C/LW Matthew Beniers - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2021, 2nd, SEA)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
If you solo isolate and watch just him. I did it last night a couple shifts, he is ALWAYS moving his feet. You're mind will be blown with how much ice he covers on a single shift. He is almost ALWAYS in the camera frame. Brayden Point type here. He's my Calder favorite for sure. The motor, skating, edges, "want", skill put together is something to love.

This. I'm fine with Detroit getting Edvinsson but Beniers was my #1 for the 2021 draft. He's going to be a 70-80 point 2 way beast for a long time.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If you solo isolate and watch just him. I did it last night a couple shifts, he is ALWAYS moving his feet. You're mind will be blown with how much ice he covers on a single shift. He is almost ALWAYS in the camera frame. Brayden Point type here. He's my Calder favorite for sure. The motor, skating, edges, "want", skill put together is something to love.

Sadly for him he didn't move at all there and also didn't cover anything when he got undressed by McTavish. Also loved the "suck it" tap he got from McTavish afterwards:laugh:

After last night, in the Calder race, it's clearly advantage McTavish but I doubt McTavish is gonna be anywhere close from the man to beat.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017

Sadly for him he didn't move at all there and also didn't cover anything when he got undressed by McTavish. Also loved the "suck it" tap he got from McTavish afterwards:laugh:

After last night, in the Calder race, it's clearly advantage McTavish but I doubt McTavish is gonna be anywhere close from the man to beat.

At this point I'm convinced you are related to McTavish. Watch the video you posted.... Beniers was literally the furthest guy on the forecheck... skated all the way back then was the only player on his entire team in the middle of the ice. The video you posted literally proved my point. It was a nice pass through his legs. Beniers was better and more impactful all over the ice than McTavish was last night. McTavish made 2 great passes but he also turned the puck over many many times (one of his horrible turnovers were right before the play you posted, the same exact shift luckily Zegras backchecked then Strome forechecked to get the puck back)

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
At this point I'm convinced you are related to McTavish. Watch the video you posted.... Beniers was literally the furthest guy on the forecheck... skated all the way back then was the only player on his entire team in the middle of the ice. The video you posted literally proved my point. It was a nice pass through his legs. Beniers was better and more impactful all over the ice than McTavish was last night. McTavish made 2 great passes but he also turned the puck over many many times (one of his horrible turnovers were right before the play you posted, the same exact shift luckily Zegras backchecked then Strome forechecked to get the puck back)
Yeah. If it helps, feel free believe whatever you want:laugh:

From a neutral point of view, McTavish played significantly less but had the same amount of points and made a scoring play through Beniers' legs.

Waterbuf

Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver
I wonder if theres a McTavish thread where you could campaign for him to get the Calder. (I will say that I'm pissed off I couldn't hold onto him in my fantasy league. Having to look at those orange jerseys would make my eyes bleed long-term, though).

Beniers looks awesome.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I wonder if theres a McTavish thread where you could campaign for him to get the Calder. (I will say that I'm pissed off I couldn't hold onto him in my fantasy league. Having to look at those orange jerseys would make my eyes bleed long-term, though).

Beniers looks awesome.
McTavish isn't gonna win it anyway. Under normal circumstances it's gonna be Power. I'm rooting for Thompson though.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
bcfc7d9b-076d-4b80-b812-3d3607fd27d1_text.gif

Mar 12, 2009
McTavish played on one of that guys local Swiss teams during pandemic season and now LARPs as his Hockey Dad.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
McTavish played on one of that guys local Swiss teams during pandemic season and now LARPs as his Hockey Dad.
1. Power
2. Clarke
3. Hughes
4. Eklund
5. Wallstedt
6. McTavish
7. Beniers
8. Johnson
9. Guenther
10. Lucius
11. Pinelli
12. Sillinger
13. Ceulemans
14. Cossa
15. Lambos
16. Bolduc
17. Othmann
18. Chayka
19. Raty
20. Coronato
21. Chibrikov
22. Olausson
23. Pastujov
24. Svechkov
25. Samoskevich
26. Kisakov
27. Svozil
28. Dean
29. Stankoven
30. Stillman
31. Harrison
32. Morrow

This may be why I'm not an NHL GM but I'd put all members of that Swedish loser WJC18 team on my no draft list. I've seen zero leadership and once they're behind also zero effort. I get that these are kids but I wouldn't wanna draft any quitters. Teams may not be this strict but I don't think the members of this team have done themselves any favours with their lackluster performances. Very disappointed with Guenther, too. I think he lost some ground over the last few days. I may be completely wrong regarding Wallstedt but I think some desperate team is gonna take him rather early.

1.) Buffalo: Power
2.) Seattle: Clarke
3.) Anaheim: Eklund
4.) New Jersey: Hughes
5.) Columbus: McTavish
6.) Detroit: Johnson
7.) San Jose: Beniers
8.) Los Angeles: Wallstedt
9.) Vancouver: Guenther
10.) Ottawa: Lucius
11.) Chicago: Coronato
12.) Calgary: Lambos
13.) Philadelphia: Sillinger
14.) Dallas: Othmann
15.) NY Rangers: Svechkov

I think you must be confusing me with somebody else.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Already looks to be Seattle's best player, or will be soon. And I imagine he's earmarked to be the player who eventually gets their vacant captaincy, too.

Full props to Beniers. He came into the NTDP with some good hype in what was not considered a great class, but he wasn't the 'guy' and people often looked to others like Peterson instead. Beniers was a definite first rounder after his U17 season but since then his development curve has been phenomenal. His meteoric rise reminds me a lot of Charlie McAvoy's similar trajectory.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
Already looks to be Seattle's best player, or will be soon. And I imagine he's earmarked to be the player who eventually gets their vacant captaincy, too.

Full props to Beniers. He came into the NTDP with some good hype in what was not considered a great class, but he wasn't the 'guy' and people often looked to others like Peterson instead. Beniers was a definite first rounder after his U17 season but since then his development curve has been phenomenal. His meteoric rise reminds me a lot of Charlie McAvoy's similar trajectory.
I think that speaks to his character and work ethic. He wants to be the best version of himself and he has that attitude that other superstars do, the desire to get better, to find areas of weakness and improve. Beniers will be the next captain of the Seattle Kraken for those reasons.

Not to backhand compliment, but that's why Wright fell in the draft. A lack of humility and pushing back on criticisms and dissection of his game. Concerns regarding work ethic and intensity that do seem to have some merit. Personally, it makes sense that with a 1st overall, you want someone mentally capable of being the guy, someone that teammates look to when they're down a goal, someone that won't shy away in the spotlight. At 4th overall, he can just be another guy. Whether he develops into a 1a/1b/2a type, it's not really a big deal, because the Kraken have Matty, because he is that guy.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
I said many times last year's Michigan team was the most talented college hockey team ever assembled. And I stand by it.

Shows how dumb the one and done format is in the national tournament.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Yeah I got time any day to watch Beniers. Tenacious, strong on the puck and really underrated vision along with high level decision making. I don’t think Wright has to develop into anything more than a good second line center because I think Seattle’s #1 is already in place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad