C/LW Anton Lundell - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Man, Finland's got some legit prospects for the 2020 draft.

Lundell is top prospect but his chances to even challenge Lafreniere for 1st overall in 2020 are theoretic.
But Lundell could very well be first drafted Finn in 2020 draft.

Of course anything can happen.
But lets be real Lafreniere is as sure 1st overall 2020 as Hughes next year ( 2019)

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Lundell is top prospect but his chances to even challenge Lafreniere for 1st overall in 2020 are theoretic.
But Lundell could very well be first drafted Finn in 2020 draft.

Of course anything can happen.
But lets be real Lafreniere is as sure 1st overall 2020 as Hughes next year ( 2019)

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
He should be playing in Liiga right now.

Yeah I agree. Can't remember what game I was watching but the first thing that crossed my mind was Lundell looking like much faster skater compared to last year. His two-way game is what sets him apart from most prospects and I don't think he'd be any sort of defensive liability at least. He's also got a good nose for the net. HIFK will give promote him to the big league this season, I just hope it happens sooner than later (sooner would probably give him great opportunity to be one of the kids selected to the WJC team).

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
Lundell is now making his Liiga debut tonight. I expected that to happen already a week a go, but this isn't that late either. I think Lundell is farily well scouted at this point, the reports seem to be generally correct and quite extensive. Here's my two cents anyway.

Like mentioned, Lundell is definitely mature as player and thus I think he'll do fine in Liiga right now. I wouldn't call it just two-way game though, like if he was defensive minded. He seems to have a very good hockey sense which is clearly shown on the ice. He knows when to attack, when to defend, how to play without the puck (skating lanes etc) so that there's a balance on the ice at all times. He has good vision too, so he can either pass or shoot himself on appropriate times. Some juniors players get a lot points by playing to game "wrong" while Lundell does the right thing, even when he was playing in U18 league. Of course some players can keep playing wrong in pro game and be high skilled unpredictable scorers, but that's not a safe bet.

I agree that Lundell has improved his skating, but I feel like it's still inconsistent. Top speed is pretty good and so is agility. Some times he does seem a lit bit sluggish and he would need more stamina for longer shifts too. There's still time to work on skating. He has been working on his shooting a lot and likes to shoot too. I wouldn't call his shot a definitive strength yet, but working on that could yield some nice results. On faceoffs he is definitely good, so that is another plus for a center.

Obviously he needs more strength, but in junior games he is quite good battling along the boards and in front of the net. He has actually taken some penalties along the boards being too active, which I don't think would happen in pro games. In front of the net he can screen the goalie, deflect shots and score on rebounds. Another asset there. It does seem like currently quite easy to separate from puck when playing against pros.

Overall I'd say he is a good center who has lots of tools and very good hockey sense. It remains to be seen how much he can develop his skating, shooting and overall puck skills, no of which are prospect-elite yet. The guy is a worker, so let's see what happens. I feel like he has already improved during this season.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
For f*** sakes. Now I have to choose between his league debut and Kakko's multi-point hat-trick game (1st and 2nd favourite prospects and not sure in which order). :huh:

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
For f*** sakes. Now I have to choose between his league debut and Kakko's multi-point hat-trick game (1st and 2nd favourite prospects and not sure in which order). :huh:
Also Simontaival is playing for Tappara, Nikkanen & Kokkonen for Jukurit and Heinola is playing for Lukko..

Good times to watch/follow Liiga. Every single game is good to watch if you follow prospects.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Got icetime 13:12 and took one 2min penalty in his 1st liiga game tonight also his plus minus rating was +1.
HIFK lost the game 4-3 vs Pelicans after shootout contest.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Continues HIFK's roster tonight's SM liiga game vs Kalpa.
Lundell is centering HIFK's 4th line ( what a f*** Selin) with Micke Max Åsten and Ilmari Pitkänen

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
His first game was not that good, his skating was very average, no offensive skills and he was behind in almost every play.

His defensive game seemed good, he covered his man well everytime and defended well with his stick. Nothing noteworthy physically.

Of course it was only his first game and he is only 16, but hopefully the next game is better.

Reactions: Paul Maurice

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
Here's the Lundell non-goal shift:

He definitely played better on his second Liiga game. Offensively it usually takes some time for players coming from juniors to adjust from faster pace where they have less time to do things and opponents break up passes and plays much more often. So let's see how fast Lundell stops making those mistakes in his offensive game.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Here's the Lundell non-goal shift:

He definitely played better on his second Liiga game. Offensively it usually takes some time for players coming from juniors to adjust from faster pace where they have less time to do things and opponents break up passes and plays much more often. So let's see how fast Lundell stops making those mistakes in his offensive game.

That goal should have been allowed there's no kick or etc reason to disallow that goal.
Lundell got robbed by the blind referee who didn't recognize clear goal.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
He's so much faster than he was in the U18s this year. Haven't had enough time to follow HIFK, so can someone enlighten me on what he's still doing in the 4th line? Seems such a waste with minimal minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad