C Lukas Sutter - Saskatoon Blades, WHL (2012 Draft)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Had the pleasure of watching him really grow over the last couple of years. Really improved his foot speed and hands this year.

Also had the chance to write this piece on him.

http://saskatoonblades.com/article/a-big-year-for-lukas-sutter

Through November, Sutter has scored 8 goals and added 15 assists for 23 points. To go along with that, he sits at +3 and has posted 68 penalty minutes. That means that Sutter has already doubled his goal total from last year and passed his career high in points, which he set last season. He’s also on pace to post over 175 penalty minutes, just like he did one year ago.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He's had some good showings with U.S. international teams in the past. I'll be interested to see if he gets an invite to the next WJC eval camp next August. Good bottom six guy.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's the first of the second-generation Sutters to have the prototypical Sutter mean streak and scrappiness. He's also the most talented aside from Brandon.

That said, he still projects as a pure bottom-6 player. Average size, average skater, doesn't have top-6 skills. Very similar skillset to his dad Rich.

If his last name was Smith, he'd be a 4th-5th rounder, but he'll probably be taken in the 45-75 range based on name value.

Rshields

Oct 23, 2009
Take a close look at his fight card. I don't see any big test there. Unless you consider taking RNH to a draw as the main event.
Pretenders in that part of the game always get whats coming to them.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
If his last name was Smith, he'd be a 4th-5th rounder, but he'll probably be taken in the 45-75 range based on name value.

I dunno about that, it didn't work for Brody. He passed through his first draft and then in his second year of eligibility he was taken in the 7th.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I dunno about that, it didn't work for Brody. He passed through his first draft and then in his second year of eligibility he was taken in the 7th.

I don't think any of Brody, Brett, or Shaun Sutter would even have been drafted without their last names.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Brett can actually turn out to be a solid 4th line center. He's played well when he's been with the
Canes.

But he's gotten to that point because his dad drafted him with a late round pick, gave him a contract, and gave him icetime for 4 years in the AHL.

Other equal players without the surname wouldn't have gotten the opportunity that he did. He's worked hard to make the most out of almost zero natural ability, though, have to give him credit for that.

He was really a WHL nobody during his draft year - 4th liner who couldn't skate. If Darryl doesn't draft him, he doesn't get drafted.

ean

Nov 27, 2007
I don't think any of Brody, Brett, or Shaun Sutter would even have been drafted without their last names.

But he's gotten to that point because his dad drafted him with a late round pick, gave him a contract, and gave him icetime for 4 years in the AHL.

Other equal players without the surname wouldn't have gotten the opportunity that he did. He's worked hard to make the most out of almost zero natural ability, though, have to give him credit for that.

He was really a WHL nobody during his draft year - 4th liner who couldn't skate. If Darryl doesn't draft him, he doesn't get drafted.

This sounds personal?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This sounds personal?

Not at all.

Just saw all of these guys play in the WHL - Shaun and Brett especially quite a bit - and they were dime-a-dozen bottom-6 WHL forwards of the sort who normally don't have a hope of getting drafted.

It's a fact that players often get a push based on their last name and go way higher than they would have otherwise. Ulf Samuelsson's kid went way off the board a couple years ago, Andy Bathgate would never have been drafted, and so on.

And maybe there's something to it as Brett has really over-achieved relative to what he showed as a junior player.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
I would project him to be a late 1rst early 2nd. He is good, he has all the tools to be a great NHLer. And his speed has gotten better as well.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I doubt he goes that high. He's come along way, considering at this time last year he looked to be a questionable draft pick at all. He's got quicker, his skating has improved and he has REALLY improved his hands this season. Last year he couldn't do anything with the puck.

I expect him to be a late 2nd round pick at the very best. I would imagine he goes in the 3rd round rather comfortably.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Not at all.

Just saw all of these guys play in the WHL - Shaun and Brett especially quite a bit - and they were dime-a-dozen bottom-6 WHL forwards of the sort who normally don't have a hope of getting drafted.

It's a fact that players often get a push based on their last name and go way higher than they would have otherwise. Ulf Samuelsson's kid went way off the board a couple years ago, Andy Bathgate would never have been drafted, and so on.

And maybe there's something to it as Brett has really over-achieved relative to what he showed as a junior player.

MS doesn't stand for Maximillion Sutter, the only undrafted speciman, does it? ;)

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
I am so sold on Sutter it is Crazy. He is exactly the type of player the Habs should pick in the 2nd round (If he is still there) He does everything right.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
He is a good prospect. Name or no name, he should go in the 3rd round. Solid 2-way center

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad