C Kurt Etchegary (2013 undrafted) -retiring

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/sp...berpresse_en-vedette_91290_section_ECRAN1POS2

On the day of his birthday, November 12, Kurt Etchegary learned he'd have to undergo heart surgery. During the NHL combine, ultrasound showed he had liquid around his heart. At first they thought they had solved the problem but it came back.

Dr Mulder, who also works for the Canadiens, now follows him and decided he needed to do the operation on thursday. Dr. Mulder believes there's a link between his heart problems and microcystic lymphangioma that Etchegary has had since he was born. This microcystic lymphangioma is responsible for the problems to his face, for those who didn't know. Won't be open heart surgery.

Philippe Boucher: «S'il y en a un qui a été éprouvé depuis sa jeunesse, c'est bien lui. Il démontre de la persévérance de façon incroyable depuis qu'il porte le chandail des Remparts. On est avec lui et il prend ça comme un vrai, comme un autre obstacle qu'il doit surmonter.»

"If there is one person for whom it hasn't been easy since his youth, it's him. He has shown incredible perseverance since he's been with the Remparts. We're with him and he takes it like a champ, another obstacle he must overcome. "

Wish him the best, just a terrific kid.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
All the best to him, he's a fellow Newfoundlander so I bet the hockey community back here is thinking of him today and during his recovery time.

Analyzer*

All the best to him.

I thought someone would pick him around the 5th round, or later.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
All the best to him.

I thought someone would pick him around the 5th round, or later.

I believe his heart condition was known and scared teams off. He did get an invite to the Wings camp after the draft.

But like the article says, it definitely doesn't seem like he's had an easy go of it. Wishing him the best.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Heart surgeries aren't that hard anymore, that is why so many doctors become cardiovascular surgeons. Actually this surgery doesn't even affect the heart, the lymph nodes and vessels around the heart.

Plus malformation of those lymph nodes have a very little chance of becoming malignant.

He will be fine.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
More news coming tomorrow but so far so good. Etchegary is expected to stay 1 or 2 more days in hospital.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Kid's had a lot of tough luck, he's a hard-working guy who plays for the logo on the front and not the name on the back. You don't see a lot of characteristics like that from junior players, sticks up for his teammates no matter what. Real character guy, best of wishes to him.

Dgill

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
www.metroho.com
The best thing to come out of this is that it's being addressed before it's too late. Too often it seems lately that we see a young athlete collapse due to a heart issue. Here's to a full a speedy recovery for Etchegary.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
The best thing to come out of this is that it's being addressed before it's too late. Too often it seems lately that we see a young athlete collapse due to a heart issue. Here's to a full a speedy recovery for Etchegary.

Sure is. It's very unfortunate it took Cherepanov's death for the NHL to have players' heart tested at the combine but the addition of ultrasound may have saved Etchegary's life. From what we heard, his heart problem was unexpected and could have lead to serious health issues if not treated.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Kurt Etchegary : Retiring at 21

Quebec Remparts's former captain Kurt Etchegary, who was a two times invite at the Red Wings camp, announced his retirement this week because his body couldn't do it anymore.

I remember in his draft year, in 2013, he was confident to get picked. Here comes the draft and nobody takes him. Then his agent learns there was a misunderstanding with his physical tests. The Kings' scout tells him they would have picked him if they knew it was a misunderstanding so they invited him to their camp. Etchegary received 4 invites to NHL camps and decided to go to Detroit.

That guy had the biggest heart but sadly, the rest wasn't strong enough.

Jeff Marek wrote a nice article about him.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juni...-trade-jake-bean-nhl-draft-chl-ohl-qmjhl-whl/

He had double hip surgery in 2012.

He went through three heart fluid removal surgeries in 2013.

He played with separated shoulder and ligament damage in his wrist in 2015 QMJHL President Cup and the MasterCard Memorial Cup.

He probably needs surgery on that wrist and quite possibly another hip procedure.

Kurt Etchegary called it a career last week.

At 21.

It’s always a sad story when the head says go but the body says no; the game is littered with such tales. But the former Quebec Remparts captain knows it’s time to walk away from the game that’s kept him from his St. John’s, Newfoundland home since the age of 13 when he moved to Montreal with his mother and sister to pursue his hockey dream.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Nov 12, 2015
Springfield
Sucks... But why do you have to move from Newfoundland to Montreal to "pursue your hockey dream"? Its not like he was living in Japan.

I guarentee there are thousands of kids that go through this same thing in their sports careers and there are no articles written about them. Some get even closer to the NHL than this guy

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Sounds like retiring was the right decision. He's still very young and can make a career in anything with 4 years of university paid for by junior hockey.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Sucks... But why do you have to move from Newfoundland to Montreal to "pursue your hockey dream"? Its not like he was living in Japan.

I guarentee there are thousands of kids that go through this same thing in their sports careers and there are no articles written about them. Some get even closer to the NHL than this guy

You can play hockey in Newfoundland but at 13-14-15, development is better elsewhere. He also had to leave before being Midget AAA eligible in order to play with Lac Saint-Louis. He played with Drouin, Duclair and Matheson the year they won it all.

Of course, there are plenty of stories like this. It was a good read nonetheless.

Etchegary was also born with a Lymphangioma. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lymphangioma

kurt_etchegary.jpg

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
That sucks, I was pulling for him to make it somewhere, especially after the story about him getting passed over in the draft because of an error. He looked absolutely crushed sitting in the stands.

I knew he had health issues but had no idea it was this bad. I guess he made the right choice (and, ultimately, the teams made the right choice in not selecting him). Nice read by Marek too.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
More former junior players should do this to be honest. The CHL offers players a year of free universuty education for every year they played in the CHL. So after playing for 4 years, you've earned yourself a free degree. Instead way too many guys bounce around in Tier 3 minor leagues making $10,000 per year.

HomerJSimpson

Nov 12, 2015
Springfield
You can play hockey in Newfoundland but at 13-14-15, development is better elsewhere. He also had to leave before being Midget AAA eligible in order to play with Lac Saint-Louis. He played with Drouin, Duclair and Matheson the year they won it all.

Of course, there are plenty of stories like this. It was a good read nonetheless.

Etchegary was also born with a Lymphangioma. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lymphangioma

kurt_etchegary.jpg

I remember dudes face from NHL 14. I always wondered what happened and thought he must have got in a fight before the pic was taken.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland

As someone who grew up playing hockey in Newfoundland, you just are not going to progress enough unless you go away, earlier the better. Not enough quality coaching among other things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad