C/LW Samuel Dove-McFalls - Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL (2015, 98th, PHI)

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Among the scouting combine attendees without a thread is Saint John forward Samuel Dove-McFalls, where he finished on the leaderboard in both LH and RH grip; and to kick off the thread, here's nki's analysis:
Samuel Dove McFalls is a pro-sized center that plays the game in a pro-style manner. Simplicity and effectiveness is his approach, he won't wow you with skill or high-end plays with the puck, but is effective all over the ice. That said, it would be fair to say that he has OK vision and can make some plays with the puck. Good skating ability and agility for his size. Excels at faceoffs. Willing to take hits to make plays and is physically engaging in his shifts. Keeps his head up and can make a pass or two. Capable of PK and has a long active stick with his reach. Supports the play well but doesn't necessarily have the vision to be a top 6 player at the next level.

In the offensive zone Dove-McFalls has a developing game in terms of being an offensive producer. He has decent size and leverage and is OK at protecting the puck but there is room for improvement there. If the shot is there he will shoot and if the pass is there he will pass, but isn't high-end in either aspect. Competes well for his position and can be physically engaging. Basically I would look at his next year to see whether there is more offensive potential there in terms of keeping control of the puck and making plays with it but he does have some tools. Right now however he projects more as a checker.

Through transition he will support the puck and is generally someone who can be counted on to be open and help the team move up the ice. Has decent speed for his size as well as agility and ability to change angles, but I don't think he is a big threat off-the-rush or anything like that. Doesn't have the skill or the vision to do that at the moment.

As a forechecker he can throw some hits and lay the body. Has long reach and an active stick that along with his mobility allows him to be a factor. Reads are decent in terms of where he has to be, but doesn't have anything advanced in terms of causing turnovers or being a really high-end off the puck player. He is pretty decent though and the tools are there for more. Should be capable of being cast as a defensive/two-way center down the line.

In his own zone he competes well. Is pretty good at physically engaging and gaining inside body position. Uses stick to cover lanes. Will maintain coverage, right now I'd say he's decent as a defensive center, but has tools for being quite good at it, especially when you take into account his faceoff ability which is a nice bonus.

Overall, Dove-McFalls for me projects at the high-end of his potential as a classic bottom 6 checking center. Has nice size, mobility, long active stick, competes well and is physically engaging, and is pretty good at faceoffs. Has PK ability. Can make a play or two with the puck and shows some vision, offensive game could develop a bit further.

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
Like mentioned he will be a solid bottom 6 centre.
Very responsible in his own end, not afraid to lay the body on defenders and can finish when given the chance.

I see him going 3rd-4th round

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Dove-McFalls and Saint John won the President's Cup Championship last night and will be going to the Memorial Cup.

If the Flyers don't sign him in the next 20 days they will lose his rights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad