C Logan Stankoven - Texas, AHL (2021, 47th, DAL)

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Not sure why nobody’s talked about this guy. My brother is in the same class as him.
15 year old Logan Stankoven is 5’8 170 lbs and has absolutely tore apart every league he’s been apart of so far. Debuted for the Kamloops Blazers a few weeks ago and got a primary assist on the game winner and was terrific all game. He was projected to go first overall in the bantam draft but he let other teams know he definitely preferred to play for his hometown team, and that’s where he ultimately went, 5th OA in the Bantam draft to the Kamloops Blazers. This kid will be a top ten pick just wait. Absolute insane release on this shot for 15, and his positional play defensively, passing and IQ is off the charts.

Discuss.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not sure why nobody’s talked about this guy. My brother is in the same class as him.
15 year old Logan Stankoven is 5’8 170 lbs and has absolutely tore apart every league he’s been apart of so far. Debuted for the Kamloops Blazers a few weeks ago and got a primary assist on the game winner and was terrific all game. He was projected to go first overall in the bantam draft but he let other teams know he definitely preferred to play for his hometown team, and that’s where he ultimately went, 5th OA in the Bantam draft to the Kamloops Blazers. This kid will be a top ten pick just wait. Absolute insane release on this shot for 15, and his positional play defensively, passing and IQ is off the charts.

Discuss.

He likely would have gone 2nd I think if Trevor Wong wasn't committed to the NCAA. Hell of a player though. Great skater, really good hands. His release is the best part of his game. He can just get it off from anywhere and it's really deceiving. I think his passing leaves a bit to be desired, but he's a shoot first player so it's nothing you can knock him for to much really. Can't see him sticking at center at higher levels but you never know, likely a winger. Seems to like to rush the puck up the right side so I could see him being a RW. The way he plays reminds me of Viktor Arvidsson, though more developed at the same age.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Discuss.

Thank you for starting this, long overdue.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
He likely would have gone 2nd I think if Trevor Wong wasn't committed to the NCAA. Hell of a player though. Great skater, really good hands. His release is the best part of his game. He can just get it off from anywhere and it's really deceiving. I think his passing leaves a bit to be desired, but he's a shoot first player so it's nothing you can knock him for to much really. Can't see him sticking at center at higher levels but you never know, likely a winger. Seems to like to rush the puck up the right side so I could see him being a RW. The way he plays reminds me of Viktor Arvidsson, though more developed at the same age.
Agreed, except I think he can stay at center. His playmaking and 200 ft game is so good. Let’s see how he does next year!

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Agreed, except I think he can stay at center. His playmaking and 200 ft game is so good. Let’s see how he does next year!

5'8 is pretty tough to stick at center in the NHL, especially in a teams top 6. Even Tyler Johnson got shifted to the wing. I have zero doubts he can play center in the WHL. I'm just thinking as he progresses due to his play style of being mostly a shooter. The wing is probably the best spot to maximize his abilities. I think of him as a less overall talented Patty Kane but still damn good in his own right.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
To clarify, there was alot of talk beginning several years ago about another 2003 (from Japan), and it was pretty clear looking at the box scores and watching them live that TW and LS were at least a tier above, and now with what he is doing the MML, HFBoards you let me down.

I am crushed, but it's not too late to restore my faith. After all, you nailed it with Emelio when he was 5 years old . . .

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
5'8 is pretty tough to stick at center in the NHL, especially in a teams top 6. Even Tyler Johnson got shifted to the wing. I have zero doubts he can play center in the WHL. I'm just thinking as he progresses due to his play style of being mostly a shooter. The wing is probably the best spot to maximize his abilities. I think of him as a less overall talented Patty Kane but still damn good in his own right.
He’s 15 years old :laugh: He’ll most likely grow ..

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He’s 15 years old :laugh: He’ll most likely grow ..

Not always how it works. The Hughes brothers barely grew from 15. Some kids shoot up like beanstocks others don't grow by much. I grew 2 inches from 14 years old. A buddy of mine grew 5. Not saying it's not going to happen I just wouldn't bank on it. He'll be lucky to reach 5'11 by the draft.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
To clarify, there was alot of talk beginning several years ago about another 2003 (from Japan), and it was pretty clear looking at the box scores and watching them live that TW and LS were at least a tier above, and now with what he is doing the MML, HFBoards you let me down.

I am crushed, but it's not too late to restore my faith. After all, you nailed it with Emelio when he was 5 years old . . .

Jeebuz! Outscooped by CBC!

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Not always how it works. The Hughes brothers barely grew from 15. Some kids shoot up like beanstocks others don't grow by much. I grew 2 inches from 14 years old. A buddy of mine grew 5. Not saying it's not going to happen I just wouldn't bank on it. He'll be lucky to reach 5'11 by the draft.
I grew from 5’6 to 6’3 the summer going into grade 12. His parents aren’t massive but they’re not midgets either, I think he’ll be at least 5’10.

Last edited:

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
To be clear, while he is drafted and played a game(s) with Kamloops Blazers WHL, he is mostly playing Kamloops Blazers MML. 5 game limit without exceptional status?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
To be clear, while he is drafted and played a game(s) with Kamloops Blazers WHL, he is mostly playing Kamloops Blazers MML. 5 game limit without exceptional status?

Also when his MML season ends, he can play how ever many games the team wants even if it exceeds the game limit. But his MML season HAS to be over

for example, when Brayden Point was 15, he played 5 games with Moose Jaw... When his season ended, he joined Moose Jaw and ended up playing another 14 games in the WHL playoffs. There are many many occasions like that, i just used him as an example

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Do you guys think he could be the number 1 draft pick in 2021? As far as I know Hughes is still considered 1st for 2019 although others are closing the gap. Lafreniere is the favourite for 2020 and Early on Savoie and Wright look like they’ll be competing for 1st in 2022, but there seems to be no favourites for 2021 and instead there is just a logjam of names that could rise to the top. Is Stankoven’s name definitely among them?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Do you guys think he could be the number 1 draft pick in 2021? As far as I know Hughes is still considered 1st for 2019 although others are closing the gap. Lafreniere is the favourite for 2020 and Early on Savoie and Wright look like they’ll be competing for 1st in 2022, but there seems to be no favourites for 2021 and instead there is just a logjam of names that could rise to the top. Is Stankoven’s name definitely among them?

Obviously Stankoven is extremely skilled but i definately have to wait and see how he does at the next level before i can fully predict his NHL potential

Size is the main factor for him... Its completely up in the air how much more he will grow. He is small and quite stocky already and mom is short and dad is roughly 5'9ish(the dad even says Logan wont grow much more he doesnt think). I know the family and have seen him play alot at every level he has played at and he dominated every time(played all minor hockey in Kamloops and then played at an academy in bantam in Abbotsford)... But now obviously the next level is here next season and we will see.

He was recently called up and played a game with the Blazers and he didnt look out of place and IMO could easily step in now and be in Kamloops top 6. Sure he looked quite small out there but his size wasnt an issue for him.

I fully anticipate him being an extremely high point getter for Kamloops in a few years so then the question will come... Does a team forget how small he is and take him high or do teams pass on him due to his size and he doesnt get drafted till later... Time will tell. Every NHL draft we see these small high point getting players either get passed on or not get drafted till later. Youd think after Debrincat's success that teams will finally not care too much about size.. Especially those stockier/more developed type like Logan.

Also just a fyi, he had North Dakota, Michigan, Wisconsin, BU, BC and Harvard all begging him to commit to them in NCAA but he chose to stick with playing for the Blazers

Last edited:

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

No idea, but any discussion should include him at this point. Just like any discussion of 2023 should include ConnorB.

Reactions: grentthealien

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
No idea, but any discussion should include him at this point. Just like any discussion of 2023 should include ConnorB.

Yeah there is no real clear front runner for 2021 yet. Should be a real dog fight for the top. WHL is looking pretty solid. Q will have some decent prospects. OHL looks kinda weak but there are always some risers there. Sweden and Finland looks average outside of one kid. Though Sweden has a solid goalie prospect. US has a decent crop. By this time next year some kids should be separating themselves early and I imagine Logan will be right at the top amongst them. Draft doesn't look particularly deep but could be a little top heavy depending on how some kids develop.

Reactions: wetcoast

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Obviously Stankoven is extremely skilled but i definately have to wait and see how he does at the next level before i can fully predict his NHL potential

Size is the main factor for him... Its completely up in the air how much more he will grow. He is small and quite stocky already and mom is short and dad is roughly 5'9ish(the dad even says Logan wont grow much more he doesnt think). I know the family and have seen him play alot at every level he has played at and he dominated every time(played all minor hockey in Kamloops and then played at an academy in bantam in Abbotsford)... But now obviously the next level is here next season and we will see.

He was recently called up and played a game with the Blazers and he didnt look out of place and IMO could easily step in now and be in Kamloops top 6. Sure he looked quite small out there but his size wasnt an issue for him.

I fully anticipate him being an extremely high point getter for Kamloops in a few years so then the question will come... Does a team forget how small he is and take him high or do teams pass on him due to his size and he doesnt get drafted till later... Time will tell. Every NHL draft we see these small high point getting players either get passed on or not get drafted till later. Youd think after Debrincat's success that teams will finally not care too much about size.. Especially those stockier/more developed type like Logan.

Also just a fyi, he had North Dakota, Michigan, Wisconsin, BU, BC and Harvard all begging him to commit to them in NCAA but he chose to stick with playing for the Blazers
I know the family also..agree with almost everything here.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I know the family also..agree with almost everything here.

Excited to see how this kid develops. From what I've seen he looks like exactly what the Canucks need moving forward.

Since you know the family, how do you pronounce his last name? Can we use #PackItInForStankoven or do we have to resort to the low hanging fruit #TankForStank??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad