C Leighton Carruthers - Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL (2022 Draft)

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Shoot-first forward with powerful skating ability, I personally don't see enough playmaking and offensive creativity for him to be a high-end NHL prospect, and he's already pretty well developed physically. That said, he's a guy that brings a physical element and is a very dangerous scorer. If he can improve his ability to use linemates, he could be a legitimate NHL draft pick. I think he was a bit of a reach but he also brought elements that St-John lacks after drafting skill guys like Josh Roy, Peter Reynolds, and with guys like Burns and Lawrence driving their offense as well.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Shoot-first forward with powerful skating ability, I personally don't see enough playmaking and offensive creativity for him to be a high-end NHL prospect, and he's already pretty well developed physically. That said, he's a guy that brings a physical element and is a very dangerous scorer. If he can improve his ability to use linemates, he could be a legitimate NHL draft pick. I think he was a bit of a reach but he also brought elements that St-John lacks after drafting skill guys like Josh Roy, Peter Reynolds, and with guys like Burns and Lawrence driving their offense as well.

Also add Cameron Macdonald to that.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Yeah he could be a good complimentary shoot-first power forward type. Might be able to improve his hockey sense and vision to round-out his game but he should be a good piece for that SJ team.

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018

"Carruthers is a high-energy forechecking forward who highlighted an outstanding motor, a dedication to finish every checks and a splendid strength. He showcased an excellent speed and aggressiveness, burning a ton of calories by applying pressure all around the ice. He was notably relentlessly disturbing opponents with a pesky stick. Carruthers got back down low if needed, but his enthusiasm to throw his body around could put him out of the play at times, especially with his defensive zone coverage. Outside of a nice backhand drive to the net, he didn’t generate many offensive chances. I’d love to see more from him on that front, adding poise, creativity and playmaking to his game. His intensity and physicality seem valuable, but he’ll need to add meat to the bone to draw draft attention."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad