C/LW Arttu Ruotsalainen - Ilves, Liiga (2016 undrafted)

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Why are the Sabres keeping AR in the AHL is beyond me, you'd think that team would need a player like him?...
dude is above ppg in the AHL this season, was completely destroying the Sm-Liiga before the NHL/AHL season begun,

Reactions: 2 others

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
Why are the Sabres keeping AR in the AHL is beyond me, you'd think that team would need a player like him?...
dude is above ppg in the AHL this season, was completely destroying the Sm-Liiga before the NHL/AHL season begun,
Granato still suffers from Kruegeritis. I firmly believe he gave Arttu the Skinner treatment. Granato just has to wake up and do the opposite.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Granato still suffers from Kruegeritis. I firmly believe he gave Arttu the Skinner treatment. Granato just has to wake up and do the opposite.

It could be in his best interest (other than financially) to be in the AHL rather than Buffalo. A great example would be what the Devils did last season with players like McLeod, Sharangovich, Maltsev, Ty Smith, etc.

All are proving to be better than the players they replaced but were left in the AHL (or in Smith's case juniors) to continue to grow and avoid being part of an unsuccessful situation in the NHL.

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
It could be in his best interest (other than financially) to be in the AHL rather than Buffalo. A great example would be what the Devils did last season with players like McLeod, Sharangovich, Maltsev, Ty Smith, etc.

All are proving to be better than the players they replaced but were left in the AHL (or in Smith's case juniors) to continue to grow and avoid being part of an unsuccessful situation in the NHL.

There is some truth in your words

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Lucked in to 3 goals in 8 games.

He improved his shotiing a ton after this thread was made, Ruotsalainen now has a good shot even at NHL level.

He was a playmaker with a muffin of a shot as a junior so quite an improment he has made as a goal scorer.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
The potential has always been there, maybe it was his small size and European, that scouts didn't like :(

Prior to his pro career.

C Sm-Sarja (102 points, 1.76 ppg)
B Sm-Liiga (77 points, 1.17 ppg)
A Sm-Liiga (121 points, 0.93 ppg)

Last 3 pro seasons prior to NA career

119 points in 128 games, in the Sm-Liiga.

And in the AHL, 13 points in 13 games.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Funny to see people blast 3+ years old posts on this guy. He's had a meteoric progression from his draft year.

Draft year: 10 points in 51 games in Liiga Decent but not warranting a pick at 5'8
D+1: 1 point in 34 games in Liiga WTF
D+2 20 points in 60 games in Liiga Ok totals, nothing to write home about
D+3: 42 points in 59 games in Liiga Ok, now we are getting somewhere, might be worth a shot (which the Sabres took)
D+4: 43 points in 44 games in Liiga Good progression.
D+5: 27 points in 19 games in Liiga Awesome progression
And then his NA debut in the AHL/NHL.

He went his whole draft eligible time being unnoticeable to noticeably bad.

He figured things out in his D+3 year and even then, plenty of players with that kind of stats never made it. Just look at Turkulainen who had similar stat (and size) in his Draft years and hasn't been gathering much NHL interest yet.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
Where are the Arttu is mediocre comments now:laugh:
Small size and he really isn't that skilled to play in NHL.

His stats are kinda misleading, 5 points vs Sport in two blowout wins. 7 points in 9 other games, nearly all of those points are on the powerplay or empty net too.

Could be a decent bottom 6 center but with his size, I don't think he will get too many opportunities in the NHL.

Those are my fav and the classic "are you his mom?" Wish they would answer this thread.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
Uh, the guy just isn't very good? Such an odd topic. It's not even some amazing player destroying Liiga or international tournaments or something, the guy just is utterly mediocre.
Hey, Have more opinion on him yet ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad