deal of hindsight-driven schadenfreude on this board in a few years.

Reactions: HSF

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Wow, you deserve some bragging rights with that take. Since you seem so prescient, what does your top 10 look like this year? Also curious what you think of Sanderson...

Earlier in this thread I had

Lafreniere
Byfield
Stutzle
Raymond
Drysdale
Perfetti
Holtz
Quinn
Sanderson
Rossi

Im less fresh with tape right now and recency bias has shifted for a couple players. My biggest change was from watch Holtz though this preseason, I didn't see what I wanted from him. Despite putting up good points, i dont feel he was a faster player out there despite what whats-his-face media guy said. I even gave it a longer look to see if it was my bias/perception which was altering what I was seeing. Also, I think getting the Barzal comparable for Stutzle's possession game stuck in my head + how well Raymond has looked this preseason has taken that even horse race and shifted the lead barely for me.

To put them into draft tiers, each member of the tier is pretty interchangeable for me and Ive been flipping on them.

1st
Lafreniere
Byfield

2nd
Raymond
Stutzle

3rd
Perfetti
Drysdale
Sanderson

4th
Holtz
Quinn (see below)
Rossi
Zary (borderline)

5th
Quinn (depending on the day you ask me lol)
Schnieder
Zary (see above)

6th
Jarvis (depending on the day)
Lundell
Holloway
Guhle

To answer about Sanderson, hes grown on me for sure but I'm still not seeing the same upside as Drysdale. Less risk though, hes an all around good player and I can see how so many scouts have fallen in love with his play. He seems like the guy who would develop well for sure

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We won’t have to wonder. If too many teams (stupidly) pass on him it will because of his height. You would think the success of Point, Marchand, DeBrincat, Gaudreau, Marchessault, and all the other smaller players these days would be enough to not make that mistake.
players played games in the NHL last year at 70 inches or below according to NHL.com... those would be posted heights which probably are not completely accurate within half an inch.
The top 20 of those are
PlayerPosDOBBirth CityS/PHtWtDraft YrRoundOverallP
Brad MarchandL1988-05-11HalifaxNS69181200637187
Patrick KaneR1988-11-19BuffaloNY7017720071184
Brayden PointC1996-03-13CalgaryAB70166201437964
Tomas TatarL1990-12-01Ilava--70183200926061
Travis KonecnyR1997-03-11LondonON70175201512461
Johnny GaudreauL1993-08-13SalemNJ691652011410458
Jaden SchwartzL1992-06-25WilcoxSK70190201011457
Kevin FialaL1996-07-22St. Gallen--70193201411154
Quinn HughesD1999-10-14OrlandoFL7017020181753
Torey KrugD1991-04-12LivoniaMI69186------49
Jonathan MarchessaultC1990-12-27Cap-RougeQC69180------47
Alex DeBrincatL1997-12-18Farmington HillsMI67165201623945
Nikita GusevL1992-07-08Moscow--691632012720244
Clayton KellerR1998-07-29ChesterfieldMO7017020161744
Max DomiC1995-03-02WinnipegMB70192201311244
Brendan GallagherR1992-05-06EdmontonAB691842010514743
Jean-Gabriel PageauC1992-11-11OttawaON70180201149642
Conor GarlandR1996-03-11ScituateMA701652015512339
Ryan EllisD1991-01-03HamiltonON70180200911138
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Earlier in this thread I had

Im less fresh with tape right now and recency bias has shifted for a couple players. My biggest change was from watch Holtz though this preseason, I didn't see what I wanted from him. Despite putting up good points, i dont feel he was a faster player out there despite what whats-his-face media guy said. I even gave it a longer look to see if it was my bias/perception which was altering what I was seeing. Also, I think getting the Barzal comparable for Stutzle's possession game stuck in my head + how well Raymond has looked this preseason has taken that even horse race and shifted the lead barely for me.

To put them into draft tiers, each member of the tier is pretty interchangeable for me and Ive been flipping on them.

1st
Lafreniere
Byfield

2nd
Raymond
Stutzle

3rd
Perfetti
Drysdale
Sanderson

4th
Holtz
Quinn (see below)
Rossi
Zary (borderline)

5th
Quinn (depending on the day you ask me lol)
Schnieder
Zary (see above)

6th
Jarvis (depending on the day)
Lundell
Holloway
Guhle

To answer about Sanderson, hes grown on me for sure but I'm still not seeing the same upside as Drysdale. Less risk though, hes an all around good player and I can see how so many scouts have fallen in love with his play. He seems like the guy who would develop well for sure

Interesting, thanks!

Nothing too shocking. Understandable take on Holtz, and not surprised that you see Sanderson climbing a bit.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Top 10, or likely top 8, is pretty high. It's not like Perfetti doesn't have similar stats, and there are doubts about him. Lafreniere is a given, but are you really going to take Rossi over Byfield? Stutzle? Drysadale and Sanderson can skate rings around Rossi, have better size, and play a position that is always in demand in a year that is devoid of a lot of top D prospects. . Holtz and Raymond were playing against men in a much better league. How do you compare?

Even his teammate, Quinn, is highly rated by those who watched a lot of Ottawa, and he is taller, and still seems to have quite a bit of filling out to do.

Rossi isn't being drafted in a vacuum. He is up against the best players in the world at his age. Yes, it's partly about what they have done, but it's also about what scouts think they will do in the future.

Good points..we shouldn't be surprised if he goes closer to 10 than 5, he's up against a lot of talent. Even putting height aside.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
If someone does take Quinn over him I think it will be a huge mistake. Nothing is certain so maybe Quinn out plays him, but I think it's slim.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
I'll preface this by saying I think Rossi will be a good NHLer and that I don't really care about height of a player unless their like 5' 6" or something outrageous. For me, however, what stands out is that he only had a PPG of 1.17 against teams with a 0.600% or better. These would have been teams that were much closer in talent to Ottawa. The talent gap between 90% of NHL teams is much less pronounced compared to junior hockey. (these plays ins sort of confirm that). This would be my concern about how his offense will translate. He seemed to take advantage of the fact that he was older and stronger than some bottom teams who are typical filled with younger players that aren't physically filled out yet.
This argument is so stupid. I’m pretty sure that’s how hockey works.
Let’s say he is a PPG player in the nhl. How is scoring 43points in 35 games against bad teams and 39 points in 47 games against good teams bad? He is still contributing at a solid rate vs most teams. The argument”he only scored blah blah” against good teams is stupid.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
This argument is so stupid. I’m pretty sure that’s how hockey works.
Let’s say he is a PPG player in the nhl. How is scoring 43points in 35 games against bad teams and 39 points in 47 games against good teams bad? He is still contributing at a solid rate vs most teams. The argument”he only scored blah blah” against good teams is stupid.
That's kind of how I feel. Wouldn't it be more concerning if he was scoring less against the baddies? There was an analysis a few pages back comparing Perfetti's and Rossi's production against the goodies, and the conclusion was that Rossi's offensive numbers drop because he plays a more defensive game. Consequently, the goodies scored significantly more goals against Perfetti than Rossi. We see this from the more Selke-caliber players all the time come playoff time as two-way centers focus first on shutting down the opposing superstars.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
That's kind of how I feel. Wouldn't it be more concerning if he was scoring less against the baddies? There was an analysis a few pages back comparing Perfetti's and Rossi's production against the goodies, and the conclusion was that Rossi's offensive numbers drop because he plays a more defensive game. Consequently, the goodies scored significantly more goals against Perfetti than Rossi. We see this from the more Selke-caliber players all the time come playoff time as two-way centers focus first on shutting down the opposing superstars.
Exactly. It’s such a stupid analysis, it hurts my head.

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
Is he going to play in Europe this season

As far as I know, he hasn't, and will not sign with a European club prior to the draft.

I think his intentions are to wait until he is drafted and then let the team that drafts him decide where he will play.
NHL, AHL (if he is allowed?), or in Europe (Zürich probably).

As you can see there's a lot of "maybes" and "I thinks" in what I just wrote, that's because I haven't seen anything concrete, it's just based on small pieces of information from tweets and what-not.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Is he going to play in Europe this season

As far as I know, he hasn't, and will not sign with a European club prior to the draft.

I think his intentions are to wait until he is drafted and then let the team that drafts him decide where he will play.
NHL, AHL (if he is allowed?), or in Europe (Zürich probably).

As you can see there's a lot of "maybes" and "I thinks" in what I just wrote, that's because I haven't seen anything concrete, it's just based on small pieces of information from tweets and what-not.

This is what I've gotten from everything I've read too. He's had offers from Euro teams, but is convinced he can make the NHL next season, so is leaving his options open.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
This is what I've gotten from everything I've read too. He's had offers from Euro teams, but is convinced he can make the NHL next season, so is leaving his options open.
Wish I see him against the man before the draft

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Wish I see him against the man before the draft

Yeah it would have been nice. It's also going to be a situation where, by the time the NHL preseason starts, he won't have played for like 8 months, so he'll probably be out of practice, and likely not in top form to make an NHL team.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

I mean that's fine. That's pretty much how I personally project his game anyway. He's going to be a solid two way forward but he's not going to be an offensive catalyst type. Certainly worth a top ten pick and valued more by some GM's depending on what they're looking for. One has the potential to challenge for the Art Ross and the other is a Selke player. My comment and the one after looking at goals against were both good context for each player's stat lines.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Stats are only meaningful if they've shown to be a factor in the past.

Too many people are looking at his stats vs top and bottom teams and making assumptions about the implications of those stats without evidence that it makes a big difference

From what I've seen they aren't meaningless but its not as simple as if you produce way more vs bad teams you bust. Producing against good teams has definitely been something that is a good sign, but guys like stamkos and marner had big drop offs like rossi and turned out fine.

I'd rather that he scores a lot against good and bad teams, but the scoring he did shouldn't just be thrown out because it was heavily skewed against bad teams

Reactions: Deam78
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad