C/LW Jonathan Drouin (2013, 3rd, TBL) III

GuillaumeLetsundress*

Hope they really take extra precautions with this kid, this seems like the only thing that could keep Jo from becoming a star if not dealt with correctly

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
Had a good view of the hit from my seats... First of all did anyone notice on a PP previous to the hit Drouin toe dragged Erne, made him fall, and shot the puck causing a whistle, and as every settles down Drouin gives Erne a tap on the ass like, "hey, I got ya there" as if they were buddies... Which is what I was thinking as they've played in many prospect events and Tampa camp over the past three years... Then for Erne to do something like that, is strange... weegar has proven to be a tough customer over the last few years, I really wish he got a hold of Erne and could have tee'd off...

And for him to say what he said after the game... Wow.. doing that on the ice is one thing, but to come out after and say it was on Drouin... It's like, what are you thinking kid? Senseless comment on a senseless play. The league should look at this and suspend him accordingly... The onus is all on the hitter (nevermind the Drouin went down easy comment, which he didn't, stupid comment whoever said that) that's a textbook 5+ gamer if you look at past suspensions... Saw his numbers, didn't slow down, injured league superstar for that matter if the Q would like to do Halifax as much of a favour as they can now...

you know the game is bad when Erne's hit wasn't the dirtiest play of the night lol.

OT - whoever said Weegar was a steal, bang on. I know he's already going to be 20 in a few months but the kid has so much more skill and ability than a 7th rounder... Florida gave him a long look, and I think he's a project in the making, but a really, really good Q player.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
He didn't slow down because he had no speed to begin with. That's a push, he didn't run him.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
I know a lot of people are freaking out because it was Drouin hit, but it really doesn't even look that bad. Erne wasn't even going that fast, it was just a bigger guy checking a smaller guy. Definitely boarding, maybe 2-3 games, just to send a message about playing within the rules clearer and protecting a top player etc, but it wasn't heinous at all. Talk about 5+ games and missing the WJC is just crazy talk. I know I'm gonna get a lot of strong negative feedback for my opinion, but I'm just trying to say how it looks from my point.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I know a lot of people are freaking out because it was Drouin hit, but it really doesn't even look that bad. Erne wasn't even going that fast, it was just a bigger guy checking a smaller guy. Definitely boarding, maybe 2-3 games, just to send a message about playing within the rules clearer and protecting a top player etc, but it wasn't heinous at all. Talk about 5+ games and missing the WJC is just crazy talk. I know I'm gonna get a lot of strong negative feedback for my opinion, but I'm just trying to say how it looks from my point.

The fact that he wasn't going that fast makes it worse. Clearly intentional.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
http://metronews.ca/sports/877569/m...rts-drouin-out-with-concussion-like-symptoms/
But the big story was the play that ended Drouin’s night, a fierce check from behind, compliments of Adam Erne that crumpled the Herd’s star forward and left him with concussion-like symptoms.

“They were both cheap shots,” said Ashley referring to his and Drouin’s ordeal.

But, Erne didn’t see it that way.

“He wasn’t far from the boards and I pushed him pretty hard,” said Erne, who also received a game misconduct for the hit. “I thought it was a dive and I thought everybody else did, too. I wouldn’t have even gotten a penalty if he didn’t dive into the boards.”

He also said that Drouin could have absorbed the hit standing up, and avoided injury.

“If he dives and goes head first he’s going to hurt himself,” added Erne, who also knocked Murphy out of the game with a shoulder on shoulder check before stealing the puck and scoring the game’s first goal.

Is there something mentally wrong with Erne, perhaps?

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Had a good view of the hit from my seats... First of all did anyone notice on a PP previous to the hit Drouin toe dragged Erne, made him fall, and shot the puck causing a whistle, and as every settles down Drouin gives Erne a tap on the ass like, "hey, I got ya there" as if they were buddies... Which is what I was thinking as they've played in many prospect events and Tampa camp over the past three years... Then for Erne to do something like that, is strange... weegar has proven to be a tough customer over the last few years, I really wish he got a hold of Erne and could have tee'd off...

And for him to say what he said after the game... Wow.. doing that on the ice is one thing, but to come out after and say it was on Drouin... It's like, what are you thinking kid? Senseless comment on a senseless play. The league should look at this and suspend him accordingly... The onus is all on the hitter (nevermind the Drouin went down easy comment, which he didn't, stupid comment whoever said that) that's a textbook 5+ gamer if you look at past suspensions... Saw his numbers, didn't slow down, injured league superstar for that matter if the Q would like to do Halifax as much of a favour as they can now...

you know the game is bad when Erne's hit wasn't the dirtiest play of the night lol.

OT - whoever said Weegar was a steal, bang on. I know he's already going to be 20 in a few months but the kid has so much more skill and ability than a 7th rounder... Florida gave him a long look, and I think he's a project in the making, but a really, really good Q player.

Similar to this? (Skip to 1:10 if it doesn't load at the right time)

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
ok. it's a push. Does that make it any better in terms of the act and punishment? Not really.

In my opinion yes it does. The play isn't vicious or that bad by any means, just a hockey play gone wrong. I really doubt Erne thought Drouin would go flying into the boards like that after a push that isn't even all that hard.

I get that people are all emotional right now and that's fine considering who got hit. Just saying the hit isn't all that bad in my opinion.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Erne should just have shut up. Or his agent should've told him such.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Why-because he's calling it like he sees it? I'm sure a lot of hockey people agree with him.

the only people I've seen here agree with him have had American flags by their name.

I know I'm biased too being Canadian and wanting Erne to miss the WJC if Drouin does so my opinion is no better than yours or anyone else who has a horse in the race really.

With that said I guess we'll have to wait and see what the Q does as most people who decide to comment on the situation here are probably going to be either Canada/USA biased or Halifax/Quebec biased. Ironically enough Tampa fans might end up being the least biased on the bunch :laugh:

I'm just gonna be really pissed if Drouin misses the WJC, that'd be a huge blow to Canada's chances, if he does I really don't want to see Erne anywhere near the WJC.

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
There was stick work and words exchanged between Drouin and Erne just before that happened too, Erne knew what he was doing from where I was sitting (as a biased Moose season ticket holder). Obviously he wasn't expecting it to be as bad as it ended up. Just a dumb decision, he had a nice goal before that too.

Gotta be at least 5, given the suspension earlier this year.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
the only people I've seen here agree with him have had American flags by their name.

I know I'm biased too being Canadian and wanting Erne to miss the WJC if Drouin does so my opinion is no better than yours or anyone else who has a horse in the race really.

With that said I guess we'll have to wait and see what the Q does as most people who decide to comment on the situation here are probably going to be either Canada/USA biased or Halifax/Quebec biased. Ironically enough Tampa fans might end up being the least biased on the bunch :laugh:

I'm just gonna be really pissed if Drouin misses the WJC, that'd be a huge blow to Canada's chances, if he does I really don't want to see Erne anywhere near the WJC.

I'm American. I'm a Bolts fan. I wouldn't mind if Erne missed the WJC if Drouin did. The comments alone are enough for me to want Yzerman to forget to sign Erne to an ELC. **** him. Comments are worse than the play really.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013

Tampa fan... Pretty disgusted at Erne and would hope he can't play at WJC(If Drouin can't), it may make him grow up some having consequences for his actions.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Not sure the Q had cause to suspend Erne for more than 6 games BEFORE Erne spoke to the media. 6 = Dauphin in SSS, if you recall.

Now ? They totally do.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Not sure the Q had cause to suspend Erne for more than 6 games BEFORE Erne spoke to the media. 6 = Dauphin in SSS, if you recall.

Now ? They totally do.

Dauphin's hit on Baldaev was much more boneheaded, but he didn't come out afterwards and claim that Baldaev took a dive. lol. I had to read Erne's comments like 2-3 times to make sure I read them correctly. Like someone said earlier, I expect some chucklehead on these forums to make comments like that, not Erne himself.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'm curious why Erne "thought everyone else did too" as in thought everyone else thought it was a dive as well.

All the signals he was getting had to be telling him everyone thought it was a bad hit. The ref thought it was bad kicked him out of the game, didn't think it was a dive, no diving penalty. The Halifax dude who beat the **** out of him clearly didn't think it was a dive. None of the crowd cheers for the hit, there was more of a gasp of shock, but they were certainly cheering when Erne was getting beat up, clearly they didn't think it was a dive. (I know it was a Halifax crowd so that's the result you'd expect anyway)

I'm curious what exactly made Erne think everyone agreed with his assessment that Drouin dove?

It's more like he assumed everyone thought the same thing he did and that was a horrible assumption

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Avs fan here, I have absolutely no bias towards anyone. That was a bad hit and the comments were even worse. Nobody is stupid enough to purposely dive head first into the glass, come on. I hope Halifax is being super cautious with Drouin, as I bet they are and do not turn out to be long term issues. Didn't he take a nasty knee hit the night before too? The other team definitely knows who is out on the ice.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
He didn't slow down because he had no speed to begin with. That's a push, he didn't run him.

Quite right. It was a push, didn't look that bad. (I'm not saying it was a clean hit but it was not THAT dirty.) There was clearly no intention to hurt Drouin. Erne was surprised at the outcome of the contact.

Yet, his comments were stupid. He even said he pushed Drouin pretty hard (which on the other hand shows he was honest about it.)

BackhandToeyJoey

Jan 16, 2013

Immature, that's the first thing I thought of.

"Leonard likes this post."

Seriously, I find comment smart with intel to boot. I think Erne should get 5+ for sure.

Macman

May 15, 2004
After reading Erne's comments, so much for the thought the hit wasn't premeditated. No remorse whatsoever. No, "I hope he's alright." No, "I didn't mean to do it, it happened so fast." None of the usual comments in circumstances like this. Just "it was a dive." The guy's are future teammates. What a tool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad