C/LW Pius Suter - ZSC Lions, NLA (2014 undrafted)

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
He is having a pretty good year. I only saw him at the WJC but liked what I saw.
His recent production is pretty good, 27 points in his last 16 games, 17 goals during that span. What do people think that watch him regularly?
Has he got chances to get drafted and what is the reason he is tearing it up as of late?

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
What are his weaknesses and strengths?
He's not the biggest, but seemed to defend himself physically pretty well at the WJC.
I remember someone said he had very limited ice time last year, thats why his production was so low.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Having watched Suter in Guelph the last two years, I guess I can chime in - but don't confuse my opinion with that of someone who knows what they're talking about!

Last year's Championship team meant Pius was slotted in as more of a support player. He was able to use his tenacity, defensive positioning and speed to carve himself a nice bottom six role with second unit PK duties. When injuries hit the team, he was able to step into a top six role (albeit with great linemates) and produce quite well, IMO.

With the departures from last years team, coupled with the team being ravaged by injuries, Suter has stepped up as an offensive leader on the team. I read this morning that he is second only to McDavid in the OHL in even strength goals...that's pretty impressive, no matter the circumstances. He has a very legitimate shot at 40 goals this year, something I don't think anyone expected from him.

His size will be an issue going forward, but against OHL competition it has yet to be a problem.

His speed makes him a pretty decent bottom 6 option with a little scoring talent.

For me its hard to imagine a team won't take a flyer on him in a later round....his production alone might warrant a selection in rounds 5-7, but again, the size will scare some teams off.

I've heard if he's drafted this year he will likely return to the OHL, howeve if not, he's probably going to go back to Switzerland to play pro - much like teammate and countryman Baltisberger.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
This is pretty much a summary of what RoyalCitySlicker said, but Suter is definitely a good OHL player. You cannot base his production off of last year as he was buried on a deep Guelph OHL Championship team.

This year he has been given more minutes, and hence his production has skyrocketed. He is on the smaller side, which could scare some teams off of drafting him...but he really does have great skill. He has great puck skills, and has a tendency of scoring some important/clutch goals.

If I was a GM, I would without a doubt give him a shot with a 5 -7 round draft pick.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Not really since it is a growing trend that European players would rather develop and get better money in Europe than be stuck in the AHL (IE Reway).

Plus the team which drafts him will still get 2 years of eligibility (since he is an overager, would be 4 if it was his first year) which means he will still get valuable experience in development.

Majority of European players that come over to the CHL do not do it for development, but more of a showcase because of a more "scouted" league. So what I am trying to say is, if I was an NHL scout, I would have absolutely zero problem of him wanting to develop in a very decent league in his home country than spend the years in the AHL riding midnight buses back and forth.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
still undrafted ... a little bit surprising for a guy who scored 43 goals this year

Was he invited to any development camps?

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Pius Suter (Undrafted)

Pius Suter
Forward
5/24/1996
5'11"
165lbs

Put up 43 goals and 72 points in 61 games for the Guelph Storm last year (his 18/19-year old season).

Went undrafted two years straight and is now playing on Auston Matthew's team in Zurich in the Swiss league. Scoring at 0.50 PPG as a 19-year old there, which I reckon is pretty good.

Why did this guy go undrafted? I'm sure he'll attract interest with all the scouts watching Matthews.

Last edited:

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
He was probably an overager but was worth while a 7th round pick. I wanted habs to draft him in the later rounds

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
Leafs will sign him and complete the line Suter-Matthews-Herzog

As a leafs fan, and also a native from Guelph who has seen Suter plays many times. I would definitely love if the leafs were to claim him.

We was a rookie when Guelph made there memorial cup run and thus was playing behind a lot of depth. But since then, we was given more opportunity and really played quite well. He always reminded me of a "fabbri-lite", which should warrant a pick.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
As a leafs fan, and also a native from Guelph who has seen Suter plays many times. I would definitely love if the leafs were to claim him.

We was a rookie when Guelph made there memorial cup run and thus was playing behind a lot of depth. But since then, we was given more opportunity and really played quite well. He always reminded me of a "fabbri-lite", which should warrant a pick.

Hello neighbor! I too saw him in Guelph and thought he'd get picked for sure. I saw mock drafts that had him as high as a 5th round pick.

My guess is his size deterred teams from picking him. Though it can never hurt to throw a 7th at a guy who has the skill and work ethic.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
I was expecting him to get drafted after last year. He's always impressed me. Smart two-way player and a good goal scorer.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Further updates on this interesting player.

12 goals in 39 games as 19 year old in a men's league.

Wish I could say I've seen him play this year.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
He should be signed or at least drafted by an NHL team.

Is there any NHL interest? would kind of make sense for NJ, being the amount of contract spots they have open at this point is a little absurd. Can come in and play with Hischier maybe.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Suter has been added to the Sens roster for their upcoming rookie tournament. If he does well, he could earn a contract (if he's interested in playing in the AHL).

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Suter has been added to the Sens roster for their upcoming rookie tournament. If he does well, he could earn a contract (if he's interested in playing in the AHL).

That's cool. I didn't know that.

Not that it matters much - because it was vs a weak team - but Pius Suter scored 4 goals for Zurich in a European Champions League game three days ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad