C/LW Joseph Garreffa - Kitchener Rangers, OHL (2017 Draft)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Looking for more info on this prospect.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=201653

from Brock Otten:
48. Joseph Gareffa - Forward - Kitchener Rangers
Tiny kid at 5'7, but this is the year 2017, not 1999. More and more, small players are proving that they can play at the NHL level pending that they have the right combination of talent and will. And I think Gareffa has the things that you look for in finding successful smaller players. For one, he's one of the better skaters in the OHL. He's extremely quick and his ability to play in transition is one of the best in this OHL draft crop IMO. Secondly, he's pretty fearless and attacks high traffic areas as if he were 6'3 and not 5'7. Lastly, he's strong on the puck and wins his share of loose puck battles despite giving up a few inches on most matchups. This is a high skilled guy who I believe will one day be a top 5 scorer in the OHL. I don't think he gets drafted, but he definitely deserves notice on a list like this for being one heck of a hockey player.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/2017/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2017.html

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
Looking for more info on this prospect.

I have seen him live probably 100 times in the last two seasons. He is a fan favourite for sure, but I fear it's largely because he's small and flashy. He has great hands and pivots on a dime. But he has major limitations beyond size.

He does not have great straight-line speed and relies exclusively on tight turns to evade checks. His shot is sub par as well. Defensively, his IQ and awareness are surprisingly low considering he played D a lot in minor hockey and has done long stints playing D in the OHL to fill in for injured players. He loses body position and has lots of trouble in front of the net. Playing centre is a challenge for those reasons. He ends up on for a lot of goals against.

By all accounts he's a great team/dressing room guy and is a real coach's player. He has improved a fair bit in the last calendar year. He went from a cute, depth novelty act to a legit top-6 forward this year. Pure hand skill and offensive instincts will make him a good OHL forward for the next two seasons with good numbers, but I just don't see much pro potential there. Too many crucial knocks.

Note: Much of what Brock says is accurate too. He is fearless and skilled. I disagree with the skating comment though. Skating is certainly not a big strength overall. Aspects of his skating (mostly his edges and direction-changes) are strengths, but it's not speed.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have seen him live probably 100 times in the last two seasons. He is a fan favourite for sure, but I fear it's largely because he's small and flashy. He has great hands and pivots on a dime. But he has major limitations beyond size.

He does not have great straight-line speed and relies exclusively on tight turns to evade checks. His shot is sub par as well. Defensively, his IQ and awareness are surprisingly low considering he played D a lot in minor hockey and has done long stints playing D in the OHL to fill in for injured players. He loses body position and has lots of trouble in front of the net. Playing centre is a challenge for those reasons. He ends up on for a lot of goals against.

By all accounts he's a great team/dressing room guy and is a real coach's player. He has improved a fair bit in the last calendar year. He went from a cute, depth novelty act to a legit top-6 forward this year. Pure hand skill and offensive instincts will make him a good OHL forward for the next two seasons with good numbers, but I just don't see much pro potential there. Too many crucial knocks.

Note: Much of what Brock says is accurate too. He is fearless and skilled. I disagree with the skating comment though. Skating is certainly not a big strength overall. Aspects of his skating (mostly his edges and direction-changes) are strengths, but it's not speed.

Given that he is one of the youngest players in this draft class (8/99 birthdate), do you think there is some room for improvement?

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
This guy can also slot back on D when need be at the OHL level. Definitely a fan favourite at the Aud and a great Junior player, but can't see him doing much at the next level.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I actually think that his strait line skating is a weakness of his. He has this funny looking stride to me. He just looks too hunched over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad