C/LW Riley Stotts - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2018, 83rd, TOR)

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Was drafted in the first round by Swift Current in 2015 after lighting it up with the Winnipeg Monarchs.

In his first season with the Swift Current Broncos, his production was very low due to his lack of ice time. This season his production was also low, and because the Broncos had a stacked first line and looked to be going far in the playoffs, he was part of a package in a trade with the Calgary Hitmen for WHL veterans Matteo Gennaro and Beck Malenstyn.

Since being a member of the Hitmen has put up ten point in ten games as of today. To start the season he looked to be going as low as sixth round. I could see him rising up to a last first, but right now I think he's as low as a third round pick.

I find he gets himself into very good position, excellent skater, terrific team player, makes great plays, and has a tremendous shot. The best comparison I'd say for him right now would be Sam Steel.

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
Talk about benefitting from a change of scenery: chugging along at a near-PPG pace in Calgary (18 points in 19 games now), Stotts has seen his PPG rocket from 0.14 with the Broncos to 0.95 with the Hitmen this season. Certainly a guy to keep an eye on down the stretch.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
He's looked excellent on a terrible Hitmen team this year, since the trade. Has a great shot, good hockey sense, and is really quick. In my mind, he's a lock for 3rd round or sooner and has real NHL potential. Biggest issue I see right now is size, but that can change quickly.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
What shocks me the most is how no Leafs fans commented on this post.

Be careful what you wish for. You may get it.

More seriously, Stotts looks like an interesting prospect who is worth keeping an eye on. His ppg in Calgary was almost identical to that of Ty Dellandrea’s season, by the way. (And yes, I am aware there are more factors than ppg that go into draft position). Stotts was identified as a prospect who impressed in the Leafs’ post draft development camp. Maybe not the next Auston Matthews quite yet, however. Satisfied?

Reactions: 99664987

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Stotts and the Hitmen get national coverage on sportsnet right now if anyone cares to have a look.
1st period just ended, 1-1.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Stotts and the Hitmen getting national coverage again right now on Sportsnet.
A nice touch having the Hitmen vs Oil Kings play the afternoon of an Oilers/Flames tilt.
BTW those are the Oil Kings players nicknames on the backs of their sweaters.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
around .95 PPG this year in his d+1 season.

AHL bound next season or more seasoning?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad