C/LW Pavel Koltygin - SKA St.Petersburg, KHL (2017, 176th, NSH)

AstoriaIceNinja

Feb 29, 2016
Astoria, NY (USA)
EP: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=273659

Was a member of the ill-fated Team Russia U-18 MHL squad as a 16 year old. Granted, he only put up 5 points in 17 MHL games for that squad, but only a select few 2017 eligibles even played for the team (he and Kirill Slepets are the two that come to mind immediately, might have missed some).

Got barred from participation in the U18 WJC as a result of being on that team, due to their involvement with the Russian meldonium scandal.

Good size at 6’0” and 192 lbs according to his EP profile.

Off to a hot start for Drummondville so far at over a point-per-game pace. I compiled a little spreadsheet of all the PPG players in the most significant North American junior leagues (OHL, WHL, QMJHL, USHL) who were drafted in 2016 (I may have missed some, it was a brief scan).

28lrrmh.png

Anyone else have any thoughts on (or live viewings of) this guy? More info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Probably the thread title should be adjusted, as it looks like Koltygin mostly plays center this season. And I definitely like that, as I think he looks much more comfortable at center.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Lots of Russians doing well in the Q lately. Have to wonder if the style of play in the Q fits the Russian style a lot more than the other NA Junior leagues.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Lots of Russians doing well in the Q lately. Have to wonder if the style of play in the Q fits the Russian style a lot more than the other NA Junior leagues.

I appologize in advance if I offend fans of QMJHL, but isn't it the weakest of the 3 leagues?

Jackpot Jaret

Oct 22, 2014
I appologize in advance if I offend fans of QMJHL, but isn't it the weakest of the 3 leagues?

Yes, it is considered the weakest of the 3 leagues. There's less focus on defence (some teams like Moncton will play a defensive game), but its mostly an offensive driven league

Its overstated and overblown how much "worse" the Q is then the other 2 in my opinion, but there is a gap for sure

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

People like to say some of them are weaker than others but they all produce quality players.

OHL has a population of 13+ million to draw from in Canada which excludes their US draft territories.
WHL has a population of 11+million to draw from.
QMJHL has a population of 10+million to draw from.

The QMJHL probably has the lowest population pool of players to draw from within the country and most of those are some of the lower household incomes provinces in the country. I think that may have some influence in how the Q is perceived.
The types of players and the teams, cities and provinces within each league develop players differently.
The Q is by far a more offensively oriented league, but it still produces great two-way players like Bergeron. Recently they have had a nice resurgence of players and the future looks very bright over the next few years as I think Quebec will enter another golden age of prospects (Dubois, Green, Laberge, Girard, Veleno, Morand, Comtois, Groulx, Simoneau, Parent, McIsaac, Fortier, Bouchard, MacDonald, Lafreniere, Poulin) among many others.

I'm glad that Russians seem to be choosing the QMJHL over the OHL recently as I think the development style fits the KHL development style more.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada

Of course, a lot more high scoring offensive games. WHL is a meat grinder compared to the Q.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Of course, a lot more high scoring offensive games. WHL is a meat grinder compared to the Q.

WHL is definitely a more defence oriented league but there are some WHL teams that have crazy offence. Regina and Medicine Hat come to mind this season as high octane offensive teams.

Med Hat Tigers(W): 134 goals for
Regina Pats(W): 122 goals for
London Knights(O): 114 Goals for
Charlottetown Islanders (Q): 114 goals for
Erie Otters(O): 113 goals for
Halifax Mooseheads(Q): 111 Goals for

WHL also hosts the CHL team with the fewest goals against with the Everett Silvertips who only have 45 goals against.

Typically the Portland Winterhawks and Kelowna Rockets have high scoring teams as well due to the systems they run. A Russian would probably fit in with those teams as well. As a Russian I would stay well away from the OHL though except maybe London.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Koltygin and Chekhovich are both really good, even if they might not be super high on the scoring list.

AstoriaIceNinja

Feb 29, 2016
Astoria, NY (USA)
I think it's worth noting that although his stats may look about the same as last year, he didn't score a single power play goal this season (after 11 previously). Seems likely, although I don't know for sure, that he got bumped off the first power play unit due to the emergence of other players/arrival of Veleno.

That said, his even-strength scoring improved significantly over his draft year (37 5v5 points this year to 23 last year). Granted, the team's goals-per-game numbers improved dramatically as a whole (214 to 277), but given how reliable he was on the power play in 2016-17 (about 50% of his total points, 11 goals and 13 assists), the increased effectiveness 5v5 should be very encouraging. 80-90 points seems on the table for next season if he gets regular power play time.

He's got a crazy hot hand at the moment in these playoffs (shooting 27.8%), though, so I wouldn't expect that to last, but his current 5 goals in 9 games is still all 5v5.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad