C Kent Johnson - Cleveland Monsters, AHL (2021, 5th, CBJ)

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
How does he compare to other recent top Canadian C prospects? (Dubois, Patrick, Hayton, Dach, Byfield)?
Clearly the best in terms of pure talent and the “magic” factor. Has a case for best skater, too, although that’s some top competition.

A year out from the draft, I think he’s a shade behind where Byfield and Patrick were, a shade above Dach, and clearly above Hayton and Dubois.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Imagine if he were say 2-3 inches taller. He and Gunther are my favorites for the Sens to snag.

Word on the street is he is clocking in at 6'2. I'm more interested in seeing him add mass, which is completely standard.

Much like Newhook last year, I think he will come into the NCAA and hugely outperform the expectations of most. So skilled.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Word on the street is he is clocking in at 6'2. I'm more interested in seeing him add mass, which is completely standard.

Much like Newhook last year, I think he will come into the NCAA and hugely outperform the expectations of most. So skilled.

All the top forwards on elite prospect show heights of 6'1 which is just funny.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
This kid is going to be special.

He has edges like Barzal and the first two Hughes brothers.

He’s has the creative mind of players like Kane and Panarin.

He’s got a winner’s mentality and is a feisty competitor judging by all the reports and interviews.

When considering the attributes,I think he could be a similar player to Point in a bigger body.

I’d call him the clear cut first overall right now. I’ve had him there since early last season.

Last edited:

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
This kid is going to be special.

He has edges like Barzal and the first two Hughes brothers.

He’s has the creative mind of players like Kane and Panarin.

He’s got a winner’s mentality and is a feisty competitor judging by all the reports and interviews.

When considering the attributes,I think he could be a similar player to Point in a bigger body.

I’d call him the clear cut first overall right now. I’ve had him there since early last season.

He sounds like Dylan Larkin on steroids. Would be a perfect fit for Detroit’s rebuild.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
He sounds like Dylan Larkin on steroids. Would be a perfect fit for Detroit’s rebuild.

I'll defer to you as the Wings fan, but I see him as more of a cheeky, Marner type player. Unbelievable passing skills and the vision to pull off things other players don't even begin to consider.

Skating-wise, his stride isn't quite there and it still takes him some time to get to top speed. But he's grown a lot in a short period of time, so I expect some added strength and a bit of coaching will go miles for him.

Check out the sequence at 1:26:

Reactions: Sam

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
He’s clearly the top forward in the draft at this point. The Pettersson comparison is pretty solid.

Still, I struggle to say he’s the top pick right now, when I see so much Victor Hedman in Power and Seth Jones in Clarke.

The only thing I am set on is that it’s hilarious how many rankings still have Raty above any of that trio.

Reactions: wetcoast

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
He’s clearly the top forward in the draft at this point. The Pettersson comparison is pretty solid.

Still, I struggle to say he’s the top pick right now, when I see so much Victor Hedman in Power and Seth Jones in Clarke.

The only thing I am set on is that it’s hilarious how many rankings still have Raty above any of that trio.

Johnson’s been playing hockey in the Kootenay’s for a couple years, so while it might be hilarious, it’s hardly surprising. If/when UMich gets rolling, heads will start to turn.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I think having 2 lines of
Tkachuk-Stutzle-xxxx
Xxxx-Johnson-Holtz
Would be better even if it came at the expense of Sanderson

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Batherson
Brown-Johnson-Norris
Balcers-Pinto-Sokolov

Sanderson will have chemistry with Pinto, JBD, Kleven and if we get him Scott Morrow. So trading Sanderson is dumb

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
He's extremely similar to Zegras. Could work like Kane and Panarin did, but maybe it doesn't. It's something to consider if Anaheim is in a position to draft him next year.

Definitely lacks Zegras’ snarl. He won the Lady Byng equivalent trophy in the BCHL last year. Playmaking wise, agreed

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Definitely lacks Zegras’ snarl. He won the Lady Byng equivalent trophy in the BCHL last year. Playmaking wise, agreed

Zegras doesn't have a ton of snarl, in my opinion. He's maybe a little more two-way inclined right now than Johnson, but he's also like a year and a half older, so he should be further along.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad