C/LW Steven Lorentz (2016, 186th, CAR)

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
The guy is 23 years old already so not exactly young but he's a former 7th round pick that I think is playing his way into call-up consideration. He's taken the long route by playing his overage year in the OHL for Peterborough, spending a full season in the ECHL with the Everblades, another season split between the ECHL and AHL, and finally in the AHL full time this season. Taken some time but he's progressed a lot since he's been drafted. Point per game over his last 17 games for the Checkers in the AHL and tied for second on that team in scoring behind Janne Kuokkanen.

Interested to hear from Canes fans what they think of this player.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I watch about half of the Checkers' games. Lorentz has made much progress. I don't think he gets a call-up this season due to the Canes being in a dogfight for a wild card spot. Next season he should get a serious look at fourth line center.
He uses his size well, has good (not great) hands for a big man. What he does really well is play off his line mates. He and Kuokkanen have excellent chemistry, with Lorentz able to find open spots just as the defense is closing off passing lanes.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Just noticed the big jump in numbers for Steven Lorentz — from playing three AHL games in his first pro season in 2017-18 to a 46-point season (leading scorer among forwards) with the Checkers this year.

He just turned 24 and is a restricted free agent. Do the Hurricanes re-sign him or is he more likely headed elsewhere?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad