C Jay O'Brien - Toronto Marlies, AHL (2018, 19th, PHI released)

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Exactly - New England kids have to go to the Q, that's why its really rare for a New England kid to play major junior. No body wants to get banished to some small Quebec town in the middle of nowhere...

Probably doesn't help that Shawinigan owns his rights too.

They finished this season at 14-49-5.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
there isn't, but people seem to forget that in order for him to play in the CHL, he would need to play in the Q and that just isn't happening for many US kids. they just do not want to play in a league/team that speaks French or has any added difficulties adjusting. I would have preferred the USHL, but it is what it is for a kid that wants to transfer. it would be interesting to see what school he picks after this, Wisconsin would be a great place to go for him with top talent coming in the next 2 seasons.

He’d be very smart to look at Wisconsin and Denver.

Also, an interesting fit for O’Brien would be PSU imo. I know it’s off the beaten path a bit, but they’re a legit program now and they absolutely love to play run and gun. To me, he’s got a great skillset for their system.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He can't go to a new University till 20-21, right?

Flyers prospect Jay O’Brien leaving Providence, exploring other options after ‘tough year’

O’Brien, who will take part in the Flyers’ prospects camp this June in Voorhees, said he has two weeks of classes remaining at Providence, “and then I’ll probably figure out what the best plan is.”

“Obviously I had a tough time with injuries this year, and coming straight out of high school and going to college was an adjustment,” he said. “But I think. for me, taking a step back and playing more games [is important]. I’m not sure where I’m going to play next year. My agent has told me, and the same with the people in Philly, that there’s no rush. Philly was totally fine with the decision.”

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
people also forget this kid did play for team USA at the WJC, he wasn't terrible there - he made a pretty deep crop of forwards and though he didn't wow anyone, but you can see the talent that is there. he had a tough year and just seems to be looking at his options right now. he might not even stick in the BCHL, seems like still up for discussion and USHL or even Europe could be an option for him..he already played some for the USNDP and Youngstown last year in the USHL..maybe wants to see somewhere different.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
He’d be very smart to look at Wisconsin and Denver.

Also, an interesting fit for O’Brien would be PSU imo. I know it’s off the beaten path a bit, but they’re a legit program now and they absolutely love to play run and gun. To me, he’s got a great skillset for their system.

Anythings possible, but a Mass kid going anywhere other than Hockey East is pretty shocking

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Anythings possible, but a Mass kid going anywhere other than Hockey East is pretty shocking
well if he heads out West to the BCHL, me thinks he wants to get away from that area...I said Wisconsin because I believe they can do wonders with him there, but Denver has Brink coming in next year, they would definitely love to have him as well..I don't see him heading back to Hockey East to be honest..

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
well if he heads out West to the BCHL, me thinks he wants to get away from that area...I said Wisconsin because I believe they can do wonders with him there, but Denver has Brink coming in next year, they would definitely love to have him as well..I don't see him heading back to Hockey East to be honest..

Good point. Although he wouldve had to leave home regardless to go back to jrs. Wonder if someone in the Q tries to trade for his rights

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Transferring within conference in the NCAA is hard IIRC

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Transferring within conference in the NCAA is hard IIRC

I dont think its hard its just uncommon because 1) there arent a ton of D1 - D1 transfers each year, there are a ton more D1 to D3 transfers each year and 2) transfers usually struggle at top programs and then transfer to worse teams in worse conferences because they will get more ice there. Holway went from Maine to Merrimack last year and Wilkie went from North Dakota to Colorado college the year before. So it does happen

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Why'd he struggle so hard out of highschool? For example, Tufte went from highschool to NCAA and did OK in his freshman year. He was also a 98 birth year playing NCAA in 16-17 while O'Brien is a 99 birth year playing NCAA in 18-19..

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

I'd love him here, but we have like 100 commitments already. I'm not sure Granato totally understands recruiting management.
North Dakota or Denver would be ideal, imo.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'd love him here, but we have like 100 commitments already. I don't see anyway a green college coach like Granato will be able to honor them all.
North Dakota or Denver would be ideal, imo.
you will only have Turcotte for 1 year, and Holloway and Caufield for 2 years..perfect timing for him to step right in at that point.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Good point. Although he wouldve had to leave home regardless to go back to jrs. Wonder if someone in the Q tries to trade for his rights

Patrick Roy gm/coach in Quebec City made that type of move before so he would be my guess.

Reactions: bigdog16

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Why'd he struggle so hard out of highschool? For example, Tufte went from highschool to NCAA and did OK in his freshman year. He was also a 98 birth year playing NCAA in 16-17 while O'Brien is a 99 birth year playing NCAA in 18-19..
The obvious answer is that he sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad